World Map?

Hi, I am curious to know has anyone built a world map mod somewhere?  Something akin to the Red Sea map but more global or covering a larger area.

I realize it doesn't have to be to scale but someone was looking for a gaming engine to do something like a global world map for a strategy game and thought he could use pyrogenesis pretty easily if that was the case, just wanted to see if that mod existed yet though.

- Jon

What the editor supports is just sensible choices, if you really want to go somewhere were you might run into limitations (be that performance, memory, or just the code not designed to handle more than a certain size (though I would consider crashes that don't tell you that you are doing something unsupported bugs)) you can.

Open the editor, save the blank map, delete the .pmp file, open the .xml file in an editor, add something like

<Terrain patches="25" texture="blue" priority="0" height="16384"/>

under the Scenario tag, save. Load it again. You might want to play with the patches parameter, but at least using 50 works (in the sense of you possibly eventually seeing a result, though editing terrain is very slow, and that map is huge enough that at the zoom level where you can see the whole map you'll likely not see much of any unit).

(Might also be that we should only do certain recalculations in atlas after some modification finished instead of all the time.)

Also since it seems relevant you might want to take a look at some of the old campaign demo scenario maps, though those are just mockups.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leper said:

height="16384"

I sincerely think you guys should change this to something like 2048.

Why? Because the water levels at that height reflect the skybox poorly. Also, you don't need that much depth, usually. You want the height more, again, usually.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1 июля 2017 г. at 9:39 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I sincerely think you guys should change this to something like 2048.

Why? Because the water levels at that height reflect the skybox poorly. Also, you don't need that much depth, usually. You want the height more, again, usually.

This height is mostly for the terrain, not for water. It could be used for high mountains.

9 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

This height is mostly for the terrain, not for water. It could be used for high mountains.

Lowering the default height as I suggest would allow for much larger mountains, if desired. But would also solve the problem I see in other people's screenshots where the sky box is ridiculously blurred out in water reflections.

The obvious solution is to fix the skybox already, but my solution has the benefit of being very simple.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 20/10/2023 at 10:50 PM, man_s_our said:

in 2019 I once downloaded and edited a 0ad map that has north east africa (including east libya) and eastern Europe and persia. but unfortunately I lost the computer back then.

Wasn't it part of Community Maps at some point. There is at least the Asian campaign with a big map, as of now: https://github.com/0ad-matters/community-maps-2

On 23/10/2023 at 9:11 AM, SolarEagle said:

Wasn't it part of Community Maps at some point. There is at least the Asian campaign with a big map, as of now: https://github.com/0ad-matters/community-maps-2

I found that map now on 0AD fandom.

here is the download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7uss4ew7uhp8ik7/AADDCrms-a7YReJ56s3NxRsTa?dl=0

17 minutes ago, SolarEagle said:

Do these maps work with 0AD 26? Some old maps tend to break, or load but with missing features, like no trees.

idk about a26

but it doesn't load in a27

however, it loads in atlas well. maybe you need to remove all entities or just load the height map in a new map and start from scratch.