Fake accounts

borg-

Well, it's the first time I see this in the game. One guy was using my nickname, he came in, said some things in Spanish and left, then came back as chrstgtr and then we played a 3v3 match with two chrstgtr. Mapkoc explained to me that this can be done via ip, so I get it, but he asked me to post this in the forum anyway.

print:    https://postimg.org/image/ggnpt0e4j/

• Like 2

Due to the space in the nickname the one from the screenshot most probably joined via IP.

There was a borg(3000) account in the lobby recently registered by someone who won 4 rated games against the same account in 4 minutes, got banned, then registered two more accounts and played 4 more rated games in 2 minutes, then got banned again, then created a new account and asked me to unban him because he played against his friend. But that person likely doesn't speak spanish and the nr one in the leaderboard has many admirers.

Since there is no data attached, we can only speculate, there were some speaking spanish in that game from the screenshot.

Reminds me that I wanted to write that missile defense shield module.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Hannibal_Barca said:

I guess this is illegal and the culprit(s) should be given a warning that continuation of such behaviour might lead to unnecessary actions with unpleasant results.

I love the phrasing /offtopic

• Like 1

borg(?000) claimed to be DaDracula yesterday. I believe he speaks french or spanish. Borg says the one playing as chrtgtr was quite strong. (maybe top 20?)

Anyhow someone is retrieving host ips to do this.

Joining by ip as free as it is right now presents some challenges. You can make funny games as above but it's potentially dangerous when trolls steal identities.

You can spot these trolls when seen from lobby, they are in a game but not in lobby. But is it possible to fake any account in another game when real person is afk in lobby or playing? A slight change in rating can fool most.

A coutry flag next to name could help identifying these trolls.

I had a couple of reports of people claiming Ratings bot didn't gave points after they won rated 1v1 and joining by ip could be the reason.

Some people have referred to games I supposedly played but it wasn't me, I was no where near 0ad at that time.

Edited by mapkoc
forgot something
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

I love the phrasing /offtopic

I feel flattered. :wub:

(16:59:48) chrstgtr: you were chrstgtr

(16:59:55) ragnarlothbrok: yeah but first i was borg

(16:59:41) ragnarlothbrok: that was me joining as borg lol

(17:00:36) chrstgtr: borg and mapkoc got super worked up about it last night

(17:00:43) chrstgtr: they somehow couldnt figure it out

Culprits caught red-handed.

Avoiding 1v1 rated games to end with point loss is super easy. Just don't be in the lobby when defeated. This can be achieved easily and is a traceless way, unlike some people quitting or using elaborate methods to reach the same goal.

• Like 3

Are there any non-hard (hard is a telephone number verifying) ways to avoid or minimize fake accounts, which we could support? Captcha stops/minimizes automatic registrations by bots, but don't prevent manual registration. E-mail linking - the same as captcha, but costs more time for a registration, so it could filter some lazy spammers. Also we could introduce some in-process verification things, i.e. send verifying email in 2 weeks, to see, that account is accessible. Mostly tmp-mailers do not store emails so long.

P.S. Is there any suggestion about a registration security?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vladislavbelov said:

E-mail linking - the same as captcha, but costs more time for a registration, so it could filter some lazy spammers. Also we could introduce some in-process verification things, i.e. send verifying email in 2 weeks, to see, that account is accessible. Mostly tmp-mailers do not store emails so long.

P.S. Is there any suggestion about a registration security?

An E-Mail would also help with lost password

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last few days there has been a proliferation of smurf accounts by some unknown good player(s). Its just anoying when they break team balance.

Going back to the topic, I caught someone (I guess the same guy) using my name (joined by IP)

000.thumb.png.b8b849851c944d7360711631489e4d61.png001.thumb.png.527d1e7e4397c998045861132454fff1.png

Franksy also told me he played 1v1 with someone claiming to be me.

Also, I think someone faked elexis3 account with rating in a maxtihost (but I can't prove that).

I think the worst problem with this behaviour is that these idiots are making the victim look bad.

• Like 1

The host should backup mainlog.html file before starting the game again (as its overwritten with each gamestart). It contains the IP address of joining clients, see 'Net server: Received connection' lines.

Can be fixed by implementing #3549, which will be a good amount of unrewarding work. Implementing that will also make it impossible to have player replacements (which are currently used quite often) (without implementing them properly).

One can also add two lines to the code to show the IP address of joining clients, but we had decided to not show IPs of players because other trolls used that too for unfriendly purposes. Annoying.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...