Age of Empires definitive edition [remaster]

AoE DE delay....2018.

When we set out to re-release the original Age of Empires (as ‘Age of Empires: Definitive Edition’), we had many debates over the extent of restoration that we should undertake. The challenge of re-releasing a classic is just that: it’s a classic and it deserves to be treated with careful reverence. At the same time, in a living, thriving genre, norms continually evolve, technology advances, and player expectations change. This is as true for RTS as for any other genre. So, the challenge is to recreate the experience not as it *actually* was but as we all remember it. How can we modernize the game while preserving the fun, discovery and magic of that first experience?

To that end, rather than a final release of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on October 19, we will instead be inviting thousands more players from the community into our closed beta between now and launch to allow for more in-depth testing across single player campaign, multiplayer balance, fine-tuning the lobby, etc.

We don’t have a final release date to share quite yet, but are targeting early 2018. In the meantime, we will be actively engaging with everyone participating in the closed beta to gather additional feedback, set up multiplayer sessions, and ensure that the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition that we are delivering is the Definitive Edition that you want.

Thank you,

The Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Team

• Like 1

I just think that they just arent making a good enough pathfinder.. Don.t expect any new feature that hasnt been announced or leaked.

Its sad cause they lost an opportunity to make a new version of the engine, starting from Aoe 2 HD and fixing the pathfinding and the networks problem, but having the features like triggers and so. Then the new aoe 2 could share the engine and easier to maintain... Maybe would have been more expensive, i dont know.

35 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The pathfinder is absolutely atrocious. That's probably what they're fixing. Plus maybe a few usability features. But that's it. Those are the main criticisms anyway.

That's good. From what people were saying, it wasn't ready. I'm glad they're going to spend some more time on it. If it doesn't do well, it's less likely that we'll see a definitive edition for AoK. I hope that doesn't get cancelled.

• Like 1

Happy 20th anniversary AoE.

Age of Empires 20th Anniversary - Age of Empires

Today marks 20 years since October 15th 1997, the day that Age of Empires was first released. It’s been a long, crazy, amazing journey since then. I mean, just look at everything we’ve accomplished! Okay, so a few of those are still in the works, but you get the idea. We couldn’t have done any of … Continued

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

I found the distinctions between the Granary and Storehouse kind of odd. Storehouse is for wood, stone, gold, and MEAT. While Granary is only for berries and wheat. I mean, I get that meat wouldn't be stored in a Granary, but neither would it be stored in the same place as wood and stone. Better to have combined all food into one conceptual building like what 0 A.D. does. Also, upgrading your towers at the Storehouse never made any bloody sense, not even in 1997. Gather rates are also so aggravatingly slooooooooooow.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

thaaats age of empires for you. I like the upgrade systems in the original, armor/attack upgrades in the storehouse, tower upgrades in the granary. Makes about as much sense as tower upgrades being researched in the tower.

slow gather rates really emphasize the importance of cost effective engagements. Age of empires felt tight because of how easy it was to keep track of everything, and how imperative it was to do so

• Like 2

Age of Empires: DE release moved back: “It’s a classic, and it deserves to be handled with careful reverence.”

Please check out the full blog post for more info here.

(Update 10/16/2017) Please note that the Windows Store page for Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is currently listing the planned release date as 12/31/2018. This is a placeholder, and does not reflect our target release date. We will update that page once the final release date has been announced. You can follow Age of Empires on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news.

12 hours ago, LordGood said:

thaaats age of empires for you. I like the upgrade systems in the original, armor/attack upgrades in the storehouse, tower upgrades in the granary. Makes about as much sense as tower upgrades being researched in the tower.

Armor/attack upgrades at the storehouse make no sense at all. Neither do tower upgrades at the granary. Tower upgrades at the tower make wayyy more sense conceptually.

12 hours ago, LordGood said:

slow gather rates really emphasize the importance of cost effective engagements. Age of empires felt tight because of how easy it was to keep track of everything, and how imperative it was to do so

It just doesn't feel very epic getting mauled by an enemy's massive army of 6 chariot archers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It just doesn't feel very epic getting mauled by an enemy's massive army of 6 chariot archers.

I think this is one of the points where 0AD has a potentially major advantage over AoE. The 200 pop-cap thing was one the most aggravating limits in the game, and 0AD can potentially handle thousands of units. A lot of room for epicness right there. But without a battalion and army system, it's going to be a hot mess. 

Armour upgrade researched at the blacksmith makes perfect sense. I also think tower upgrades at the tower make a lot more sense than at a granary. Alternatively they could be researched at the fortress or a "research institution" like a library.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Armor/attack upgrades at the storehouse make no sense at all. Neither do tower upgrades at the granary. Tower upgrades at the tower make wayyy more sense conceptually.

Unless the upgraded tower shoots flowers.

Edited by Grugnas

Does it make any sense that an ungarrisoned tower, fort, outposts, CC, turrets fire projectiles/arrows? Same as melee units garrisoned fire arrows don’t make sense either.

I would like the AI produce and fight in battalions especially on foot units when launching massive attacks but the human players should have no restrictions. It’s his/her choice to formation his units. If cavalries have trample damage as in BFME it be interesting if it can form a wedge and smash through a formationed infantry units. 

Upgrades on units and structures should not be done on tech structures like blacksmith. Research can be done on blacksmith or schools, universities or libraries but upgrades must be on units and/or structures. One example is Vox Populi turret upgrade done individually though the tech to walls strength is still on the turret. 

Edited by Servo

Their help tooltip had an excuse for tower upgrades being researched at the granary, something along the lines of 'with the onset of farming, villages needed ways of protecting their now stored food from their greedy or desperate hunter-gatherer neighbors, fortifications were erected to ward off these attackers and allowed sedentary lifestyle to thrive blah blah blah'

whatever hey, its good enough for me. also towers don't cost pop because they free up your armies to attack. I know you remember that land grab mission, dont pretend you didnt build towers, cheeky, its hell without them

• Like 2