Hyrule Conquest

10 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

After trying to play some multiplayer games it seems like the hero select only works for one player, the first to choose a hero. Might be worth investigating.

Strange, what's happening for the other players?

I tried a network game locally (which has the same simulation / gui behavior as lobby games) and was able to select different technologies for both players:

civ_choices_multiplayer.PNG

It crashes the gui session init in replays (and probably for observers too), but that's a different issue and a simple one to fix (I think it just requires a check whether the 'current player' is selected at the start of the match).

Should I spend 6 months making a final version of Hyrule: Total War or keep pushing on with Conquest, you decide: http://www.strawpoll.me/14019559

15 hours ago, fcxSanya said:

I tried a network game locally (which has the same simulation / gui behavior as lobby games) and was able to select different technologies for both players:

Strange it does seem to work for some people, but not others. I'll post when I can confirm it, but maybe the problem happens when it's two different Civs?

Hi, your mod installs the whole uncompressed tree.

Do you know that you should create a zip file containing all your files? This should have better loading performance rather than what providing all extracted files. See what 0ad does, it provides an uncompressed public.zip with all the files.

Also do you know you should manage your texture files as png during development and then use the pyrogenesis executable to convert them to .dds? This is also what 0ad is doing.

You may want to have a look here for more info on how to prepare a release: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ReleaseProcessDraft#PackageEastAsianmods

Than you may want to directly distribute the (uncompressed) hyrule-conquest.zip file, eventually you can compress it with 7z to have a compression ratio similar to the .exe you actually provide, so that every user (also on Linux and OS X) can install it without problem.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2017 at 1:02 PM, fcxSanya said:

It crashes the gui session init in replays (and probably for observers too), but that's a different issue and a simple one to fix (I think it just requires a check whether the 'current player' is selected at the start of the match).

Fixed in 4cee038

19 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I'll post when I can confirm it, but maybe the problem happens when it's two different Civs?

I added the second civ into my mod, but still wasn't able to reproduce the issue:

civ_choices_multiplayer_different_civs.PNG

I didn't try the Hyrule Conquest yet, will try to check it out later today or tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

It seems to be player based I think. I tested with three different people and they all could build heroes while I couldn't. We tried same faction and heroes, diff factions, them waiting 20 seconds before choosing all with the same result. I tried again with a fresh 0 AD install + mod as well and still the same results so I'm not too sure what to look for.

35 minutes ago, Zolrolt said:

It seems to be player based I think. I tested with three different people and they all could build heroes while I couldn't. We tried same faction and heroes, diff factions, them waiting 20 seconds before choosing all with the same result. I tried again with a fresh 0 AD install + mod as well and still the same results so I'm not too sure what to look for.

If it's consistent and reproducible it should be easy to debug :)

You don't get the dialog at all or you select a hero, but he still remains 'non-researched' (locked and grayed out)?

• Like 1

Also noting that now I can't launch the mod from just vanilla 0 AD, I have to go to mods put the mod I want set and have that set to the default launch in order to be able to launch into the mod. When I do and close out that version of the game then I have a secondary Pyrogenesis.exe runing with music but no observable nor select able window and I have to use Task manager to end that process. Noting that this persisted when I uninstalled and reinstalled 0 AD and I deleted the 0 AD folder in Documents/My games .

@The Undying Nephalim I just got finished running the mod on Linux (antegros) and it performs quite well. Here are a couple observations/bugs to the current features that may need addressing: 

• When loading a single player save file, the choose hero gui pops up again, allowing me to select as many heroes as I want providing that I save and reload the game a couple times. This only lets me play as one hero at a time, but I get all the heroes special units and technologies. 
  • Capturing Enemy Buildings allows you to train enemy units. For instance, I took a Gerudo town center while playing as Hyrule. By doing so I was able to train out Gerudo villagers who could build all Gerudo structures. As a note, I was not able to build Gerudo hero units from their fortress because those still require a unit like Ganondorf. While I personally like the concept of being able to capture buildings to  train enemy units (similar to Total Annihilation Kingdoms) there may need to be adjustments to just what units can be built so a team can't muster several titans by capturing enemy buildings. 
  • Civilian Military Unit Train times seem a bit long. 1:20 for a group of 5 is quite a while to wait in order to build out basic units to defend from an opening game AI rush. Perhaps lessening the time would make surviving a tad easier. (what if the scale was changed to 45 seconds a batch for civilian infantry and 1 min for cavalry? Calvalry train time at over two minutes for a group discourages their use since a mob of low level spearmen can defeat the horses).
  • Hylian Urban Farms require a lot of space for only 2 units to be able to farm (as many are needed in order to get food income coming since the farm improvement isn't available till age 3). Perhaps making one of the following changes would allow the hylians to gain food a bit more easily: Decrease size of farm building/plot, make 3 farmers instead of 2, or move the farm efficiency research from age 3 to age 2.

On a side note, I am quite impressed with the trebuchet animations, those were my favorite siege engines to use in Age of Empires 2 and Hyrule's do not disappoint. Keep up the astonishing work!

Edited by Baskom Welford
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 12:09 PM, Baskom Welford said:

When loading a single player save file, the choose hero gui pops up again, allowing me to select as many heroes as I want providing that I save and reload the game a couple times. This only lets me play as one hero at a time, but I get all the heroes special units and technologies. 

I'm not sure how to fix the hero select script, I'm not entirely sure I understand the script itself.

Capturing Enemy Buildings allows you to train enemy units. For instance, I took a Gerudo town center while playing as Hyrule. By doing so I was able to train out Gerudo villagers who could build all Gerudo structures. As a note, I was not able to build Gerudo hero units from their fortress because those still require a unit like Ganondorf. While I personally like the concept of being able to capture buildings to  train enemy units (similar to Total Annihilation Kingdoms) there may need to be adjustments to just what units can be built so a team can't muster several titans by capturing enemy buildings. 

Yes this is a must to fix. It would be pretty immersion breaking if a Gohma hive is captured and can suddenly spit out Larva for the Hylians. I'm not sure how to disable training from captured buildings. I was under the impression the civ definition in each unit's template file limited them to specific civs but it seems that's not the case. I suppose I could just make it so no buildings are capturable in the meantime.

Civilian Military Unit Train times seem a bit long. 1:20 for a group of 5 is quite a while to wait in order to build out basic units to defend from an opening game AI rush. Perhaps lessening the time would make surviving a tad easier. (what if the scale was changed to 45 seconds a batch for civilian infantry and 1 min for cavalry? Calvalry train time at over two minutes for a group discourages their use since a mob of low level spearmen can defeat the horses).

I'll make it shorter.

Hylian Urban Farms require a lot of space for only 2 units to be able to farm (as many are needed in order to get food income coming since the farm improvement isn't available till age 3). Perhaps making one of the following changes would allow the hylians to gain food a bit more easily: Decrease size of farm building/plot, make 3 farmers instead of 2, or move the farm efficiency research from age 3 to age 2.

I suppose I could bump it up to 3 workers. The gimmick of the Urban Farms was more so not having any travel time to dump off resources.

Yes this is a must to fix. It would be pretty immersion breaking if a Gohma hive is captured and can suddenly spit out Larva for the Hylians. I'm not sure how to disable training from captured buildings. I was under the impression the civ definition in each unit's template file limited them to specific civs but it seems that's not the case. I suppose I could just make it so no buildings are capturable in the meantime.

There are many things possible:

- to have the ability to train other units, just repalce the {civ} attribute in ProductionQueue list of said buildings

- to capture and change to the matching civ model, in the capturable component, when changing ownership, you transform the current entity to the matching one in the other civ (and destroy it if no one match), that would require template naming policy.

- to disable production queue of capture building,  in the capturable component, when changing ownership, you transform the current entity to the same one with a special filter which disable production queue.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the previous answer was clear enough if you are not used to the way it works :)

So to take an example, in your gerudo barracks, you have in the ProductionQueue units/gerudo_sandsniper_b

That means that all civ capturing that barracks will be able to train a gerudo_sandsniper_b

To prevent that, replace it by units/{civ}_sandsniper_b (as we usually do in vanilla 0ad) so that when a civ captures that barracks, it will only be able to build its own sandsnipper if it exists ({civ} will be replaced by the name of the civ owning the barracks)

• Like 2

Unfortunately it's *not* possible to directly specify a unit, tech, civ, or aura requirement in a template's production queue. Such a feature would be nice to have, though.

Spoiler

E.g. for the barracks something like:

<ProductionQueue>
    <BatchTimeModifier>0.8</BatchTimeModifier>
    <Entities datatype="tokens">
      units/{civ}_infantry_spearman_b
      units/{civ}_infantry_pikeman_b
      units/{civ}_infantry_swordsman_b
      units/{civ}_infantry_javelinist_b
      units/{civ}_infantry_slinger_b
      units/{civ}_infantry_archer_b
      <civ:!pers>
        units/{civ}_cavalry_swordsman_b
        units/{civ}_cavalry_spearman_b
        units/{civ}_cavalry_javelinist_b
        units/{civ}_cavalry_archer_b
      </civ:!pers>
      <tech:"unlock champions">
        units/{civ}_champion_infantry
      </tech:"unlock champions">
    </Entities>
    <Technologies datatype="tokens">
      heal_barracks
      training_conscription
    </Technologies>
  </ProductionQueue>

is currently impossible.

Edited by Nescio
ce

On 28/09/2017 at 8:29 PM, Zolrolt said:

Select any hero still greyed out after waiting, aging up doesn't help either. Able to build the hero in single player / online vs a bot.

Can you do the same experiment as I did?
1. run two game instances (on Windows you have to copy the entire game folder to run another instance, otherwise it crashes)
2. host with one instance (Multiplayer -> Host Game)
3. join in another instance (Multiplayer -> Join Game, Server Hostname or IP: localhost)
4. start the match and check how hero selection works in both game instances

On 29/09/2017 at 10:09 PM, Baskom Welford said:

When loading a single player save file, the choose hero gui pops up again, allowing me to select as many heroes as I want providing that I save and reload the game a couple times. This only lets me play as one hero at a time, but I get all the heroes special units and technologies.

23 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I'm not sure how to fix the hero select script, I'm not entirely sure I understand the script itself.

@Baskom Welford thanks for reporting it!
@The Undying Nephalim when the gui session initializes and checks for available 'civ choices', it should also check whether one of these technologies is already researched. I will try to fix it in my mod in near few days (maybe even later today if I will have enough time and will manage to do it fast enough).

I've got a few questions to ask before I begin working on the next civ for the game:

1) Units switching modes. Would the best way to go about this be how siege weapons are done, with unpacked and packed states? I want a unit that under normal conditions walks around slowly and can attack, but can be triggered to roll up and move very fast, with no line of sight and no ability to attack. Is there any other way to pull this off, or the siege engine toggling the best and only way?
2) Is there a way to make it so units can be trained like mercenaries in Warcraft 3? For those unfamiliar, each unit's icon in a barracks has a countdown timer. When it reaches zero the unit trains instantly when you click on it and pay the cost, as opposed to paying up front and waiting for the unit to be trained.

3) I might be doing this wrong, but can a building or unit have more then one upgrade option at a time?

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

2 minutes ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

I've got a few questions to ask before I begin working on the next civ for the game:

1) Units switching modes. Would the best way to go about this be how siege weapons are done, with unpacked and packed states? I want a unit that under normal conditions walks around slowly and can attack, but can be triggered to roll up and move very fast, with no line of sight and no ability to attack. Is there any other way to pull this off, or the siege engine toggling the best and only way?

We have planned a secondary attack @bb_ was working in this many alphas ago.

7 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Using the Pack component doesn't seem a good idea. Indeed, as I tried to explain in another place to another person, the Pack component does more than it seems to do (such an unit has a specific unit AI behavior).
If you really want to do something like that, some modders used the Upgrade feature (with an entA -> entB, entB -> entA upgrade schema). (Though it has an hack flavour.)

3) I might be doing this wrong, but can a building or unit have more then one upgrade option at a time?

It should (it was sold with the feature).

Each one should have a name.

• Thanks 1

• Stan` pinned this topic