===[TASK]=== Greek Unit Texture (General Thread)

wackyserious

Just my opinion: I actually love all the variation in colour, and I'm personally not the biggest fan of reducing too much variation for the sake of readability. Historicity is one of the biggest selling points of this game (as well as detail in the art and variation in units). There are many ways of finding out which units belong to who, and I hardly have difficulties differentiating between them. There are 13 civs and 8 player is the max number of players, so you should be differentiating units based on which civilisation they belong to. Alternatively, the mini-map clearly shows colour, and simply clicking a unit will also give you all of the info you need. Also epic battles were often quite chaotic, ending in all out brawls with fighters from all sides running all over the place, which is also a big part of the fun and immersion. You never really know for sure who has the upper hand until the very end, which also adds to the excitement :) 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

Just my opinion: I actually love all the variation in colour, and I'm personally not the biggest fan of reducing too much variation for the sake of readability. Historicity is one of the biggest selling points of this game (as well as detail in the art and variation in units). There are many ways of finding out which units belong to who, and I hardly have difficulties differentiating between them. There are 13 civs and 8 player is the max number of players, so you should be differentiating units based on which civilisation they belong to. Alternatively, the mini-map clearly shows colour, and simply clicking a unit will also give you all of the info you need. Also epic battles were often quite chaotic, ending in all out brawls with fighters from all sides running all over the place, which is also a big part of the fun and immersion. You never really know for sure who has the upper hand until the very end, which also adds to the excitement :) 

I don't really disagree with you, it's all down to perspective. Depending on the game's target priorities, there needs to be a choice on the balance between realism and readability, which is especially valid for (competitive) multiplayer, where it's very helpful to rapidly indentify unit types. Plus I sometimes tend to favor the later for some aspects because not everyone playing such games is a history buff and colours for units are largely guesswork (even if often an educated one). I doubt many people will see the game as ahistorical if it has the most plausible armor/clothing, but not in the most plausible colour palette. But then again I can see this approach as immersion breaking for some people like you said.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Purple would be more for the Somatophylakes and other close "philoi" of the King. Purple was a very expensive dye, created by pulverizing crustaceans pulled from the sea off of the coast of Phoenicia.

Now that's a "Did you know ?" I like :D

4 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Purple would be more for the Somatophylakes and other close "philoi" of the King. Purple was a very expensive dye, created by pulverizing crustaceans pulled from the sea off of the coast of Phoenicia. 

Not crustaceans (crabs, lobsters, and shrimps), but sea snails. Also, the our modern word “purple” is very limited; the purple dye could actually generate a whole spectrum of shades from pink to red to brown and everything in between. The darker the colour, the more dye was required, so a black robe would be even more expensive than a faintly purple one.

Other very expensive dyes in Antiquity, besides Tyrian purple, were:

• carmine (crimson, scarlet), probably originating in Armenia, made from Kermes and related beetle scales, which produced intensely bright shades of red; nowadays it's still used for cardinal robes and red M&Ms.
  • saffron, possibly originating in Greece, made from flower threads, which produced warm golden shades of yellow; it was and still is very important in Greater Persia/Iran
  • indigo, won independently in several areas around the world, including India, produced from flowers of the Indigofera plants, which produced shades of blue; jeans are coloured with (synthetic) indigo today

On the other hand, there were many other cheap, widely available, and locally produced dyes, such as charcoal, henna, ochre, ox blood, woad, etc.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2018 at 8:08 PM, Nescio said:
  • saffron, possibly originating in Greece, made from flower threads, which produced warm golden shades of yellow; it was and still is very important in Greater Persia/Iran
  • indigo, won independently in several areas around the world, including India, produced from flowers of the Indigofera plants, which produced shades of blue; jeans are coloured with (synthetic) indigo today

On the other hand, there were many other cheap, widely available, and locally produced dyes, such as charcoal, henna, ochre, ox blood, woad, etc.

@Prodigal Son It is actually still a linothorax, just dyed in a shade of yellow :) I've seen several illustrations where the linothorax was dyed yellow