Scouting: Auto Option vs Pure Manual

sphyrth

Scouting: Option for Auto vs Pure Manual  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scouting have an Auto-scout Feature, or Should it Stay Purely Manual?

• Have the Auto-scout Feature
    • Keep it Manual
    • Other

A quick search shows that this feature was considered several times. I happen to want to keep the Scouting Feature manual. Taking care of your scout and constantly looking at your map maybe a mentally-disorienting thing, but it's one of my favorite RTS skill to develop. I feel that auto-scouting sacrifices the reward of having that skill for a more streamlined gameplay.

I'm curious as to how the majority of the forumers feel about this, though. Hence, the poll.

Edited by sphyrth

You don't usually have to pay much attention to the scout.  Just select it and then shift-click repeatedly on the map so it follows a path to explore around your base.  The reason auto-scouting would be nice is that on maps with a lot of impassable terrain such as mountains, your waypoints will make the scout backtrack a lot.  Auto-scouting would make mountain maps as easy to explore as open maps.

• Like 3

I like auto-scouting, but problem is that a scout unit shouldn't behave itself like it knows a map. Because it'll allow a cheat for an obvious reason. So we need to calculate really accurate, to prevent self-breaking. I have some ideas about it, but it's only ideas with some drafts, need to find some good sources.

Also it'd be good to have options for auto-scouting, i.e. follow only beach/shore line to find water borders.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

I like auto-scouting, but problem is that a scout unit shouldn't behave itself like it knows a map. Because it'll allow a cheat for an obvious reason. So we need to calculate really accurate, to prevent self-breaking. I have some ideas about it, but it's only ideas with some drafts, need to find some good sources.

Also it'd be good to have options for auto-scouting, i.e. follow only beach/shore line to find water borders.

The scout must emulate player scouting. First found territory outside resources and next enemy territory.

• Like 1

On 30/6/2017 at 11:01 PM, sphyrth said:

If that's going to be a feature, I want it only for the AI. I don't like the AI to automatically have vision of everything all the time.

I think that the AI must have an auto-scout feature.

Not sure if human player too.

Auto scout is badly needed for single player mode. Auto scout are mostly present in RTS games. Right now if you play giant map (esp with huge water area on naval maps) it's much easier to scout and clear fog of war if you have more units on auto scout. 

In multiplayer especially newbies to rookies some players are just stubborn not to resign even if there's not much interesting he/they can do but hide and annoy. 

With the games gameplay and mechanics scouting becomes irrelevant. In most maps being played the resources within the sorroundings of initial base is enough to maximize your pop cap.