SCENARIO submission/ repository

13 hours ago, shieldwolf23 said:

Thanks @wowgetoffyourcellphone. I'm thinking of a space here in the website, similar to the Heaven Games, wherein we, the community, can upload our works and let others download them. This way, it'll be easy to try and review/ comment on other people's hard works of art.

Perhaps you can do a little research and see if there are open source or free or low cost solutions the team can use to add such a feature to the site.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Heaven Games, but what do you miss exactly? You can already upload and discuss things on the forums, right? If you're talking about the play0ad.com website itself, we could talk about the mods and community contributions more, but that wouldn't be a community-editable space.

1 hour ago, shieldwolf23 said:

@Lion.Kanzen is correct. That's what I was hoping, @Itms. Specifically, like this:

http://ee.heavengames.com/downloads/index.php

Ah that's clearer. We should think about that, it would be nice to have a list of all the mods existing, that are scattered across the forums. Ideally we could have ratings, etc.

In the meantime, what about creating a git repo in 0ADMods which is a curated list of user-generated content? It would be similar to awesome lists that are quite popular. Call it awesome-0ad or something and create a section for overhaul mods, for new civs mods, for map mods, for other tweaks that are not mods etc. Each item can have links to the repo, the subforum or forum topic, the moddb page, etc. You can then take pull requests and make sure the list stays tidy. When the list is displayable enough we can add it to the important places, like the website :)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, niektb said:

I think that only solves the list sections. However, an essential part of Heavengames is the ability to give reviews and rate the content that was produced... 

Indeed, that's just a "meantime" solution. It would already give a lot of directions for newcomers :)

• Like 1

There are still ways to get the game onto Steam if that's a path that is chosen, but I don't think Steam or any other platform or service should be the only solution. It's not good to force people to use another platform, and especially hard to justify forcing people to use a non-Open Source platform to get mods for an Open Source game.

To me the ideal would be if WFG could provide a place where you could search for mods, read descriptions about mods, rate them and comment on them, but where you would click on links to go to other platforms (ModDB, Nexusmods, Steam Workshop?, maybe there are others I don't know about) to get them. That way we would be able to provide a useful place to get information about mods, make it easy for mod authors/mod users to use sites/services they already are familiar with, without us having to either rely on one particular service or take the negative sides of hosting the mods ourselves (bandwidth usage, responsibility if not for the mods working as they are supposed to at least that they don't break the game/your computer).

But even that does take quite some work to implement, especially since it would require user accounts and permissions etc. Perhaps could be done as a plugin to the forums, but then that requires knowledge of the IPB code, so not something that will be done overnight anyway =)

• Like 4