Hyrule Conquest

9 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Here's a question I should have asked before I started on these guys, Is there a way to give  a projectile an explosion or particle effect after it hits the ground or a target? The Gorons have quite a few weapons that go boom, it's kind of awkward having bombs just sitting there while everyone around the bomb drops dead. :huh:

Soon: D945

14 hours ago, gameboy said:

@The Undying Nephalim

It's a demo.HyruleConquest.exe ???

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xao2mq5mx4ih1l4/HyruleConquest.zip?dl=0 here is a link to his zipped version. The exe extracts the mod into the mods folder on windows. For this version just unzip the content, open the folder, copy the Hyrule directory into the main directory of your 0AD mods folder. That worked for me on Linux. Currently the game is a demo as he has only recently started the process of porting Hyrule Total War to the 0AD engine. As a side note if he doesn't release future zip versions it is not difficult to run the exe extraction in wine. Just have it 'install' the mod into a folder named Hyrule and copy that folder into your mods directory once its done.

Edited by Baskom Welford

Another question. I noticed this in template files:

<walk>actor/human/movement/walk.xml</walk>
<run>actor/human/movement/walk.xml</run>

However it doesn't seem to work an units don't have walking or running sounds. Is this feature broken or is there something else that has to be done to get walking sounds to play?

There is a run.xml sound group. So it's a mistake or it is intentional because the current run sound is bad or it was intentional because we previously didn't have that sound or any other reason.

Thx for noticing.

EDIT: ah in fact you point out something. There is actually no move (walk or run) sound emited, isn't it? (quick impression: we'd need to give the sound when selecting move animation in  UnitAI (and also saying explicitly if it's the run or walk one in UnitAI.prototype.SelectAnimation as done for the animation).

15 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

EDIT: ah in fact you point out something. There is actually no move (walk or run) sound emited, isn't it? (quick impression: we'd need to give the sound when selecting move animation in  UnitAI (and also saying explicitly if it's the run or walk one in UnitAI.prototype.SelectAnimation as done for the animation).

What should I add in unitai to get it working? I'd like to have giant stomping sounds for some of my huge units. B)

10 minutes ago, fcxSanya said:

@The Undying Nephalim I updated the buttons layout in the civ choices mod to be closer to your original mockup:

screenshot0025.png

The changes are here: https://github.com/AlexanderOlkhovskiy/0ad-civ-choices-mod/commit/1953e8ba0c124b2161fce646573f50253e45336b

That is awesome! I'll implement this sometime today and see how it turns out! 

• Like 1

I got another question. How easy would it be to implement a build system kind of like Battle for Middle Earth 1?
For example the Civic Center spawns several placement circles around it and you use those to build additional structures instead of using workers. I'd really love for the Gorons to have a build style like this, to give the illusion that their bases are one giant ever expanding mountain:
1k0EtAC.jpg
LzIQwAK.jpgVYPCQ2H.jpg

I have no idea how to pull this off in 0AD though.

• Like 2

That's a nice feature from BFME1. (BFME2 removed it and had free placement for everything.) Probably would be done through the upgrade system like the small tower to large tower upgrade, or even the conversion of a wall segment to a gate. If you wanted to change what you had already built there, you would have to have a default upgrade that "destroys" it to return to a state that would allow you to upgrade again. Would have to link several entities together somehow to allow the separate upgrade plots and to create the overall shape to allow for concave sections in the footprint of the combined entity. I'm not sure how to do the combination part or if the upgrade system is the best method either. Just some ideas. Someone else may have a better option.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

That's a nice feature from BFME1. (BFME2 removed it and had free placement for everything.) Probably would be done through the upgrade system like the small tower to large tower upgrade, or even the conversion of a wall segment to a gate. If you wanted to change what you had already built there, you would have to have a default upgrade that "destroys" it to return to a state that would allow you to upgrade again. Would have to link several entities together somehow to allow the separate upgrade plots and to create the overall shape to allow for concave sections in the footprint of the combined entity. I'm not sure how to do the combination part or if the upgrade system is the best method either. Just some ideas. Someone else may have a better option.

Yeah that's I guess the only way of doing it without adding any more code.

34 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think there needs to be a "slotting" system implemented, like how in Age of Mythology you could only build CCs by slotting them onto an unclaimed settlement. Same basic concept as the BfME1 base-building scheme.

Would be a really nice feature to have.

• Like 1

If you wanted to change what you had already built there, you would have to have a default upgrade that "destroys" it to return to a state that would allow you to upgrade again. 

Or you can always have all other upgrade options in each variant to directly switch from one to another.

Would have to link several entities together somehow to allow the separate upgrade plots and to create the overall shape to allow for concave sections in the footprint of the combined entity. I'm not sure how to do the combination part or if the upgrade system is the best method either.

9 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

Yeah that's I guess the only way of doing it without adding any more code.

56 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think there needs to be a "slotting" system implemented, like how in Age of Mythology you could only build CCs by slotting them onto an unclaimed settlement. Same basic concept as the BfME1 base-building scheme.

I see two alternatives here:

a.) what wowgetoffyourcellphone is saying, i. e. restricting the CC placement to predefined slots, which along with subsections would be placed on the map by the map designer. This presumable may be done without any new code (depending on how unclaimed settlement capture / upgrade would be implemented), but would affect all civs and the map making process (including random map scripting).

b.) keeping the free CC placement and adding a new simulation component which would spawn the subsections after the building construction.

The AOM/CC thing was just an example. :) For Hyrule Conquest, all buildings would be required to be built on the slots for this one civ only.

b.) was more what I was thinking too, but slotting in general would just be a useful feature for all kinds of things.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

1 hour ago, fcxSanya said:

Or you can always have all other upgrade options in each variant to directly switch from one to another.

This is a method I considered originally, the only problem is if it's all upgrades from one buildings with lots of variants, it's still technically just one building in game and not multiple selectable buildings. There is another faction I'm making down the road that will probably use this method, where they just have one starting selectable building that continually upgrades into a giant fortress.

1 hour ago, fcxSanya said:

a.) what wowgetoffyourcellphone is saying, i. e. restricting the CC placement to predefined slots, which along with subsections would be placed on the map by the map designer. This presumable may be done without any new code (depending on how unclaimed settlement capture / upgrade would be implemented), but would affect all civs and the map making process (including random map scripting

This might be the best alternative, considering even on specifically designed maps it would be difficult for a player to set up another BFME style base. There would be a risk of building plots ending up in rivers, on mountains, or other impassable areas if they placed the center building too close to objects with collision. This is probably why in BFME1 even the expansion bases were all on pre-set nodes.

If I go with this method I might have pre-set mountain like gaia structures on all the maps that the Gorons can capture with soldiers and convert into new bases. It would make their playstyle pretty different from some of the other factions since they cant build town centers where they want.

fcxSanya's suggestion b) would be most likely the way to go without adding tons of code. Especially just having those subsection/slot entities able to upgrade to whatever. That results in multiple buildings which might or might not be what you want. Even if that is not what is wanted one could just add a little code that "forwards" everything to the main building, without having the drawbacks of having to find a placement spot the size of the maximum expansion.

As for some users having issues with the order of the mods, you should specify the dependency on 0ad in your mod.json.

3 hours ago, wraitii said:

Creating a simple component to create spawn points around new buildings doesn't sound unfeasible, so long as you're careful. But it's a fair amount of code already.

I don't think I'm skilled enough to create a new component that does what I want it to do. Just looking at the wallset component file for an example has me scratching my head. :o

• Stan` pinned this topic