===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

050519 - Paeonians.jpg

This is how the Paeonians were depicted in Ancient Warfare XII.2 with The Thracians and Their Kin. Their shield was substituted with a round bronze pelte, similar to the one used by the pezhetairoi.

Also, could I use Hellenistic era tunics, similar to the ones above and the ones used by the Ptolemaic and Seleucid thureoporoi for the pezhetairoi?

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, wackyserious said:

050519 - Paeonians.jpg

This is how the Paeonians were depicted in Ancient Warfare XII.2 with The Thracians and Their Kin. Their shield was substituted with a round bronze pelte, similar to the one used by the pezhetairoi.

Also, could I use Hellenistic era tunics, similar to the ones above and the ones used by the Ptolemaic and Seleucid thureoporoi for the pezhetairoi?

These guys need belts or ties (probably without modern "buckles").

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions? Or should we retain the previously assigned actors for them?

This proposal was a response to this:

On 5/5/2019 at 8:36 PM, wackyserious said:

On 5/20/2019 at 3:02 AM, wackyserious said:

052019 - Macedonians.jpg

Agrianes have been confused by ancient authors as Thracians, so maybe some thracian cape for the basic version could be useful.

Moreover, Agrianes are Paeonians, and it seems that Paeonians used some illyrian helmets according to their coins:

https://www.cgbfr.com/peonie-royaume-de-peonie-patraos-tetradrachme-sup-ttb-,bgr_469398,a.html

image.png.4800605806f2b0d695ce00b04f1eab72.png

So why not a mixture of pilos, thracian and illyrian helmets for the elite version?

• Thanks 1

Well done, but to quibble over a few points, Alexander the Great's appearance was best depicted (at least according to Plutarch) by a statue of Lysippus, of which there is a Roman copy.  Emphasising the curls would be especially good.  Arrian apparently also states that he had a brown and a blue eye.  You can ignore the hair bit, but in game, the eyes will definitely be seen as an inaccuracy unless you painstakingly change them.  

Image result for lysippus alexander

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Something that annoys me are the chitons (tunics) of several basic units currently in game, e.g.:1756152501_Screenshotfrom2019-05-2312-34-54.png.e2ae3c09c04ba276b422c0e4ceb8fdb4.png

mace_infantry_pikeman_b, mace_infantry_javelinist_b, mace_infantry_slinger_b, mace_infantry_archer_b.

Wearing the tunic only over the left shoulder was a characteristic of slaves and serfs, leaving the right arm free for hard labour. Free men wore a tunic closing at both shoulders. With the exception of the helots (spart_infantry_javelinist), all warriors in Antiquity were free men and none of them should thus leave a shoulder or chest bare.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:33 AM, wackyserious said:

The loyal and brave foot companions.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:26 AM, wackyserious said:

Just a concept for a Macedonian officer. This could be used by mods who use banner carriers and offcers since I could not find a suitable unit in the game which could use it

Perhaps the following text is useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Decree_of_Amphipolis

(Full inscription at https://epigraphy.packhum.org/text/152464 )

10 hours ago, wackyserious said:

A texture upgrade for the Macedonian hero Alexander the Great

Inspired by this?

Alexander_the_Great_mosaic.jpg

9 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

Well done, but to quibble over a few points, Alexander the Great's appearance was best depicted (at least according to Plutarch) by a statue of Lysippus, of which there is a Roman copy.  Emphasising the curls would be especially good.  Arrian apparently also states that he had a brown and a blue eye.  You can ignore the hair bit, but in game, the eyes will definitely be seen as an inaccuracy unless you painstakingly change them. 

That eye-colour bit is nonsense, but his haircut was famous:

Aleksander-d-store.jpg

Edited by Nescio
  • Like 1

What makes you skeptical regarding the eyes?  Is there a more reliable source that contradicts Arrian's claim?  If you're not aware, I might have been a bit sarcastic about the importance of depicting that in the actual game; I just found it to be an interesting physical description I had never heard before.

@wackyserious Some ideas for you

Can you try to add more details like this ? (From the 3rd link)

BuisE8f.jpg

EDIT: I believe we have no special texture for Ptolemy IV, a very brief description can be found here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Civ%3A_Ptolemies

• Thanks 1

Ptolemy IV, according to the design document for the Ptolemaic faction. (I will replace it with muscle cuirass, sorry)

052319 - Macedonians (4).jpg

Specific Name: Ptolemaios D' Philopater.

Body: Bronze muscled cuirass over a long flowing Egyptian tunic. Sandals.

Helmet: Laurel wreath crown

@Stan` Is it the details of the armor which you linked or the overall appearance of the armor which you want me to reproduce?

1 minute ago, wackyserious said:

Ptolemy IV, according to the design document for the Ptolemaic faction. (I will replace it with muscle cuirass, sorry)

Sweet !

1 minute ago, wackyserious said:

Is it the details of the armor which you linked or the overall appearance of the armor which you want me to reproduce?

The details, though if you want to do more armors, why not :P 

For some reason they look better than yours (no offense, also not all of them) but I can't pinpoint why they look better, maybe it's because they have a normal map, which you can by the way enable on animated meshes by setting gpuskinning = "true" in your game options, or maybe it's because they have more details, or different shadows. Maybe @wowgetoffyourcellphone or @LordGood could give you a better insight.

• Thanks 1