===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

17 hours ago, wackyserious said:

@Prodigal Son It is actually still a linothorax, just dyed in a shade of yellow :) I've seen several illustrations where the linothorax was dyed yellow

I thought it's some type of bronze armor with small scales, plainted linothorax makes sense though.

17 hours ago, wackyserious said:

So here's the final set? @Prodigal Son

Looks fine :) 

Not sure exactly what direction to support though. Are we talking battalions or single units in the end? Is the focus multiplayer and readability or maximum realism? Those 4 types are a happy medium to me. 

@Nescio To further differentiate units, and since this pikeman above is most likely in his civilian outfit, I'd say let's keep the Kausia hat (and any other hat/helmet) to a minimum of unit classes.

Edited by Prodigal Son
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Proposal for the Scythian archers of the Athenian faction.

The current actor file uses the Persian kidaris while the one below uses the Thracian cap which far more resembles the one that Scythians wore.

Amphora depictions of Scythian archers also suggest that they sometimes worn armor.

091618 - Scythians.jpg

http://www.stoa.org/projects/demos/article_scythian_archers?page=all

The Scythian archers acted as a police force for the Athenian urban society.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If I might give a recommendation for the Spartans, they were known to braid their hair during battle, as is attested by Plutarch and Herodotus.  I think that incorporating that aspect into the game would be a worthwhile addition.

Greek%2BWarfare1.jpg

As for skiritai, there isn't a lot of information I am aware of from ancient sources.  Thucydides mentions their role in the battle of Mantinea and Xenophon briefly mentions their purpose in his work Cyropaedia and also eludes to their fighting in the Hellenica.  Nothing from them as far as I remember relate to what they wore.  Since they were known for doing operations that would be difficult for soldiers that were heavily encumbered, 0 A.D. interprets their equipment to be lighter than most, but it would be hard to substantiate that conclusion with any evidence from primary sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Also, the current texture are wearing boots, aren't boots a Hellenistic period thing? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe boots had been depicted on merchants and/or travelers, and also Iphicrates (early 4th century, before Hellenistic times) was known to have adapted such boots for his soldiers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:26 PM, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

If I might give a recommendation for the Spartans, they were known to braid their hair during battle, as is attested by Plutarch and Herodotus.  I think that incorporating that aspect into the game would be a worthwhile addition.

Greek%2BWarfare1.jpg

As for skiritai, there isn't a lot of information I am aware of from ancient sources.  Thucydides mentions their role in the battle of Mantinea and Xenophon briefly mentions their purpose in his work Cyropaedia and also eludes to their fighting in the Hellenica.  Nothing from them as far as I remember relate to what they wore.  Since they were known for doing operations that would be difficult for soldiers that were heavily encumbered, 0 A.D. interprets their equipment to be lighter than most, but it would be hard to substantiate that conclusion with any evidence from primary sources.

Based on the depictions above, could I use padded armor or linen armor for the Spartan Skiritai unit?

Granted, this has no historical basis whatsoever, but at least in my opinion it doesn't really make sense for the skiritai to have full blown hoplons.  If they were supposed to be a crack company of light infantry no encumbered by armour, then why would they have a huge clumsy shield?  Possibly a smaller shield like a Pelta.

• Like 1

I would say probably not.  Spartans were known for braiding their hair, not skiritai to my understanding.  As for linen armour, I would say that is plausible for them to wear, maybe even no armour.  I would be cautious about abandoning the hoplon.  Although their role in the phalanx was different from mainline troops, they definitely fought in it, and given that heavily armed peltasts had been incorporated into most armies of this time, I would say it is completely implausible for skiritai to be armed that way.

• Like 2