===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

1 hour ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

What makes you skeptical regarding the eyes?  Is there a more reliable source that contradicts Arrian's claim?  If you're not aware, I might have been a bit sarcastic about the importance of depicting that in the actual game; I just found it to be an interesting physical description I had never heard before.

To start with, where exactly does Arrian make this claim? (I couldn't find it.) Moreover, complete heterochromia is extremely rare in humans. Furthermore, whenever eyes are described in a classical text, it's usually because they're gods. To me, it seems yet another attempt to mythologize the man.

14 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

@Stan` The textures were 512s and it has more shadow (your guy here is lazy with this :D although I could try to experiment more )

Yeah I believe shadows are really important for the depth effect. 

Interesting about it is the excellent weathered effects and the use of warm tone in white. Nice find, we could learn from these. :)  

The modders at Taleworlds and at Total War made really awesome textures even though the engine wasn't that good, and I always found it awesome how they could take every little detail out. I mean look at this, it is ridiculous:  (Taken from the Uniform spoiler here)

austrianjager.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stan` said:

Lots of great stuff, especially from the 1st link! Wow.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Indeed, zebra pelt on a Gaul, notsogood. 

Probably they wanted to represent Celtic mercenaries in Africa, but zebra are not in North Africa, even during the Ancient Egypt. Same problem for giraff's pelts.

And gosh, the bronze age helmet in iron :wacko: Moreover all the belts are wrong, all the scabbards etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wackyserious said:

Luckily, I was able to recover the source file and enhance it a bit, I also added a spec map for it.

The previous texture had l very visible overlap in the neck area connecting the front and back parts together and is also quite dark and losing some detail in some areas.

Nice, where is that cuirass from ?

6 hours ago, wackyserious said:

Luckily, I was able to recover the source file and enhance it a bit, I also added a spec map for it.

The previous texture had l very visible overlap in the neck area connecting the front and back parts together and is also quite dark and losing some detail in some areas.

052419 - Macedonians.jpg

Nice fix!

He could probably use some sleeves poking out the sides or something.

50ecd63c917ef51ecc16c8f70e8462ac.jpgalexander.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 5:42 AM, Hidan said:

@wackyserious can u add this macedonian textures on seleucid pikemen?

screenshot0001.thumb.png.bb050becf2ff6bec963a67f1d92bc204.png

The old textures were almost identical too right? I did not push this yet due to concerns with distinguish-ability but my first statement could also prove me wrong. I want to hear more opinions from others before going on with this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...