Hyrule Conquest

1) Yes you can spawn more than one prop. You just have to put prop1 and prop2 in every variant you want them to be.

2) no you should be able to make props go from any prop point. We use projectile so it stays consistent all over the place.

Hmmm, another small problem I'm running into. It seems 0AD is getting confused about my skeletons. I have a skeleton for capes and flails, and when I put both skeletons in at the same time the more recent one breaks the other and all animations tied to it fail to run. They both have unique skeleton id's, do they also have to have a unique name for their root joint? Is there perhaps another way to specify exactly what skeleton an actor uses instead of letting the engine handle it automatically?

2 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

2) no you should be able to make props go from any prop point. We use projectile so it stays consistent all over the place.

How do you change what bone a projectile fires from?

The projectile prop can be nested into another prop, i.e. On the bow instead of the archer. Also when your model is changing animations you need to list the props going into each animation in the actor editor template, I'd take a look at how existing models do it

11 hours ago, LordGood said:

The projectile prop can be nested into another prop, i.e. On the bow instead of the archer. Also when your model is changing animations you need to list the props going into each animation in the actor editor template, I'd take a look at how existing models do it

This method doesn't seem to be working. I still get the "can't fire projectile" error when my archers attack enemies. It seems like it has to be on the main actor and not attached props. :huh:

Is there not a simple way to make it so I can have projectiles fire from a bone called "bone_Rhand" and not "projectile"?

• Like 1

Well, I've gotten most of the units for the first civ (The Kingdom of Hyrule) and their animations in the game:

KN7A6J1.jpg

Here's a bit more details on their units:

Spoiler

Citizen of Hyrule
ZJd6cfa.jpg
The Kingdom of Hyrule was one of the most stable and wealthiest nations to have risen. It's civilian populace enjoyed a much higher standard of living then their neighboring empires, though during times of war it was mandatory that they become sub-servant workers to the Royal Family. Citizens would build, gather resources, and maintain the economic and military infrastructure of the Kingdom while armies marshaled and marched into battle.

Hylian Scout
5KMxIUY.jpg
Preferring to live in the wilderness, Hylian Scouts were explorers and guides by profession. They were often hired to lead travelers through rough wilderness or lead expeditions to uncivilized lands. Hylian Scouts could explore and chart out land very quickly, as well as spy on neighboring lands.

Town Lookout
tPvCBY5.jpg
Woodland hunters, rangers, and guides, during war-time they are called to served as perimeter guards and lookouts of Hyrule's outer most cities. Armed with a bow and arrow, these fast citizens can attack enemies from afar and make good use of their hunting skills to provide food to armies.

Town Guard
jOOebIB.jpg
Town Guards were ordinary men from across all the Kingdom that served as volunteer soldiers. They were assigned to low-level duty in their village of origin. During particularly massive wars they were shipped to the front lines with the rest of the Hylian army. Armed with a trusty spear and light armor, they were good for maintaining light defense against cavalry and charges, but were poor in an extended melee with enemy infantry.

Town Levy
aspVl0e.jpg
Conscripted during times of war from their home villages and towns, these Levies were given cheap maces and shields to protect and bolster the armies of Hyrule. Though they lack experience and notable armor, they can cause quite a dent in enemy armor with their blunt weapons.

Squire
RMYaAMR.jpg
These eager young men joined the Hylian army with the intent and hopes to become a Knight of Hyrule. With minimal training, weaponry, and armor, they were often assigned low-priority rolls such as squire duty, shipping supply lines, and defending military establishments while more experienced soldiers were out in the field.

Kingdom Infantry
9VYp65M.jpg
Scores of these infantry served as the primary warrior deployed by the Kingdom of Hyrule. Funded by the Royal family, these soldiers had basic combat training and were provided with standardized armor and weaponry.

Kingdom Cavalry
WObRaNG.jpg
These mounted incarnations of the Kingdom Infantry added much needed speed and range. Armed with a spear, Kingdom Cavalry were light but swift and could punch holes into soft enemy formations.

Kingdom Crossbowmen
FK5syxK.jpg
Although traditional archery was a popular sport in the Kingdom's history, its military preferred to mass-produce and deploy easy-to-use and deadly crossbows for its ranged arsenal. Much like the Kingdom Infantry, these soldiers were funded by the governmental forces of Hyrule and were provided basic training and gear.

Castle Guards
Pxn4vWQ.jpg
A private order of soldiers tasked with protecting Hyrule Castle and other important military bases, Castle Guards were purely defensive infantry armed with tower shields and spears. They were very resistant to cavalry and arrow fire; only if an enemy managed to break their lines would they fall easy.

Goddess Deacon
gMfNnBG.jpg
A member of Hyrule's clergy, the Goddess Deacons traditionally ventured into the border realms of Hyrule to spread the doctrine of the Goddesses. During war time they march alongside Hyrule's soldiers to chant various psalms and incantations from among the holy texts, improving the performance of their allies in battle.

Knight of Hyrule
DUVsSyU.jpg
Wealthy nobles, rich elites, and skilled warriors from across the land, the Knights of Hyrule in peace-time were autonomous warriors who were self trained and self funded by their life long work and education. When war broke out in Hyrule, they would abandon their armorial achievements and bear the icon of the holy Triforce as they answered the call of the Royal Family.

Flail Knight
GRU6SrF.jpg
These fearsome knights chose to forego traditional weaponry in favor of the Flail. A weapon dangerous to their own men, but when properly used can reach past the shields of enemies and keep foes at a distance.

Chevalier
c6XQbEm.jpg
These mounted Knights brought with them a lifetime of experience fighting on horseback, and in many regards are the first and truest Knights to have surfaced in Hyrule. They are quite fearsome against most enemies that do not wield pole-arms.

Iron-clad Elite
XzI2oHa.jpg
Knights that have gained the personal favor of the Royal Family, Iron-clad Elites are some of the most experienced and well versed warriors in the entire Kingdom. They are often given Captain or General roles in armies, bolstering the performance of the lower ranks. Armed with a Halberd, an Iron-clad is effective both against cavlary and infantry.

Light Arrow Archer
QcjytyG.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Princess Zelda. An order of Archers that still holds the secret of creating mystical Light Arrows. These powerful projectiles can blind their victims with a flash of light, as well as destroy Shadow enemies with ease.

Champion Knight
oWcQskP.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Link. Trained by the last heir of Gustaf, these knights display the lost techniques of the Ancient Hylians and command great bravery and courage in battle. They dramatically improve the performance of all Infantry under their command.

Golden-clad Elite
aumPYrs.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to King Kazakk Nohansen. These mounted warriors are perhaps the best tacticians and leaders in the entire Hylian army. Usually they are deployed as lone Generals to command armies, but a line of these soldiers armed with lances can tear through enemy infantry with ease.

Triforce Vanguard
sLNDb9p.jpg
A Unique Unit only available to Rauru, the Sage of Light. An order of warrior priests founded by Rauru himself to guard the Triforce from falling into the hands of the Kingdom's enemies. Armed with a powerful mace, these warriors may be slow but they can smash through most armor and are quite durable themselves.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, stanislas69 said:

You should do some video teasers :P

You could even use the camera features that were implemented recently. See the related section here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Atlas_Manual_Cinematics_Tab

I might do something of the sort after I get their buildings and techs in. :thumbup:

On the subject of videos, does 0AD support any kind of video format for cinematics? My game has a lot of cinematics that I'd port over from from the Total War version. It would be great if mp4 or wmv formats were supported.

Edited by The Undying Nephalim

The more functionality related code you have, the worse to open sources prior to release, because it will spin out of control if your manpower|time is low. Without version control (Git) powers I see no chance to survive such a project (if you were to implement the features you mention).

As you have mostly data files (XML, JSON) and release often the opposite is true. Other devs will help you, likely directly fixing things in your repo using pull requests. (because your project is quite reputed)

On 7/25/2017 at 3:05 AM, leper said:
27) Are there any targetable abilities (I've not noticed any on my playthroughs yet)? For example a unit has a Fireball ability. You click the ability, select a target, and your unit launches a fireball at the target.

One of the early patches that added healing worked like that. So it depends on what abilities you'd want, and if actually having buttons for those is the best way (which it might be if there are a few).

Reminds me _strongly_ of what mind bending code is still being worked on by worlddevelopment club.

The capability system is exactly targetting this. It's a fluent redesign of how actions, commands and related are handled in 0AD (yes, UnitAI monster is basically recreated, the new code is dynamic, such that all the actions like teleporting, roundabout attack, mutli-target, magic spells, become a blaze).

It's number 2 of 4 very big rocks on our way to release 0 B.C.E.

On 7/25/2017 at 7:46 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

I like the idea of different resources, you can see with Precolumbian faction their gold is the Cacao seed. 

Mayas gathering cacao instead of iron. Or collecting gold.

What about hiding resources after they are 0 (or do not change) for a prolonged period of time? This simple GUI mod not restricts other functionality which can be good, because why not have other players|factions tribute something you do not directly gather? One can still trade it or tribute to others.

I second @stanislas69 with the projectiles. Once upon a time when I reworked animations it did check props for the projectile. It's a bit hacky (to use leper's words, and it's not a mod, thus not only mods are "hacky")

In 0B.C.E. pyrogenesis props no longer exist. Every object is equal. As are structures and units. Simplicity rules. Why artifical separation?

It is positive that leper says you should not follow 0A.D. naming conventions. Though a lot has improved in 0A.D. over the recent years to be honest thanks to a lot of great devs.

• Like 1

But I will be honest, I share your fear that your backers might have issues with your decision. I listened to your vid on Patreon and read the comments. If I were better then we could straight out convince them that pyrogenesis or derivatives (like the new 0B.C.E. engine) can even be more epic than Total War due to the freedom that is possible in free, open engines. (OK, again, our engine will be free. But the world has made me a lone wolf, I am over suspect, critical ... people critizing my dreams always hits me hard as has been shown since my active times in 0A.D.. @LordGood was right with his being iron theory. Unfortunately when it comes to my dreams I am soft like plumpudding. Ah, how great, this reminds me of Hogwarts. haha).

Extrapolating 0A.D. development should give your backers enough reason to second your move. At least I hope, because I like some of the nice creatures you create. Just like Lord's ponies, unicorns. Caught me forever. Unfortunately never had time to play it :unsure: ... sad priority list. I wish you to not have to regret your decision to switch over. It is a very honorable move IMO. It definitively helps me reshuffle my list. Getting HannibalAI back to SVN has just risen.

The AI controlling workers is what HybridAI does. Maybe I can adapt the concept to HannibalAI but I'm not so sure. I had no such big updates planned for the 0AD.AI worlddevelopment club declared to maintain.

The grand strategy map may at some point be taken from 0B.C.E. Currently I can not say anything about the possible entity counts. It will feature LOD, bullet though. And weather.:) As long as worlddevelopment not dies out before I can finish it all. haha. (it's not so unlikely currently, but it'd hit me hard because worlddevelopment club is the glue for the overall concept, it's my only credibility that I am really serious about the open, free nature of my activities)

Edited by Radagast.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Implementing a battalion system might just be the right trick to get the backers to agree.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/0-ad-delenda-est/news/battalions-and-formations

Is there any tutorial on how to get battalions to work?

4 hours ago, Radagast. said:

I wish you to not have to regret your decision to switch over.

I'm having a blast with this engine, it's so much easier to work with then Medieval 2. In just two weeks I've been able to implement many ideas not possible in M2. Even the frustrations I had getting my animations in are minor compared to the headaches that Medieval 2 causes trying to mod it

I'm going crazy with buildings:

MNuaHXT.jpgz7vfQLy.jpg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, The Undying Nephalim said:

Is there any tutorial on how to get battalions to work?

I don't think they have actually been implemented in Delenda Est. I think that link is just the design document. There shouldn't be anything technical preventing them from being added, but it might be a significant effort.

Medieval Total War's battalions were too large for me. I prefer the battalions in the BFME 1 and 2 series although they weren't really large enough to call a battalion because they only contained around 5-20 units depending on the strength of the units.

I've been asking for some sort of grouped units to be added to 0 A.D for awhile. I think most people here are really attached to AoK, so they prefer the individual unit control. That said, we do have territories which work very well and were not present in AoK, so maybe there is still hope for battalions to be used in some portion of the game. Even if 0 A.D. doesn't use them, I think having a battalion system would be great for modders.

I played AoK and AoE3 recently and they both feature a column formation when moving units from one location to another. We used to have that too, but it was removed in one of the many pathfinder fixes. It was a very, very nice feature. I hope that one gets added back someday for sure.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2017 at 6:32 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

'm having a blast with this engine, it's so much easier to work with then Medieval 2. In just two weeks I've been able to implement many ideas not possible in M2. Even the frustrations I had getting my animations in are minor compared to the headaches that Medieval 2 causes trying to mod it

True. It is very smart. And I try to maintain this when merging it with the other open source engines out there. At first though, there will be no more JavaScript. Sorry. But I guess many won't mind.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:32 AM, The Undying Nephalim said:

I'm going crazy with buildings:

Epic!

I have some good news for HannibalAI too. Actually I managed to compile old versions of 0AD which makes upgrading Hannibal a much nicer experience.

3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Imm courius? For example what  or which you can implement?

Some of things I can have in 0AD that I could not in M2:

- Healing units in battle
- Spawning units when a unit dies (very handy for the Gohma)
- Having different resources that only certain factions can use
- Proper naval battles (I had to really bend and break Medieval 2 to get those to work)
- No hardcoded faction or unit limit. Medieval 2 has a hardcoded faction limit of 31. Its unit limit is 500.

• Thanks 1