Testudo and Phalanx Formations

ArcaneExodus

Out of all the formations you only really need infantry down; I want to suggest that only melee infantry units can use formations.

The shield wall should remain completely gaining the same armor class as buildings once formed (1 damage from piercing weapons), and should not automatically move to engage nearby units; Only attack enemies right beside it... Units should be able to capture a building while in formation.

Formations should be limited to 50 melee units and form a hotkey automatically. That will limit the number for formations to 10 (maybe even down to 3-5) and only enable melee infantry to use Testudo and Phalanx with Roman and Hellenistic Factions. One thing that is important is that units need to be able to break formation at will; This is currently a problem... I believe by eliminating battle line, flank, wedge, ect; It would make the game a lot better... but since those factions will have an advantage you can implement;

Other faction unique abilities; Such as Mauryan Maiden Guard melee -> archer formation; Garrison elephant archers
Throwing axe formation for Celtic champion infantry. Maybe some stuff like that, or whatever the developers want for balance.

So maybe wedge formation can stick around, form a battle line; But the units don't need to get stuck in a block or it could be bad. I hope to see some good old shield walls for the game theme!