===[COMMITTED]=== Carthaginian Unit Textures

wackyserious

49 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Have to avoid very dark areas, it also needs a back part

yes, because color filter but I was fixed that when saw the mesh doesn't fit so.... and was early morning in my country. I need to rest. i other thing I can do is work over your work trying copy color by color like when I  work in metallic symbols.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

An overview of the current texture for the Carthaginian unit roster.

• Iron cuirass for the Sacred band is represented through iron scale cuirass partnered with a reworked version of the old texture to retain the Carthaginian-white appeal of its unit roster.
  • Bronze scale was reserved for the elite rank Libyan-Phoenician spearman (I am having reservations on using chainmail, I want to suggest that Hannibal's veteran spearmen be represented as a separate unit) @Stan`
  • @Sundiata Did the looting of Roman chainmail only occurred during Hannibal's period, or was this a thing even in the previous Punic Wars?
  • Advanced rank armor was also reworked, I added modified visual assets from the Ptolemaic faction since it is a close neighboring region. Weathered linothorax was also used and for their tunics, long sleeved and sleeveless variants were added. I did not used player color since the shield is already effective.

110319 - Carthaginians.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, wackyserious said:
  • @Sundiata Did the looting of Roman chainmail only occurred during Hannibal's period, or was this a thing even in the previous Punic Wars?

A good question for which I don't really have a ready answer right now. Hannibal did indeed probably equip his troops with captured Roman chainmail, but I don't know about the possible use of it before the battle Cannae. Osprey's "The Carthaginians 6th–2nd Century BC" says this on the matter:

This Ksour es-Saf find is a dramatic reminder that the equipment of an army might also include elements originating in other regions; armour was valuable, and a multi-ethnic army campaigning abroad had many opportunities to acquire it. For example, at the battle of Cannae, Hannibal armed the Libyan and African troops in Roman fashion with equipment taken from fallen enemies, probably including ringmail and Italic armours (Pol., III, 87, 3 & 114, 1; Livy, XXVIII, 46, 4): ‘The Africans were armed in the Roman fashion, Hannibal having equipped them with the choicest of the arms captured in the previous battles.’ Such captured weaponry replaced in part that given to the Carthaginians by Braneus, appointed by Hannibal as leader of the Allobroges (Livy, XXI, 31, 6) before the passage of the Alps. These weapons, which replaced Carthaginian equipment that had become worn with age, were definitely of Celtic type (Pol., III, 49, 11). Thus, while we know from the ancient sources that different peoples were characterized by specific weaponry, we should not interpret this information too rigidly, i.e. ‘Celtic weaponry = Celtic warrior’. The sources in fact confirm that weapons of foreign origin might be used not only by individuals but also by whole contingents.

Perhaps there may have been earlier uses of chainmail/ringmail through a Celtic connection. Celtic mercs would have almost definitely used it. But I'm really not certain. Carthaginian arms and equipment are still quite a hotly debated subject.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...