Adding a dose of Powermonger features?

Hi there,

I just discovered this game, because I was looking for remakes of Powermonger and did not find anything. So I looked up what is available open source in the RTS sector. So this is how I got to 0 AD.

This made me think, that 0 AD is already the closest starting point for getting something similar, furthermore I started thinking, what are the features of Powermonger, which make that old game still unique in 2017?

These features are:

1. Communication between commanders by pigeons — I never saw anything like this in any other game later, where a message delay is important.
  2. People are not spawned, even more with their weapon, they are there and if available pick the weapons they can get. There are some special weapons for commanders like catapults and cannons
  3. The crew has to be fed and held in good mood, which gives that game already some touch of the modern "survival" games.
  4. unit control is rather indirect, you can make calls for every member of a group, or for the commanders to move with their crew to somewhere and attack something…

So I am currently not entirely sure, how I should best proceed here. I personally like to do something especially about the first and third feature, because I think that would really be something unique in a modern game.

Luckily I am an experienced javascript / php / sql developer and my C++ skills are a little bit outdated, but on the other hand, I am not sure whether I have the time to implement something of this.

And then I am not sure, whether I would like to do this as a mod, or as something different within the game. Although I think starting with a mod is the best approach.

I like to know what you think about this.

Kind Regards

Mohs