Age of Empires definitive edition [remaster]

5 hours ago, av93 said:

I don't understand why they didn't put farm queues and gates..

Farm queues aren't in? Oh darn... I hope there'll at least be an idle villager button.

EDIT: Eh, there's filter to replace with "darn"? A bit too much I think, the replaced word is hardly a vulgar one :P

Edited by Andrettin

4 hours ago, Andrettin said:

Farm queues aren't in? Oh darn... I hope there'll at least be an idle villager button.

EDIT: Eh, there's filter to replace with "darn"? A bit too much I think, the replaced word is hardly a vulgar one :P

In the videos I have seen a Idle Village button, IRC the . was used also for that in the original version, and you can reseed with right click, but no queues.

• Thanks 1

free publicity . thanks Jarkendia.

It should be remembered, for example, that 'Age of Empires III' itself was in 3D, like that '0 A.D.' that we will never tire of recommending, both for being free as a worthy heir to the classic 'Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings'.
So, where is the trick to give the feeling of 3D?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

I didn't play the game, but by the videos that I have seen, at least they have improved the game, and they hadn't screwed like AoE 2 HD.

Pathfinder and stability could be better, for sure.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

nope, a buggy release, lol.

: I pre-ordered the game, and I am having issues launching the game!
We have received reports that some users may run into issues when launching the game if they are on a pre-release / Insider version of Windows. We’re actively investigating this issue, and will update when we have a solution!
Some users have had success uninstalling and then reinstalling the game, so we recommend trying that in the mean time!

Maybe this is the problem. My internet is slow so i can not download it again fast. Shame.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Well if you go official aoe site, you can see all the devs and community people are busy live streaming the game working lol... talk about asleep at the post. How about someone working tech support geez.

Devs answer.

Hello again Age fans!

We have officially started releasing Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (it’ll be out at midnight tonight in each time zone!)

We wanted to check in with all of you and let you know that we are STILL planning a few updates in the very near future, to make this Definitive Edition live up to the Age of Empires name in all possible ways! Keep an eye out for these changes coming soon:

• Even more graphics performance optimizations
    • Add an option for players to Spectate a multiplayer match, making the game even more tournament and stream friendly
    • Additional data tuning based on Beta feedback and telemetry.
    • Fixing a potential crash when starting specific match types.
    • … and more!

Also if you are having any issues please check out our support page here:  https://www.ageofempires.com/support

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

7 hours ago, Sundiata said:

So I guess AoE DE is nothing to worry about huh? I'm curious what they'll come up with for AoE IV... It seems like this DE was just to keep the memory alive and spark some interest in the upcoming 4th instalment... If it's anything like DE, they better just not...

Only their huge fanbase and they marketing department. AoE IV if is setting in modern era... is a competitor neither. because the fans wants swords eras.

We discussed with Itms about Merchandising when we were at Fosdem. That's something we might look at for events :)

Audio CDs

More Stickers (We could use @LordGood's latest drawings with a 0ad logo with his permission)

Flyers We gave quite a lot

And eventually T-shirts but that's more expensive than a bunch of CDs ;)

• Like 1

https://kotaku.com/age-of-empires-is-a-weird-game-to-play-in-2018-1823121260/

Age of Empires was a strategy game that mixed the frantic clicking of WarCraft with the technological advancement of Civilization, combining them into an RTS that was bigger, bolder and smarter than most of its late-90s competition.

:..

AoE:DE isn’t a full-on remaster, like say Shadow of the Colossus. The entire game hasn’t been rebuilt from the ground up, so if this is your first time time encountering the series, you’ll find many things about a bit old-fashioned.

Point(score) for 0 A.D.

The AI still skitters around the map like a coked-up spider, for example. Combat lacks any real sense of tactical control. And a modern game wouldn’t have just copied (mostly) the same unit roster across such culturally diverse factions.

The game’s page presents this as an upgrade, but there was a charm to the old pixel art that the modern units are lacking in.

Well, in theory. Visuals are a subjective thing, I know, but I’m just not feeling the graphics overhaul here. The game’s speed and isometric viewpoint were perfectly suited to pixels, and the original’s designs look great even today. Swapping those out for cleaner units and buildings makes the whole game feel more sterile, and I wish instead of going for the obvious “hi-res” option they’d instead opted for a more loving restoration of AoE’s pixel art.

With everything that’s come since AoE in the realms of both RTS and strategy, from its own sequels to Total War, I just didn’t find much here to grab my attention for more than a few hours’ blissful nostalgia. AoE’s formula may have been revolutionary in 1997, but in 2018 its fundamentals are not.

Big roast 

Spoiler

I've tried your troubleshooter, I've tried resetting the app and I've tried rebooting. Basically, I've depleted every option except complete reinstall, and I'm not a sucker who's gonna sit here and reinstall a 17gb piece of junk EVERY TIME I want to play it. Sorry but no, this is far beyond my tolerance and I'm speaking for MANY others;

This release has been a joke. There's absolutely no justification for releasing a game available for pre-order, that doesn't even run for 70% of the players upon launch, after months of prep.
I have to reinstall the game litteraly every time I want to play it. LITTERALY. Now, there are small, minimal profit indie-studios out there who can adress these issues within 24h. And loath and behold, here we have big, multi-billion corporate supergiant Microsoft who's not even able to adress the issue after 4 days. 4 days of wait for pre-ordering customers, and the news we get is "early next week". Well good job cutting corners, cheap jokesters. Like wtf?

It's really beyond me how a game can be this poorly optimized, you would expect more from a company like Microsoft with all the fundings in the world. Well, I guess this is how they make money. Getting away with crap like this.
This is a huge slap in the face for any anticipating, eager fan of AoE. A slap in the face to those who payed several months in advance, being really hyped for what turned out to be a disaster. In a small, simple game like this?

Heck, DICE can release HUGE and complex games like BF, even with the way EA limits their resources and pushes early, unfinnished products, with higher success rate than this. This is a joke. A sad comedy, and a desperate, thirsty attempt to broaden the target group for the crappy Microsoft store concept. You will never be Steam, you will never be Origin, face it and maybe you'll be able to release a properly finnished product.

I don't mind bugs and glitches, that's a part of releasing a game. But to not even be able to adress an issue wich keeps the customer from actually playing the game? Oh god, what have I gotten myself into.

• Haha 1

A successful strategy for a game like StarCraft or Command & Conquer is most important at the broadest possible level: how you gather resources, what units you build and in what order, how best to assemble them, when to commit to an assault. True to the genre’s name, these are indeed strategies.

But when it comes to simulating warfare, having a strategy is only half the battle. The other half—often the most defining—is in the employment of tactics (especially once your strategy goes pear-shaped), something which most RTS games absolutely fail to account for, or at least smudge over.

https://kotaku.com/company-of-heroes-was-the-perfect-rts-1791898789

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Maybe "The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth" provided some tactics in this sense with cavalry and monster charges, and formations (specially pikemen to counter the later). That kind of system would be cool (as we've talk a lot in forums) to implement in 0 A.D but without being to micro, cause in this kind of RTS or RTT, you only have one or two resources, and the economy it's very simple.