Hyrule Conquest

2 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I don't think I'm skilled enough to create a new component that does what I want it to do. Just looking at the wallset component file for an example has me scratching my head. :o

Yeah, I think the way how shipyards are placed (only at the shore) better fits your need.

It probably won't be that hard to add a new buildRestriction type called e.g. "templateDefinedPoints"

Well all the Goron buildings are done and everything:

1PjSzge.jpg

Their defensive buildings such as the fortress, walls, and towers will be able to customize themselves with various upgrades such as reinforced stone (more HP), Lava Moats (melee attackers take consistent damage), and giant bunkers (can garrison with twice as many defenders)

Spoiler

7PaqnVa.jpg

rko88F5.jpg

Unfortunately I can't get the BFME style base building to work for this faction. My scripting knowledge is just not good enough. I'd very much love to give this faction a very distinct build style different from the other races with large interconnected mountain bases:

Spoiler

bQNOtGu.jpgCGd0hrT.jpg

Unfortunately I just can't script well enough, so for now I guess their bases are all built normally. :(

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

What do you want exactly?

I'm hoping to have it so certain buildings spawn "nodes" or "plots" in pre-set arrangements around themselves that workers can then build new buildings on.  Imarok suggested having a building construction class limited to the node or plot. The problem is I don't know how to have a building spawn other entities in pre-set arrangements around itself, and have those disappear if the building is destroyed. I'm also not sure how to limit a build class to another entity in pathfinder.xml, only land or sea.

• Like 1

Maybe some visuals might help what I'm trying to go for. The Goron "Civil Center" basically spawns pre-set entities around itself:Kki0Hn5.jpg

You order a worker to build and the buildings can only be built on the entities that spawn around the Civil Center. They snap to the center and rotate accordingly, ignoring collision with each other so it looks like one large expanding building:

QbukaeT.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WhiteTreePaladin said:

This idea would be kind of neat for your gerudo civ too. I always thought that main gerudo fortress structure looked like it had been built up. Allowing structures to be built different ways (choosing the specific structures to add to the main) adds additional variety.

Perhaps on a smaller scale for the Gerudo. Maybe the Palace can add three buildings on its sides and four towers to the corners?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Perhaps on a smaller scale for the Gerudo. Maybe the Palace can add three buildings on its sides and four towers to the corners?

I was thinking more about the structure of the fortress hideout from Zelda 64. You have a large building that is similar to that where the roofs of lower levels serve as the porches of the upper levels. Would be neat to build up a fortress like that during a match.

12 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

It sounds like the wall set placement? (a  bit)

The wall set placements only appears when you drag the wall across buildable ground. I need something where you simply place and it spawns multiple entities around it that are also destroyed with the host building if it's taken down. Workers then need to be able to build buildings that can only be built on top of the entities that spawn around the building, snapping to the center and facing the proper direction. 

A bit of trivia: The farmstead in 0 A.D. was originally intended to work in a similar way. You would have placed the farmstead and it would generate plots around it where you would be able to place farms or orchards etc. That was never implemented though, so sadly can't be used for ideas :P

• Like 3

13 hours ago, LordWahu said:

What might be useful is if someone could add a laid out description of the wall code and how that works. It appears a lack of familiarity with the code is what is preventing implementation.

Can someone either post one here or send a link to one that has been already done?

All code and game files etc are available at trac. I have no idea how wall placement exactly works, but if you want to figure it out, it might not be a bad idea to start looking at this file:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers/Walls.js

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/helpers/Commands.js

Edited by Nescio
corrected per leper's next post; same folder, different file
  • Like 1

The only thing in the wall code (which isn't in the file linked above, but in Commands.js) is the ability to specify the obstruction group to be the same for all those entities. But that only needs a single obstruction group in this case as opposed to 2 as wall turrets need.

As for how to implement I'd look at fcxSanya's post. One would have to specify a bunch of slots that either place entities that can upgrade (which would mean that no workers are needed), or foundations (in which case the linking component would need to take care of entities changing, but that is also needed for other things)). And some logic to destroy the linked (slot) entities if the main one is destroyed.

Not exactly hard to do. I guess that ignores a few corner cases like displaying the slots for previews (which I guess could be worked around by having decals there, which could cause issues if a certain slot is obstructed (which needs to be handled in the placing of entities above)), and allows the individual entities to be attacked which might or might not be wanted.

Then again some of us are still waiting for some assistance with other requests (eg https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22900-amphibious-animal-swimming-animation-request/).

Maybe you can do it in hacky way, making most buildings have a small territory area, so you have to build close. But maybe it's better to wait and do it in a proper way, instead of wasting time.

BTW, the initial selection could be implemented for the main engine? (even could be use it for Carthage mercenary system)

Edited by av93

• Stan` pinned this topic