Bigger Map

Tim

Hello everyone,

So me and my friends are playing a role-playing called nationstates and a couple of us thought that there isn't much to do.  We came up with the idea of doing war and I found 0 A.D which would be the perfect game to mod to satisfy I needs for the wars.  However we need a big map and I mean A BIG map, much bigger than the max sized map at the moment.   I tried to play around with the file on the map size but the map comes out with strange 'stretch marks' (as in the map is stretched) and after a certain point I get an error about the max memory or something.  Any help would be much appreciated as 0 A.D is the first game I've modded.

Cheers

I think, you need engine improvements, especially terrain storing & rendering, because the map size isn't limited only by CPU RAM, but by GPU RAM too. I want to improve a terrain rendering, but even it'll have CPU/GPU limits.

So I could suggest to use the current biggest map and scale up map or scale down units, but it needs some changes too.

Edited by vladislavbelov
  • Like 1

There can be a workaround. Resize your assets to be smaller, which makes the map appear bigger. Would take a lot of adjustments, like camera settings, movement rates, resize terrain textures in their xml files, etc. but could be done. A lot of work.

I could see a fun type of game kind of like a real-time RISK, using gameboard pieces that you can move around the "board" attacking each other and capturing provinces.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2