Questions about Alpha 21 gameplay

Alekusu

Hi alekusu!

First of all:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha21

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Alpha22

- What is the best civ in Alpha 21 and why?

Don't really think there is one that is best. Mauryans, britons, gauls, spartans, macedonians, athenians, carthaginians, romans, iberians, persians seem to be the best ones, i.e. all but ptol and seleucids X)
- What is the worst civ in Alpha 21 and why?

Not particularly happy about ptolemians not having infantry champions, but ptolemians much better this alpha since elephants got buffed much and they get infantry champions in alpha 22. Wouldn't really call any of the civs bad. Seleucids are slightly slower to train champions and you have to decide between chariots and swordmen champions.

- What are good timings to reach phase 2 and phase 3?

Phase 2 faster than in alpha 20 now, maybe minute 8? Depends on how much population you want. Phase 3 should be done reached at minute 12-14 maybe.

- What are the OP units ? (like slingers or sword cav or archer champs or whatever)

Slingers, skiritai, elephants if done early, spear infantry champions, roman cavalry champions is what I recall. slingers, skirtai, spear infantry were nerfed in alpha 22. Iberian fireships, naked fanatics strong too.

- Are there New features that change old build orders considerably?

Not that much. One measurable change is that arrows aren't as accurate anymore at range.

- Do people use Corals and Fishing?

If they don't it's their own fault. Corrals are (still) really good to replace females on fields later on, since one cavalry gathers food much faster than a female (5x without upgrades, 2x if females have all upgrades IIRC), and the cavalry can be used to fight too.

Fish still 2x faster than women on fields and you can train fishing ships from a dock simultaenously with women at a civic center, so if you have fish close, there is a significant advantage.

- How are rams / elephants?

Much stronger, catapults too. But you need to guard them, back them up with citizen soldiers too

- Are healers usefull now?

More useful after they were buffed by causative, but depends on the situation. Temples are still more useful, but you can't build them in enemy territory.

- Is it faster to destroy or capture? (with citizen soldier and with champions)

That's a major change in Alpha 21. It's economically not useful anymore to destroy buildings with infantry and cavalry, since they have much more armor. Also champions more expensive and much slower to train.

- What is a good timing to reach 300 pop if booming?

Still quickly, the old "300 pop in 16min" thing should still work.

- Who is the best player of the moment (I guess borg)?

Probably borg-

- What mods are Sufficiently advanced to do a video?

Delenda Est is nice, but you might want to ask niektb for a greater list

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

Since the Batch Training Size can now be modified in the Options Menu, I believe that it could play a significant part on Build Orders.

I imagine there will be this odd little meta game to decide the "optimal" batch training size and once someone finds it, everyone will be forced to use it to remain competitive. I find it strange that the option was added.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I imagine there will be this odd little meta game to decide the "optimal" batch training size and once someone finds it, everyone will be forced to use it to remain competitive. I find it strange that the option was added.

And I thought that was the point... especially for those factions like the Iberians who get 3 pop per house, and the Celtic factions who get some pop bonuses per structure.

• Like 1

Well, one could argue it's about "customization" of the gameplay, but now you're putting other players at a possible hidden disadvantage because they are using the default 5-batch, unawares of the customizable batch option.

IMHO, UI things should be a level playing field.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

Some commonly used armies, massed

Athens: Phase 2 sword champs + slingers. Phase 2 sword cav. Phase 3 archer + citizen spears

Brits: Phase 2 sword cav or slingers. Hero Cunobelin (OP healer) non aggressive + slingers and/or sword cav.

Carth: Archers + eles. Sword iberian cav + Marhabal.

Gauls: Sword cav + fanatics. Slingers.

Iberia: Fire cav + spear cav to block. Fire ships. Slingers + rams.

Mace: P1 spear cav. Spear champs + hero Philip. Rams + hero Demetrius + citizens

Maurya: Archers + eles.  Sword cav. Charriots (hard to get).

Persia: Archers + eles. Sword cav and/or charriots + hero Cyrus.

Pto: Range units + Cleopatra + eles.

Rome: Phase 1 spear cav. Citizens + hero Marcus + rams.  Champion sword cav

Sele: Archer cav (+ Antiochus + charriots).

Sparta: Skiritai + skirms (+ spears).  Leonidas + champs + champ skirms (+ skiris).

All civs strong but some (pto, sele) might run into trouble (no good army early).

OPiest civ: Persia, if you can mass charriots very fast (min 10-12).

Then brit: slinger + cunobelin.

Late mace: full champion army.

Best player by far: upgraded borg-, when he started harrasing early with cav.

Strongest players: (borg), (defenderbenny=ww_butcher, vercingetorix, liberty, zoro), (feldfeld, JC, arcadius, physic, temple)

Early phase 2 (3-4) only for sword cav or fanatic rush.

Big citizen army to defend more important than early phase 3.

Capture faster but destroy garrisoned buildings.

Cav rush is very effective now.

Hope to see you fighting for the highest ranks soon.

• Like 2

One of my favorite civs are Persians since they are very versatile and probably is one of the civs that doesn't force a mass spam of units (which, for counter-system reason should be avoided) and probably it is the most fun to play.

Despite their relatively weak hero auras, persian are able to train champions directly on the battlefield thanks to their hero Cyrus and their cavalry is one of the strongest in game.

Plus they have sieges and elephants, skirmsiher infantry champions.

Same for seleucids who have a great diversity of units.

Indeed briton slingers mass and macedonian champion mass are the most powerful strategies, while ptolemais are one of the weakest civs because they lack on champions and pikemen move too slowly for any action out of own territory.

My favorite nowadays is the Seleucid. Nice buildings with pines and can cut more trees around the base and still beautiful to see. Wonder is just nice size.

Units are good looking with so many types except that cavalry skirmisher doesn't show promotions.

Just found out that walls can be garrisoned up to 5 units and lined up nicely! 

IMG_1084.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Servo said:

My favorite nowadays is the Seleucid. Nice buildings with pines and can cut more trees around the base and still beautiful to see. Wonder is just nice size.

Units are good looking with so many types except that cavalry skirmisher doesn't show promotions.

Just found out that walls can be garrisoned up to 5 units and lined up nicely! 

IMG_1084.JPG

F2 to create screenshot.

I am going to take some time and answer some of your questions for sure but in the meantime I think some best/worst are also based on which maps you are playing, for example I find the Iberians fire ship to be highly effective in destroying ports easily.  What I am trying to figure out when doing random civs are what the best defensive strategies are vs. siege in each civ.  That is a question I would ask a pro player.  Keep up the good videos they are very informative and helpful.