Annoying things (imho) when moving around the map

Hi,

in my opinion, I think that there are two things that are quite annoying when the player move around a map (especially if he's a beginner):

1. You can contemporary move by hitting a screen edge with the cursor or by using arrow keys: one of the first times I played, I was near the right border of the map and, using the arrows, I could move only along the border; it takes me some time to realize that the mouse cursor was on the right edge of the screen (so it also was not visible). I think that this can easily be prevented by disabling the movement with the cursor when using the arrow keys, and by highlighting the edge where the mouse cursor is (so that the player sees it and can move it before releasing the arrow key);

2. It's quite difficult to select one of the button on the top of the screen without hitting the border (and this happens especially when you are already busy and you don't want the map to move unexpectedly). This is probably more difficult to solve, but I think that wait a little (maybe making the delay configurable by the user) before moving if the cursor hit the top edge may be a good compromise.

3 hours ago, echotangoecho said:

IMO we could remove movement by hitting a screen edge entirely as it seems unlikely that it is often used (and it is redundant if there are already multiple different ways to move: dragging in minimap, wasd, arrow keys).

I think we shouldn't, because currently every user could play in game only with mouse. So mouse movement removing breaks it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, echotangoecho said:

You could still play in game only with the mouse, by clicking and dragging inside the minimap (which is much more effective than bringing the mouse to the edges of the screen), but outright removing it might indeed not be a good idea.

I agree with @stanislas69, this method has lower precision, you couldn't move for 5-10 meters. So the minimap is effective only with a large distance between interesting points.

Edited by vladislavbelov