Hyrule Conquest

If you really want to do something like that, some modders used the Upgrade feature (with an entA -> entB, entB -> entA upgrade schema). (Though it has an hack flavour.)

Not sure what is hacky about that, since that is actually what that is meant to do. (Well for values of upgrade that mean "can change into".) Especially when as in this case you just upgrade to a template that inherits from yourself, which upgrades to you (and makes sure to actually use the same name (or remove the other one) as your upgrade).

Given that the requirements boil down to a change from an entity to another (else we would need lots of complexity in lots of places to handle different sets of stats and other things), not switching templates (and thus entities) would be more complicated. Also given that this will most likely be user initiated instead of something automatic and most likely not used for all entities we might do some rough calculation of how many entity ids we'd actually burn through.

From some random replay I had lying around (some 50 minutes or something) that took about 12000 turns, which I guess is as good a length to check for as anything else.
We'll assume 8 players, each having 300 units, doing that upgrade/switch every turn. Since this is likely going to be big, let's just get the base 2 logarithm of that (log2(12000*300*8)

14 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

If you really want to do something like that, some modders used the Upgrade feature (with an entA -> entB, entB -> entA upgrade schema).

This method works really well. The units even seem to continue their last move or attack order, although their formation gets disbanded but that's a small price to pay.

Another question, sort of similar to one of the last ones I asked.

Is it currently possible to make it so that a worker places a building and then the building continues to build on its own without any interaction from the worker? A natural example is the Protoss summoning their buildings in Starcraft.

2 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Another question, sort of similar to one of the last ones I asked.

Is it currently possible to make it so that a worker places a building and then the building continues to build on its own without any interaction from the worker? A natural example is the Protoss summoning their buildings in Starcraft.

Seems doable but that would need few lines of script.

2 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Is it currently possible to make it so that a worker places a building and then the building continues to build on its own without any interaction from the worker?

I think this should be possible with relative small changes in Foundation and Builder components, for example adding an 'autobuild' flag to relevant building templates (probably with a 'builder rate' specified), adding an automatic 'builder' in Foundation for such buildings and restricting the regular builders to join construction.

We need something like this in the space mod too (the idea is to place a beacon/landing pad-looking foundation and then a spaceship will arrive after some time), but I didn't manage to experiment with this feature yet.

Another a bit inconvenient but already available alternative should be building foundations (logically) as finished buildings (technically) and then using the upgrade feature to convert to the finished building state. But this will require player to manually upgrade each foundation. This probably may be not so bad if there would be some generic foundations of different sizes and then player would be able to select a number of finished buildings for each of them (like sunken/spore colonies in starcraft).

• Like 2

Tested the demo multiplayer on two machines running Linux Antegros, it runs fairly well, with lag only appearing during large battles (compared to when I tried the demo on a mac and it lagged from the start). The Linux performance is truly quite nice for such an early demo. 

I am not sure if this is an issue only I am getting, but the Postman cartography research from the Hylian market does not appear to work. In two separate games I researched it but could not see allied units. The Gerudo equivalent research also currently does not show allies. 

1 hour ago, Baskom Welford said:

Tested the demo multiplayer on two machines running Linux Antegros, it runs fairly well, with lag only appearing during large battles (compared to when I tried the demo on a mac and it lagged from the start). The Linux performance is truly quite nice for such an early demo. 

Just wait until something like LOD's are implemented into the engine, there'll be no more performance issues or frame rate drops after that. 

1 hour ago, Baskom Welford said:

I am not sure if this is an issue only I am getting, but the Postman cartography research from the Hylian market does not appear to work. In two separate games I researched it but could not see allied units. The Gerudo equivalent research also currently does not show allies. 

It's not just you, it seems to happening for everyone. Really not sure what's going on here as both technologies are exact copies of Cartography just with different names and tech requirements.

12 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

It's not just you, it seems to happening for everyone. Really not sure what's going on here as both technologies are exact copies of Cartography just with different names and tech requirements.

Did you also have a look at the simulation/templates/special/player.xml file(s)?

On 02/10/2017 at 9:29 AM, fcxSanya said:

@The Undying Nephalim when the gui session initializes and checks for available 'civ choices', it should also check whether one of these technologies is already researched. I will try to fix it in my mod in near few days (maybe even later today if I will have enough time and will manage to do it fast enough).

(apparently I didn't have enough time that day and a few days after it)
Fixed in https://github.com/AlexanderOlkhovskiy/0ad-civ-choices-mod/commit/4840eaa96e2dc5b1f6d54300dedcc708b8240f1a
@The Undying Nephalim make sure to copy the fix to Hyrule Conquest

On 02/10/2017 at 9:40 PM, Zolrolt said:

Okay so self multiplayer I have both instances of my game being able to train the heroes. So it's only online with other people that I have a problem then.

Can you still reproduce it with other people or you didn't play after your earlier matches?

It looks like the Goron units are ready:

goron_roster1.jpg

And of course, details:

Spoiler

Miner 

FKIhJ0D.jpg
The lifeblood of Goron industry and their economy, Miners could dig up countless minerals, gems, and rupees for Goron consumption and construction. They also were well trained in building mines and other structures in almost any terrain, allowing them to set up bases and Goron cities in resource rich areas.

Guardian

DbwLXNL.jpg
Guardians were recruited from the civilian population during times of war to defend the Goron homeland of Death Mountain. Armed with nothing but their fists, Goron Guardians were nonetheless rather durable and strong for their size and could take on armored enemies. Lacking weapons and armor, the Guardians were able to curl themselves up and roll at fast speeds to reach critical areas much more swiftly than their brothers.

Rock Tosser

cgBB4ST.jpg
Composed of the less battle-ready members of Goron society, Rock Tossers used their strength to hurl rocks at fast speeds at their enemies from a distance. A well placed shot from a Rock Tosser could leave quite a dent in a knight's helm.

Beastmaster

ULtkDpK.jpg
The Death Mountain range was home to a vast array of brutal predators, and the Gorons frequently had to deal with packs of Dodongos and other brutal monsters. Beastmasters were dedicated hunters of all manner of creatures, and were exceptionally adept at fighting any creature unit they came across.

Salamander

WSlX5QR.jpg
A smaller and more docile breed of Dodongo, the Gorons were able to tame these reptilian beasts over a long period of time. Much like guard dogs, Gorons use Salamanders to guard homes or other low priority locations from enemies. Salamanders could breath a small burst of fire at close range against their enemies.

Battle Brother 

dHYf8pf.jpg
Skilled in commanding Goron soldiers, Battle Brothers would head Goron armies as captains to guide them into battle. Leading by example, they could improve the attack speed of all melee infantry in formation with the Battle Brother.

Ruby Guard

GIJtiTm.jpg
Wielding a hammer and durable shield in hand, Ruby Guards defended Goron settlements from enemy invasions. Despite their small size and slow speed by Goron standards, they were extremely durable and could take many blows from enemy weapons before falling in battle.

Drummer

GfdkOgf.jpg
Gorons were famous drummers and dancers, and some of their most talented players would direct soldiers to battle with their beats. These drummers could keep Gorons in marching order and morale high as they entered into a warzone. Any Goron within the aura of the Drummer would benefit from increased movement speed.

Sumo

I6Evppo.jpg
Champions of the Gorons' favourite sport of wrestling, Sumos are giant hulking beasts that can bring their skill to the frontlines of battle. Unexpectedly swift for their huge size, they can catch enemies off guard with all manners of parries and grapples. Since they lacked any heavy armor or weapons, Sumos were able to curl up and roll at very fast speeds.

Rams

T80UmBE.jpg
Rams are bulky, heavily-armed Gorons designed for the purpose of breaking fortifications with raw, brute force. These massive, hulking behemoths were practically living siege weapons. Goron Rams could headbutt and punch a man-sized target clear across a room and smash just about anything into a bloody pulp. Their reckless power and inability to slow themselves down made them exceptionally good at charging into enemies.

Salamander Wagon

JarcGyh.jpg
Larger Salamanders were used by Gorons are beasts of burden, useful for hauling carts and supplies around the craggy terrain of their homeland. These wagons could also be used as platforms for Goron ranged units in battle. Four Rock Tossers, Bomb Throwers, or ranged mercenary units could garrison inside the Wagon and benefit from the fast speed of the unit to ferry them into battle.

Salamander Warbeast

R2cSAPu.jpg
These large and angry Salamanders were summoned into thick firefights with enemies of the Gorons. They were capable of breathing a large fireball and firing it from a fair distance at their targets. A group of these creatures could burn down enemy buildings and defensive emplacements.

Bomb Thrower

WlRSG5u.jpg
The infamous Bomb Flowers native to Death Mountain have long been cultivated and harvested by the Gorons for use as explosive weaponry in battle. Bomb Throwers could bring terrifying firepower to a warzone, decimating groups of enemy units in an incinerating blast of fire.

Goron Giant

2gG2d6K.jpg
Some of the largest Gorons on record, these Giants were slow to move and even slower to bring to battle. In a fight they preferred to hurl giant boulders from impressive distances, bowling down groups of enemy soldiers or toppling over enemy buildings.

Fire Warrior

uaTGUwU.jpg
Wielding a mighty Megaton Hammer and decked from head to toe in red-tinted armor, Fire Warriors are the ultimate Goron soldiers. One swing from their hammer could send groups of soldiers flying, and none but the most powerful weaponry in Hyrule could crack their armor.

Patriarch

EfrEczP.jpg
The towering Patriarchs were elder Gorons who had long trained and led armies into battle. There were no finer commanders amongst the brotherhood’s ranks, and a single Patriarch could turn the tide of battle by rallying his soldiers and keeping them in line.

Powder Keg Launcher

yXg2vG2.jpg
The explosive Powder Kegs pack enough power to blow open the side of a cliff. When directed at and fired into an enemy army, the blast results in all sorts of fiery carnage. A battery of Powder Keg Launchers could reduce any city to smoking rubble with a consistent barrage.

Berserker

Sta3DNE.jpg
A Unique Unit only available for Darunia. Berserkers are individuals that have devoted their lives to indulging and mastering control of anger, which the Gorons have long considered a danger due to their tendency to lose control during fits of rage. On the battlefield this was less of a problem, and Berserkers could unleash quite a flurry of punches when worked up into a frenzy.

Tribal Monk  

kyuly6m.jpg
A Unique Unit only available for Daruk. Tribal Monks are an isolationist sect of Gorons that have retreated to secluded monasteries hidden in the Death Mountain range. When the Gorons at large are threatened by war, they unearth themselves in droves to defend their mountain homelands. Armed with a metal spade, Tribal Monks have a very long reach for their size. Years of meditation have given them the ability to regenerate health.

Shieldbreaker

b5NdM83.jpg
A Unique Unit only available for Dangoro. Wearing a suit of armor and two powerful gauntlets, Shieldbreakers could build up and unleash a fightning level of force in a single punch. Their attack rate was quite slow, but a single punch could shatter just about any armor and send units flying. 

Brothers-at-Arms 

JfjBk9h.jpg
A Unique Unit only available for Medigoron. Carrying the famous blades of the smithy Biggoron, Brothers-at-Arms were loyal defenders of Death Mountain and fearless in the face of battle. Their long blade had a very huge attack arc, allowing them to cut through multiple foes with one swing.

Hopefully I'll have all their buildings done soon and then I can more onto the Zora.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim
  • Like 6

Here's a question I should have asked before I started on these guys, Is there a way to give  a projectile an explosion or particle effect after it hits the ground or a target? The Gorons have quite a few weapons that go boom, it's kind of awkward having bombs just sitting there while everyone around the bomb drops dead. :huh:

10 hours ago, LordGood said:

You work at a frightening pace

A lot of the modeling and texture work was already done for the Total War version of the game, so it's just a matter of porting everything over. 

• Stan` pinned this topic