Hyrule Conquest

3 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

3. Is there a way for a unit to deal damage on death? My current solution is to spawn an invisible unit with a damaging aura on death... but then there's no way to make the invisible unit with the aura disappear after X amount of time, not that I can figure out anyway

Give the invisible unit a large damage attack and also a negative health regen so high it lasts only for 1s (acid splash)

Or 2s or whatever

But this is in for A23

Destruction Damage

One of the new features that targets 0 A.D. (but also mods and other RTS that once might use the Pyrogenesis engine) is the ability of units to deal damage to surrounding enemies when they are destroyed. The effect is demonstrated by Fireships that can and will sink enemy ships if not taken care by the enemy combatant.

I always knew Hyrule was in the pacific.

To answer your questions, no, no, kinda.

The first two seem easy. However, if you didn't want weird things to happen: Collision detection, position, and maps would be a problem. The projectiles could spawn a unit in a remote location, the raised forest rim of some maps (plateaus, water). Also cramped battles and spawning multiple units on death could cause overlap. Its just riddled with problems. Possible yes but it's confusing and problematic to implement. It would be neat to fire a boulder from a catapult/trebuchet and have the boulder roll around (and maybe break apart).

1 minute ago, SirPope said:

The first two seem easy. However, if you didn't want weird things to happen: Collision detection, position, and maps would be a problem. The projectiles could spawn a unit in a remote location, the raised forest rim of some maps (plateaus, water). Also cramped battles and spawning multiple units on death could cause overlap. Its just riddled with problems. Possible yes but it's confusing and problematic to implement. It would be neat to fire a boulder from a catapult/trebuchet and have the boulder roll around (and maybe break apart).

In the case of the Gohma one of their units flings very small larva, I could probably just give the larva no collision.

• Like 1

Some other strange issues I've run into. I'm using the Cinematic Camera path to put together a trailer, but for some reason when in the cinematic mode the perspective of everything is extremely messed up:

Spoiler

4V8gn2X.jpg

Almost like everything is being pinched towards the top center of the screen and flattened. I've tried the various style modes, growth, expo, circle, etc but the same problem persists. Is there also a way to have the UI still visible when a cinematic camera is moving?

11 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I seem to recall someone mentioning that ambient sounds for units was a thing, how would I go about implementing that for my units?

It will be for A24. If I manage to do it and get it reviewed. It's not a "thing" for now.

Some other strange issues I've run into. I'm using the Cinematic Camera path to put together a trailer, but for some reason when in the cinematic mode the perspective of everything is extremely messed up. Almost like everything is being pinched towards the top center of the screen and flattened.

Yes, @elexis already mentioned this problem, I'm working on it.

Is there also a way to have the UI still visible when a cinematic camera is moving?

Look at handleInputAfterGui function in input.js and updateCinemaPath function in session.js.

Gohma look great, and appropriately disgusting both in terms of appearance and in terms of micromanagement.  :D

I assume that features like "dodging", "critical hits", proper goron bases and stealth (do anything except trapdoor gohma should be stealthy right now?) are coming in A24 too?

Also, just to be sure, will Gohma AI work properly in first release? (I think i seen that it will, somewhere...)

Edited by MCreeper
  • Like 1

Vladislav, The Undying Nephalim, about the perspective cinematic trailer, I noticed the distorted perspective in regular games too. I think the openGL view is tuned for a fixed window ratio, like 4:3, but if we use a different ratio it will appear broken. Try to resize your window to something like 1000*350 and rotate, it will appear messed up.

In case you want to render it more consistently, you can use the screenshot rendering hack here https://github.com/elexis1/0ad/tree/trailerhacks_a23 which allows you to render with a fixed FPS rate independent of the CPU and GPU lag. Needs compiling of the program however. (And the JPEG support doesn't work on windows yet, so the JPEG commits would have to be excluded there. Hopefully going to be merged next release.)

11 hours ago, MCreeper said:

I assume that features like "dodging", "critical hits", proper goron bases and stealth (do anything except trapdoor gohma should be stealthy right now?) are coming in A24 too?

Exodarion might have the Goron base plots working as soon as the next few weeks, there's no confirmation on that. I am under the impression Stealth is already in the engine in some form, the devs just didn't like it and don't use it as a mechanic in the game's current form. I've not yet got a clear answer on how to use Stealth and I've not investigated the matter yet as I think it's a lower priority. I'm not sure when the devs plan to add anything like Dodging and Critical Hits.

9 hours ago, elexis said:

Needs compiling of the program however.

I might just not bother with overhead shots I guess. Is there any way to get workers to do things without the player input when the cinematic mode is running? Or do the 0AD devs just set the cinematic on some timer and order units and workers around before the camera kicks in?

10 hours ago, elexis said:

Vladislav, The Undying Nephalim, about the perspective cinematic trailer, I noticed the distorted perspective in regular games too. I think the openGL view is tuned for a fixed window ratio, like 4:3, but if we use a different ratio it will appear broken. Try to resize your window to something like 1000*350 and rotate, it will appear messed up.

Understood. It's the distortion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_projection_distortion. It can be fixed/corrected with special projection matrices (it may looks like a panorama with it) or postprocessing corrections.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I am under the impression Stealth is already in the engine in some form, the devs just didn't like it and don't use it as a mechanic in the game's current form.

A form of that is wanted for the Iberians (ability to hide in woods), but I don't believe there is any code support so far.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I might just not bother with overhead shots I guess. Is there any way to get workers to do things without the player input when the cinematic mode is running? Or do the 0AD devs just set the cinematic on some timer and order units and workers around before the camera kicks in?

First the map is created in atlas, units and buildings placed, then a game is started in which all units receive their orders, then the path is created in atlas. Then the replay is played with the cinematic path enabled. You can do the same without cinematic paths and just record a replay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, elexis said:

First the map is created in atlas, units and buildings placed, then a game is started in which all units receive their orders, then the path is created in atlas. Then the replay is played with the cinematic path enabled. You can do the same without cinematic paths and just record a replay.

That is awesome, I didn't realize I could have the camera disabled and then have it play during a replay. :victory:

I've got another question, is there a way to make a fast moving projectile look like a solid beam? My first solution was to just give sprites a very high emission rate, but the effect really only works for slow moving projectiles. If the projectile moves too fast there's still big gaps and it doesn't look like a solid beam.

14 hours ago, Ozerol Notna said:

Will it work with the .22 version as well?

Did you mean .23? If so then no, it will not work with .23. I'm currently updating Conquest to be compatible with .23

4 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I've got another question, is there a way to make a fast moving projectile look like a solid beam? My first solution was to just give sprites a very high emission rate, but the effect really only works for slow moving projectiles. If the projectile moves too fast there's still big gaps and it doesn't look like a solid beam.

Iirc arrows have some particles along there whole flying trajectory. That could be a possibility for your beam

• Stan` pinned this topic