Suggetion : "big patches also" instead of "big file only"

SkyOne578

Hello there,

I am sorry if this has been asked already. I am new here and I did extensive researches but I didn't find topics similar to this. This is what I suggest: when a new version is available, would it be possible for us to download patches which add/replace/modify/delete only the concerned things instead of downloading the whole game again? That would save a lot of data for those who have only limited connections - like me.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

If you are willing to compile the game from source after downloading it from our github repository or an repository updates should be really light. You just have to make sure you stay with the current release version of the game else it won't work with other players. Only issue with this method is you'll have to download around 4GB minimum the first time and you'll need some experience with visual studio if you are on Windows

Actually, Windows is the easy one as there is the autobuild.  So, it's really not that difficult. It is of course more risky though as the game might crash more easily, and you will have to be sure that your opponent has got the exact same version if you want to play multiplayer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

Only issue with this method is you'll have to download around 4GB minimum the first time and you'll need some experience with visual studio if you are on Windows

Given that our releases are less than 600MB and there are no more than two releases a year, it may be more sensible to keep downloading releases for a few years instead of downloading git/svn repo and keeping it up-to-date :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fcxSanya said:

Given that our releases are less than 600MB and there are no more than two releases a year, it may be more sensible to keep downloading releases for a few years instead of downloading git/svn repo and keeping it up-to-date :)

Yeah. And unless we can provide patches for versions easily. Its complex. I do think it's possible for windows though. Just get the files changed + binaries cache them  and their dependencies and make a simple installer.

Such a patch can be generated by creating the diff between the two released revisions. Notice you can only patch a git or svn clone, because the released version contains all javascript, XML and so forth in the public.zip flie (if you want to patch that, the patch would be about the same size as the release).

I'm not sure that people will be able to figure out how to patch their system. Also patches don't delete files if they're not applied with svn or git. If the patch is applied correctly, it will be in sync with people who downloaded the release though. Other than that, that what fcxSanya said.

• Like 1

For patching public.zip one could extract that, patch it, then compress it. (There are also binary diffing/patching tools, and our zip files are not compressed, so that shouldn't be too hard to do.)

Also you might want to check the documentation for your patch(1), especially the -E (or --remove-empty-files) option.

• Like 3

Wow guys, we get help very fast here! I am sorry for replying so lately. The main reason why I posted this topic is that we have very slow and limited connection in my region, so if we download about 600 Mb file in each release, whether the release has very big, important and many changes or small updates included, we may not even get the full file before connection is stopped. I don't mind doing things myself — apart from touching source codes, I am not a programmer — as long as it does not cost me a lot of data. So I am always happy to do whatever you suggest me.