Age of Empires definitive edition [remaster]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Should have modernized the terrain height map. Gates and simple auto-formations, ala AOK, would have been super nice enhancements. I'm also still disappointed about how small elephants are. Seemed weird in the original too.

Those are my only criticisms. The new UI is superb and I like the terrain blending and the pre-rendered trees.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Should have modernized the terrain height map. Gates and simple auto-formations, ala AOK, would have been super nice enhancements. I'm also still disappointed about how small elephants are. Seemed weird in the original too.

Those are my only criticisms. The new UI is superb and I like the terrain blending and the pre-rendered trees.

I like battle sound effects. Is similar to Rome Total War 2. The effects for siege units is very nice. The voices are some cartoony/overacted.

Take it with a grain of salt, but in reedit they have confirmed walkable farms and a auto reseeding button.

I still see that pathfinding can be improved. They have 2 months, let's hope that they make justice to the game and it's not another cash grab like aoe2 hd.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Maybe this is for 4K playback?

The 16 GB of RAM is surely overkill for regular playing even for max settings. I guess that the beta version probably is doing a lot of logging and debugging to recommend that much RAM. As for the graphics, 4K does take a bit, so that doesn't seem unreasonable. Processor and video memory seem about right. The 10 MB must just be a starter file that downloads the rest.

• Like 1

Well, I'm surprised to say the least about this huge announcement.

I guess I kind of forgot how key Age of Empires was to Microsoft's entry into the gaming industry. They've become so big and moved on to XBox that you forget their origins but they obviously did not and want to re-enter the PC gaming market which is still large and lucrative.

$20 is a reasonable price-point. All the stuff I see in here and on the various gaming media websites looks good.

I honestly never thought I would see the day they re-released AoE1 when they ignored it with the HD stuff. I can't believe they announced the same treatment for AoE2, AoE3 and the creation of AoE4. That's a big move and a big gamble. I hope it pays off since I'm a huge fan of the time period and RTSes.

Edited by Silver
  • Like 1