===[TASK]=== Crowd Sourced - Thracians (Faction)

Cleo

Hi @Duileoga this looks like a great lineup, and I think it will make for a well-differentiated civ. Here I will add some thoughts on the lineup in terms of civ balance compared relative to current civs.

On 09/05/2023 at 3:21 PM, Duileoga said:

light Infantry ;(4)
("Barracks"&"C.C")
1.Thracian Spearman ;-------------------------------------------------------------(Taruthin )
2.Thracian Peltast ;----------------------------------------------------------------(Skálmēsinas )
(Barracks")
3.Thracian archer;------------------------------------------------------------------(Romfeai )
4.Thracian slinger;------------------------------------------------------------------( ...  )

This looks like a strong CS lineup, and it might be necessary to remove one of the ranged units (probably the archer).

6 hours ago, Genava55 said:

5. Odrysian Comander

I don't understand the idea behind this concept. It should represent a generic Odrysian leader? What would be the role of this unit? Why on foot?

I could imagine this being a centurion type unit, with a training limit. That being said it doesn't quite fit super well, as @Genava55 mentioned.

5.Odrysian Comander;-----------------------------------------------------------(  )
(palace ")
6.Odrysian  Nobleman ;----------------------------------------------------------(Poris )
("mansion")
7.Odrysian Hoplita ;--------------------------------------------------------------( ... )
8.Odrysian Guard ;----------------------------------------------------------------( Zibythides)

I am not sure if I can see a champion skirmisher in that image, but if one of these was a champion skirmisher, that would be awesome. I think this would be a great civ to reintroduce this unit. Perhaps the hoplite should be replaced with heavy skirmisher following @Genava55's point that there were only mercenary hoplites.

auxiliary Infantry ;(3)
(" Thracian fortificated village ")
9.Auxiliary Thyni (traco-euroasiatic ) ;-------------------------------( ... )
10.Auxiliary Tribalii (traco-celtic);------------------------------------( ... )
11.Auxiliary Dardanian (traco-illyrian);------------------------------( ... )

Does the fortified village have the template of the military colony? I think this would make sense. It would be awesome for these mercenaries to provide units not available as citizen-soldiers (swordsmen, axemen, and clubmen would be a super cool trio, but a mercenary archer would also fit here).

Champion Cavalry;(2)
("stable "&" palace")
15. Odrysian  cavalry Nobleman ;-------------------------------(Zibunthides mezēnai)
("stable ")
16.Odrysian  war-wagon (2 horses and archers) ;---------------(...)

I think a swordcav champion would be great for this civ, wielding a rhomphaia would look very cool. The archer chariot is fine from a gameplay perspective, as they would need a unit with range and mobility.

Siege ;(1)
("Arsenal")
20.Greek ram;---------------------------------------------------------( ... thurd ide )

Ships;(3)
(Reclutados en ;" Puerto")
21.Bitinian fishing boat (traco-asiatic) ;---------------------------------( ... )Men and Woman
22.Greek merchant;---------------------------------------------------(... parai )
23.Greek Birreme ;----------------------------------------------------------(...)

Limited ram and ship selection makes sense for the civ.

Heroes ;(3)
(Mausoleum ")
24." Teres I ";-------------------------------------(Τήρης )
25." Sitalces";-------------------------------------(Σιτάλκης)
26."  Kotys I ";-------------------------------------(Κότυς)

It seems a bit gruesome to train heroes from a mausoleum, no? :D

Jokes aside, it might be good to sort out the unique buildings situation: Currently, the palace trains some champions, the mansion trains other champions, and the mausoleum trains (undead) heroes.

How about the following as a solution:

• The palace trains heroes and any unique champions, like the commander unit (if it is included).
    • This is similar to the gaul theatre building, where heroes and trumpeters are trained.
  • The remaining champions are trained from the barracks/stable.
  • The mansion is a special house available in p3
  • The mausoleum serves some symbolic role, perhaps providing a global aura, and/or some trickle.

Overall, this is looking great! Really nice work!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Buenos días o tardes:

-Siguiendo los consejos de @Genava55 y @real_tabasco_sauce :

On 11/05/2023 at 6:45 AM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Hi @Duileoga this looks like a great lineup, and I think it will make for a well-differentiated civ. Here I will add some thoughts on the lineup in terms of civ balance compared relative to current civs.

This looks like a strong CS lineup, and it might be necessary to remove one of the ranged units (probably the archer).

I could imagine this being a centurion type unit, with a training limit. That being said it doesn't quite fit super well, as @Genava55 mentioned.

I am not sure if I can see a champion skirmisher in that image, but if one of these was a champion skirmisher, that would be awesome. I think this would be a great civ to reintroduce this unit. Perhaps the hoplite should be replaced with heavy skirmisher following @Genava55's point that there were only mercenary hoplites.

Does the fortified village have the template of the military colony? I think this would make sense. It would be awesome for these mercenaries to provide units not available as citizen-soldiers (swordsmen, axemen, and clubmen would be a super cool trio, but a mercenary archer would also fit here).

I think a swordcav champion would be great for this civ, wielding a rhomphaia would look very cool. The archer chariot is fine from a gameplay perspective, as they would need a unit with range and mobility.

Limited ram and ship selection makes sense for the civ.

It seems a bit gruesome to train heroes from a mausoleum, no? :D

Jokes aside, it might be good to sort out the unique buildings situation: Currently, the palace trains some champions, the mansion trains other champions, and the mausoleum trains (undead) heroes.

How about the following as a solution:

• The palace trains heroes and any unique champions, like the commander unit (if it is included).
    • This is similar to the gaul theatre building, where heroes and trumpeters are trained.
  • The remaining champions are trained from the barracks/stable.
  • The mansion is a special house available in p3
  • The mausoleum serves some symbolic role, perhaps providing a global aura, and/or some trickle.

Overall, this is looking great! Really nice work!

On 10/05/2023 at 11:18 PM, Genava55 said:

Thanks a lot for the hard work!

(y)

Good.

I don't understand the idea behind this concept. It should represent a generic Odrysian leader? What would be the role of this unit? Why on foot?

A cavalryman should be enough I guess. There is already an Odrysian guard as champion infantry.

It should be a mercenary hoplite. Odrysians didn't train hoplites but they hired them as auxiliaries or mercenaries.

Fighting with a rhomphaia I guess? Yes, it could be a plausible name.

Is there any evidence for war chariot among Thracians, furthermore with archers? I don't think so.

I would say it is better to depict the Getae among the auxiliaries and as a horse archer unit.

Pensé en un nuevo catálogo ,27 unidades como los kushitas.

En inglés (más internacional)

Units;(27)

Light Infantry ;(4)
("Barracks"&"C.C")
1.Thracian Spearman ;-------------------------------------------------------------(Khōra Taruthin )
2.Thracian Peltast ;----------------------------------------------------------------(Khōra Skálmēsinas )
(Barracks")
3.Thracian archer;------------------------------------------------------------------(Khōra Romfeai )
4.Thracian slinger;------------------------------------------------------------------(Khōra makham Krēmnoi)

Champion Infantry ;(4)
("palace "&"Barracks")
5.Odrysian Nobleman (+common sword);---------------------------------------------( Udrusai Zibythides )
("mansion")
6.Odrysian  Thureophoros (champion Peltast ) ;-----------------------------------(Udrusai Poris )
7.Odrysian Auxiliary  (+ pike) ;-------------------------------------------------------( Udrusai Suratralis)
8.Odrysian Guard /black cloak(+romphaia) ;------------------------------------------(Udrusai Zeira Kersēs )

Auxiliary Infantry ;(3)
(" Thracian fortificated village ")
9.Auxiliary Thyni (traco-euroasiatic ) -clubmen;-------------------------------( Skaplis Zenis  )
10.Auxiliary Tribalii (traco-celtic)-swordsmen/curved sword;---------------( kalpak iatagan Zenis )
11.Auxiliary Dardanian (traco-illyrian)-axemen;------------------------------( Sagaris Zenis )

Light Cavalry;(3)
("stable "&"C.C")
12.Thracian Peltast cavalry---------------------------------------( Khōra Skálmēsinas mezēnai )
("stable ")
13.Geta spearman (traco-dacian) ;-----------------------------( Taruthin mezēnai )
14.Agatirsos archer (traco-scythian);--------------------------( Romfeai mezēnai )

Champion Cavalry;(2)
("stable "&" palace")
15. Odrysian champion (+long sword);-------------------------------(Udrusai Rhompháia mezēnai)
("stable ")
16.Odrysian  war-wagon (2 horses and "Peltast" ) ;-------------------(Udrusai ...)

Civilians;(3)
("C.C"&"Houses)
17. Thracian Woman;----------------------------------------------(Dentusykos ) 
("Market")
18. Thracian trader;-----------------------------------------------(Paraoris)Men and Woman
("Temple")
19. Thracian healer;----------------------------------------------(ktístai )

Siege ;(1)
("Arsenal")
20.Greek ram;---------------------------------------------------------( Thurd-ida )
21.Greek lithobolos/catapult;-----------------------------------------( Taru thurd-asas ) 

Ships;(3)
(" dock")
22.Bitinian fishing boat (traco-asiatic) ;------------------------( Usku Bébrykes )Men and Woman
23.Greek merchant;------------------------------------------------( Paraoris udrénas)
24.Greek Birreme ;-------------------------------------------------(... udrénas)

Heroes ;(3)
("Palace")
25." Teres I ";-------------------------------------(Τήρης ) 
26." Sitalces";-------------------------------------(Σιτάλκης) 
27."  Kotys I ";-------------------------------------(Κότυς) 

-I had to invent some thracian units ,named using the thracian grammar and vocabulary as a reference since I did not find some very specific words, for example: "Merchant Ship", I use "Aquatic Trader" or "Paraoris udrénas"

¿Qué opinan : @Lopess @Genava55 @real_tabasco_sauce @Lion.Kanzen @Ultimate Aurelian @wackyserious ?

fuentes/sources;
1. Neroznak, V. Paleo-Balkan Languages. 1978.
2.  Georgiev, V. Ezyk na trakite.
3. Ivan Duridanov , I. Ezikyt na trakite, Sofia, 1976.The Language of the Thracians, 

Disculpen las molestias*

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

@Duileoga where are you working on this civ? I'd like to check it out. Like do you have a github link?

Buenos días o tardes:

-Ahora mismo no estoy haciendo nada para ninguna facción( tengo poco tiempo por los estudios y el trabajo), pero colaboraré con @Lopess en lo que pueda .Lo último que hice en verano, fueron los iconos para unidades tracias:

718834888_catlogoiconosunidadestrac.thumb.png.bc4b36799c5178111d34b6b7ecd8618d.png

-¿Qué opinan?

Disculpen las molestias*

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Duileoga said:

-¿Qué opinan?

They are great! Did you draw them, or are they from screenshots?

I think they would just need to be resized into 128x128 or 256x256 pixels. And I think it would be pretty easy to make the mercenaries green toned.

If you share me the png files I can go ahead and do this. I would also crop them to have the same framing as the vanilla icons, if you don't mind.

Apparently the chariots are in fact historically accurate, look at this amazingly well preserved chariot:

https://www.rferl.org/a/bulgaria-tomb-raider-thracian-chariot/31324243.html

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Apparently the chariots are in fact historically accurate, look at this amazingly well preserved chariot:

We should add chariots to the Greeks too, see the following evidence:

image.jpeg.aa1e6d7ca201ac88e37a7bb26d98b7b3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b7051b9dd162dbeb89da285374febedd.jpeg

To the Romans too!

image.jpeg.169a90acc9b88b68d22ab9ebc0242138.jpeg

image.jpeg.a927d6bacce3e2ab441a287580e69921.jpeg

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

A four-wheeled chariot!!! :weee: Dating to the 2nd century AD furthermore, in Roman Thrace! That's perfect!!! :banana:

It must have been incredibly practical on the battlefield!

Just add two more wheels to the 3D model and we could add a second chariot unique. One with two-wheels and one with four-wheels!

Look how cool it would be...

... A big chariot with four-wheels:

image.jpeg.39005eb31e8f15be0a11b73403c8face.jpeg

image.jpeg.88818bfadee5413b638060ab6f3d8496.jpeg

image.png.513cf5387473b28bd14331076113d9e0.png

... a small chariot on two-wheels:

image.png.45d27b31334211f1072e98265b3aed0c.png

image.png.b9fd817a45cd4a2ea3f55449523f765e.png

:jester:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1