===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

Can you try to reduce the visibilty of the veins ? It still look like a bit like they are bodybuilt. Also maybe make the sleeves delimitations a bit more obvious. Not sure but I think there is a slight glitch in the skirt. Anyways, it's good work. Any hopes for a tutorial ? :P

@stanislas69 I'm note really sure if I can make a very good tutorial on how to work on textures, all I can provide are tips which I learned and gained in my two years of creating textures here :) You can have a grasp on ideas on how my work flow on textures go if you will look on my .psd source files :)

I mostly make use and photo manipulate in game textures which I find useful (The skirt and the cloth wrapped around the waist of the Judean slinger was derived from the 0ad Mauryan unit textures)

• I just colored a new layer underneath the Mauryan unit .png texture, to get the skirt details
  • Then adjusted the contrast to make it look sharper and better
  • Next step was to decolorize it by adjusting the hue or the color to zero
  • And the final step is to adjust the skirt texture color to something close to light gray, as I find it the best when using multiply layer settings

Other tips

• Multiply layers (or the shape detail layer, i.e. skirt folds) should be smooth as possible. It should only contain the shading details
  • Texture details (such as textile details or dirt details) should be placed underneath the multiply layers
  • When making color layers underneath multiply layers, just duplicate the multiply layer and place it underneath, change the duplicated layer from multiply back to normal, then use preserve opacity settings (A setting where the active area is restricted to the contents of a layer, not sure what it is called in Adobe Photoshop)
  • After choosing a desired color, you can now add layer textures to emulate general texture details, such as, metal texture or cloth textures.
  • Shadows or edge details are done using the same steps above, just duplicate and place in the very bottom of the part that you are working, after duplicating the layer, adjust the brightness to zero, then move it 1 or 2 pixels to the left and 1 or two pixels to the right (Depending on the kind of texture, for example, if you want a shield boss to appear edged over a texture, you will need to move the edge details layer 1 or 2 pixels on all sides, up, bottom, left and right. The final step here is to reduce the opacity of this layer between 15% to 75% or higher, depending on your preference so that the shadow or edge doesn't look too strong or dark.

You will understand this better if you look through my .psd files

I hope this helps :)

• Like 2