Questions about Alpha 21 gameplay

Alekusu

Hello all, it's been a while!

I am planning to do some gameplay videos again on my youtube channel but because it has been so long (about 3 alphas) I'd like to know more about the gameplay before uploading new videos so here are my questions (a lot of it and not in a special order!)

- What is the best civ in Alpha 21 and why? 
- What is the worst civ in Alpha 21 and why?
- What are good timings to reach phase 2 and phase 3?
- What are the OP units ? (like slingers or sword cav or archer champs or whatever)
- Are there New features that change old build orders considerably?
- Do people use Corals and Fishing?
- How are rams / elephants?
- Are healers usefull now?
- Is it faster to destroy or capture? (with citizen soldier and with champions)
- What is a good timing to reach 300 pop if booming?
- Who is the best player of the moment (I guess borg)?
- Who are other good players I should try to cast for some commented videos?
- Is there any special strategy lately like tower rush or fast champion or slinger rush?
- What is a good timing to get first hero?
- What is a good timing to get 20 champions?
- What mods are Sufficiently advanced to do a video?

I'll watch some videos too but if someone can answer those questions it will help anyway!

Thanks a lot!

• Best and worst factions: Even I can't tell But I'll just comment based on popularity:
    • Best: Britons
    • Worst: Carthage
  • Phase 2: 4-8 mins
  • Phase 3: 10-15 mins
  • OP Units: Slingers against buildings (especially Phase 1), Spear Cavs for Rushes, Boudicca's Aura
  • Build Orders - Can't comment. I think your old videos are still applicable. You just need to update it to Alpha 21.
  • Corrals because, for some reason, Cavalry Rushing has become popular
  • Rams / Elephants - Still your typical siege weapons. Ranged Siege Units are nearly impractical
  • Capturing
    • Champions destroy/capture faster
    • Garrisoned structures are much more difficult to capture
    • Lowering a structure's HP will make it easier (hence siege weapons still play a role)
  • Booming to 300 at any time. Not good (Just because of Alpha's lag issue)
  • Best player (at the moment): borg- Sometimes I think PhyZic.
  • Other Notable Players: Jeane Claude, and soloooyo - These guys have playstyles that are worth noting.
  • Special Strategy: Gauls' Naked Fanatic Rush, Iberian Fire Ships, Iberian Siege Horse Hit-and-Run Tactics, and yes Slinger and Cav Rushes. The Persian Chariot Rush, though viable, is not used often (at least in the replays).
  • Getting Champions and Heroes (Not sure. Maybe ASAP as you as you get to City Phase?)
  • Mods:
    • DE - I don't feature this because my graphics card just can't do justice. DE is made to be played with graphics maxed.
    • Terra Magna - The "new" kid. I was told that Rise of the East merged with the Mesoamerican Mod to make this
  • Like 3

One more question:

Is there a gathering speed bonus or a damage/armor bonus when reaching phase 2 and 3?
I mean for example does a spearman during phase 1 have the exact same statistics as a spearman during phase 3 (without any upgrade researched)?

If there is a difference, what is that difference?

4 minutes ago, Alekusu said:

I mean for example does a spearman during phase 1 have the exact same statistics as a spearman during phase 3 (without any upgrade researched)?

If there is a difference, what is that difference?

This can be found in the phase tech json files, opened by any text editor such as notepad or notepad++.

For example, we see this for Town phase:

"tooltip": "Advance to Town Phase, which unlocks more structures and units. Territory radius for Civic Centers increased by +30%. Citizen soldiers max health increased by +20%. All structures +7 garrisoned regeneration rate.",
	"modifications": [
		{ "value": "TerritoryInfluence/Radius", "multiply": 1.30, "affects": "CivCentre" },
		{ "value": "Health/Max", "multiply": 1.2, "affects": "CitizenSoldier" },
		{ "value": "Capturable/GarrisonRegenRate", "add": 7.0, "affects": "Structure" }
	],

And this for City phase:

"tooltip": "Advance to City Phase, which unlocks more structures and units. Territory radius for Civic Centers increased by another +50%. Citizen soldiers max health increased by +10%. All structures +9 garrisoned regeneration rate.",
	"modifications": [
		{ "value": "TerritoryInfluence/Radius", "multiply": 1.50, "affects": "CivCentre" },
		{ "value": "Health/Max", "multiply": 1.1, "affects": "CitizenSoldier" },
		{ "value": "Capturable/GarrisonRegenRate", "add": 9.0, "affects": "Structure" }
	],

To put it succuinctly, all citizen soldiers gain health when phasing up.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

I agree, I'm working on 4 build orders with Seleucids (what you guys did with the art is just so awesome) (Boom, fast hero, mass cav archers and fast expand). I'll make a video for each but probably will put the detailed build order in the forum.

• Like 1