Age of Empires definitive edition [remaster]

For me it's not too bright... I think that the original was even more brighter, and then Aoe2 was tuned down.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20110601015305

Sad to see that they didn't updated the diagonal walls... (they show like a wall of end-walls., like in the old game).

Didn't watch the full video, the game have been improved? (the lag could be from the pc performance, or network issues)

Edited by av93
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 1:20 AM, av93 said:

For me it's not too bright... I think that the original was even more brighter, and then Aoe2 was tuned down

Hmm, you're right, it's not too bright per se... maybe I had that impression due to it potentially having more contrast instead, which would make the brightness be more apparent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, i has seeing some videos from Age of Empires Defenitive Edition in youtube and realized all infantry units (in particular sword\axe man) use only one attack animation in all 8 angles. In the original Age of empires, some melee units used a different attack animation depending of the direction (excluding the mirrored frames). Well this is not major problem, considering the game is still in Beta, and the Devs for sure has more things to polish, but i really hope they can improve the attacking animations, for the sake of more realism and variety. They don't need of creating different animations for each unit, they can reuse some of the new animations for multiple units, since then the infantry has more than the actual animation. I not demand anything, much less complaining, i am just sharing my hopes for this amazing game

• 4 weeks later...

a1955a9ffb6137ed02357d4ca6d39ec7.jpg

The game still very buggy and the multiplayer is a mess (massive lag, disconnects (where's the dedicated servers?) and bugs to start a game). Let's hope they fix the game before this date.

Without dedicated servers is impossible to play online. Players hosting rooms...

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

To celebrate this announce, we’re also opening up the multiplayer beta to more players worldwide starting January 29 so everyone can get a taste of the game for free before it launches on February 20. You can find more information on the beta and sign up for it at AgeOfEmpires.com.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/18/age-empires-definitive-edition-launches-february-20/

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

Already have access to the beta. It's pretty awesome and runs very smooth, especially compared to the steam version of AoE II and AoM. Some neat improvements in farming (they're like in AoE 2 now) and overall pretty clean visuals. Also, balance fixes to Assyrians, Chosons, Greeks and other factions.

Edited by DarcReaver

1 hour ago, DarcReaver said:

Already have access to the beta. It's pretty awesome and runs very smooth, especially compared to the steam version of AoE II and AoM. Some neat improvements in farming (they're like in AoE 2 now) and overall pretty clean visuals. Also, balance fixes to Assyrians, Chosons, Greeks and other factions.

What about pathfinding and stability?

7 hours ago, DarcReaver said:

The most impressive department is sound , giving more sense and "realistic" (Hollywood-esque) battles. but I'm not sure some animations. and effects.

1 hour ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

The most impressive department is sound , giving more sense and "realistic" (Hollywood-esque) battles. but I'm not sure some animations. and effects.

The effects look cartoonish, but it's not too bad. But I think those are placeholders. Overall it "feels" good - it's fun to play, looks nice, has very fluid gameplay and less 1 type of únit spam compared to normal aoe (Which is chariot archer spam 99% of the time). I'm sure I'll stick to it for quite a while, got me hooked. Which hasn't happened with RTS in a long time.

Also I like that most people play it on "fast" instead of "very fast", so it's a nice mixture of micro and macro. Plus it's less campy than AoE II, since you can't protect your villagers so easily. This makes the game more like Starcraft/Warcraft, which is pretty cool. Putting pressure on the enemy, re-establish the base, and loosing vills isn't so bad in AoE because you get more resources overall.

7 hours ago, av93 said:

What about pathfinding and stability?

Stability is pretty excellent, much MUCH better than Steam AoE II, actually I didnt expect that, esp. since it's only a beta. Even with yellow connections.

Edited by DarcReaver
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DarcReaver said:

The effects look cartoonish, but it's not too bad. But I think those are placeholders. Overall it "feels" good - it's fun to play, looks nice, has very fluid gameplay and less 1 type of únit spam compared to normal aoe (Which is chariot archer spam 99% of the time). I'm sure I'll stick to it for quite a while, got me hooked. Which hasn't happened with RTS in a long time.

Also I like that most people play it on "fast" instead of "very fast", so it's a nice mixture of micro and macro. Plus it's less campy than AoE II, since you can't protect your villagers so easily. This makes the game more like Starcraft/Warcraft, which is pretty cool. Putting pressure on the enemy, re-establish the base, and loosing vills isn't so bad in AoE because you get more resources overall.

Stability is pretty excellent, much MUCH better than Steam AoE II, actually I didnt expect that, esp. since it's only a beta. Even with yellow connections.

Yes is more for competitive and fast gameplay. ande the defenses are lees decisive. its less turtle without castles or garrison units.

The mêlée animation still same? as the spoiler. the counters still  almost same? they fixed the chariot archer rush? they aren't implemented dedicated servers?

Spoiler

:

8 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Yes is more for competitive and fast gameplay. ande the defenses are lees decisive. its less turtle without castles or garrison units.

The mêlée animation still same? as the spoiler. the counters still  almost same? they fixed the chariot archer rush? they aren't implemented dedicated servers?

Reveal hidden contents

:

Yes, combat system is the same, but they seem to have changed attackspeeds to match animations. Units have movement type tags ("fast", "slow") and same with their attackspeeds.
Chariot Archer rush is fixed, because they reworked civ bonuses. Assyrian archers no longer fire 40% fastert. Now they shoot 25% faster and villagers move 10% faster instead of like 40%. So the main faction that spammed Chariot Archers is no longer OP. Choson swordsmen line gets cumulative hitpoint bonuses (like +15/20/35 or smth) for short/broad/long swords instead of +80 HP for Legions only. Greek get cheaper hoplites and higher speed on them etc.

About animations: yes they're the same still. 

Why would you need dedicated servers for an RTS? 

Edited by DarcReaver
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DarcReaver said:

Let me ask again about pathfinding, specially when the melee units target new enemies... it is working well?

BTW, seems that the balance changes are better than the UPATCH. Forgotten Empires have a good balance ad design ideas, and know how to keep the AoE spirit, sadly they had work with a game that was bad ported and didn't had either a good programming team, or a good budget. I just hope that AoE1 DE would be a success that works, and then I will have faith again in the Definitive Editions, fixing the Aoe2 HD mess. (I think that they eventually will remake also AoM, if everything works)

Aoe4, it's just another thing, seeing Relic and their DoW3 mess (Didn't play, but I read that wasn't a bad game, but it didn't reach the expectations)

21 hours ago, av93 said:

Let me ask again about pathfinding, specially when the melee units target new enemies... it is working well?

BTW, seems that the balance changes are better than the UPATCH. Forgotten Empires have a good balance ad design ideas, and know how to keep the AoE spirit, sadly they had work with a game that was bad ported and didn't had either a good programming team, or a good budget. I just hope that AoE1 DE would be a success that works, and then I will have faith again in the Definitive Editions, fixing the Aoe2 HD mess. (I think that they eventually will remake also AoM, if everything works)

Aoe4, it's just another thing, seeing Relic and their DoW3 mess (Didn't play, but I read that wasn't a bad game, but it didn't reach the expectations)

Melee will still try to walk around other units if you right click on a certain enemy, but a-move is possible now aswell, so it's better. It's still much better than AoE II HD again. The balance changes seem to be influenced by Upatch, but they go a bit farther.

• Like 1