Newbie questions (suggestions for the manual)

IkkeTM

First of all, I have to say I really like 0 AD in its present state (.21), I've tried it a few times before, but found it a tad unsatisfactory.

But now, I have questions, questions to which I can't find the answer anywhere. Although admittedly, I only did a 10-minute scan of the topics in the forum.

• How exactly does garrisoning towers/forts work? Does the quality or type of the unit matter? Will woman do?
  • What is this Spartan upgrade about: "Spartan rank upgrades at the barracks cost no resources, only time." I thought rank upgrades went automatically? Do I need to send back my experienced units to the barracks to actually get the rank? Is there some hidden tech to produce ranked units this refers to? What is this about?
  • What are the unit relations; i.e. what beats what? Spearman beat cavalry owing to the 3x bonus, straightforward enough. But what beats archers/ skirmishers, the different types of cavalry, and where do swordmen fit in?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums!

Garrisoning Towers
Vanilla: The number of military units affect the number of arrows... not the quality. Women do not affect it.
DE: I think only ranged military units affect the towers. Also numbers and not quality.

Spartan Upgrade
Vanilla: Ranking up (as mentioned) is affected by fighting. Upgrading through the Mess Hall affects all Spartan Hoplites. No need to enter the Barracks to get those upgrades.
DE: Pretty much the same, but you can upgrade only 2 Spartan Hoplites and turn them into stronger champions.

Counter System
Vanilla: Only the Spearmen have this hard-counter system (x3 Cavalry).
DE: It's pretty much everywhere. The straightforwardness is all you need.

Thank you all for the answers, but my question remains then; without a counter(ish) system, which units should I build then?

Go full spearmen, skirmishers or archers, if it's all the same? Enough spearmen to tank, and mainly pump ranged units for more effective applied dps? How does one go about army composition?

On 6/3/2017 at 1:10 AM, IkkeTM said:

Go full spearmen, skirmishers or archers, if it's all the same? Enough spearmen to tank, and mainly pump ranged units for more effective applied dps?

That's pretty much the rule-of-thumb. Just have a decent mix and engage wisely.

On 3/6/2017 at 11:10 AM, IkkeTM said:

Thank you all for the answers, but my question remains then; without a counter(ish) system, which units should I build then?

Go full spearmen, skirmishers or archers, if it's all the same? Enough spearmen to tank, and mainly pump ranged units for more effective applied dps? How does one go about army composition?

Perhaps higher range units counter lower range units.

for infantry:

Archers > Slingers > Skirmishers > Swordsmen > Spearmen

On 6/10/2017 at 3:15 AM, Grugnas said:

Archers > Slingers > Skirmishers > Swordsmen > Spearmen

Mechanically, that's kind of what happens, but each of those unit types have varying stats that also affect the balance, so this progression of countering may not be accurate or evenly distributed. Lots of things affect countering, resource cost, pop cost, and training time are considerations too.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

34 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Mechanically, that's kind of what happens, but each of those unit types have varying stats that also affect the balance, so this progression of countering may not be accurate or evenly distributed. Lots of things affect countering, resource cost, pop cost, and training time are considerations too.

indeed it is an approximation considering that all Infantry units have same pop cost and training time.

having X melee units and X ranged units, what i wrote is even more correct when the X variable increases. Longer range units can deploy an higher number of soldiers to shoot at max distance and attack earlier.

Indeed Biome may influence the units of your choice but this is another story.

• 1 month later...

Skirmishers are good targets for spear and sword cavalry (basically melee cavalry), archers same.

Slingers take more cavalry but if they are few then can be wiped out. For massed slingers you need a champion cavalry army

Swordsmen.. well.. don't fit in much

Use them to destroy siege but as of this alpha they are quite poor

If lategame then its quite simple for this alpha

A slinger spam is very op and needs champion cavalry to deal with them. Alternatively, descend on them with fully upgraded spear champions and try to close the distance between troops asap.

Roman cavalry champion armies are.. OP, they only fear spear champions, anything else is not an enemy, more like walking loot

Mace champspam is extra OP, counter it with OP brit chariots or a huge slinger spam

Those are the 3most OP armies yet there are ways to counter them