Recovering password?

GraveDigger

Somehow proving that you are the rightful owner of that account and bugging a moderator that then has to use the engine to hash the desired password allows changing that indirectly. Getting a moderator to delete the account and recreating that is easier for the moderator.

It saves a hash of the password that is used to log in. That way, your password is never stored on your computer and is never send over the Internet.

If someone grabs the password hash in some way (f.e. via malware on your computer, or via listening on an unprotected connection), the only thing they can do is using that password hash to log in to the lobby. They cannot reconstruct the original password, so in case you reuse your password for other services, they won't be able to impersonate you there.

Services that are able to tell you what your password is are inherently insecure (as opposed to services that can give you a new random password on request).

We currently don't offer a way to reset a password (which will probably get implemented some time), but at least we're secure.

• Like 2

So what do I do then? I just purchased a new computer a few days ago. Do I need to verify that it is my account? Who would I need to talk to to do this? I'd also be happy to have it deleted and just make a new one. Just want to be able to play with my friend, that got me into this game... Whatever is the easiest way to go about it, is fine with me.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

@CovenantKillerJContact @user1 about it via PM. You need to try to prove that you are the account holder, for example based on IP address, approximate dates that you created the account and that you last signed into the account, example things that you said in the lobby, approximate last known rating, etc. Another possibility is to prove that you control the IP address that successfully logged into the account.  If you can catch user1 on IRC then you can PM him there to ask what he wants to know about your account in order to prove that you're the owner.

Be aware that there is sometimes a several day response time from user1.

Edited by Norse_Harold

1 hour ago, Norse_Harold said:

@CovenantKillerJContact @user1 about it via PM. You need to try to prove that you are the account holder, for example based on IP address, approximate dates that you created the account and that you last signed into the account, example things that you said in the lobby, approximate last known rating, etc. Another possibility is to prove that you control the IP address that successfully logged into the account.  If you can catch user1 on IRC then you can PM him there to ask what he wants to know about your account in order to prove that you're the owner.

Be aware that there is sometimes a several day response time from user1.

Okay, thanks!