Hi, Im lukamas

Hello, I am an avid animal modeller and texture artist...

Its a pleasure to be here on the 0ad forums.

I would be willing to create content for 0ad, But I have a question

I read about the texture license thing on certain images not usable for texturing because of copyright, Is Flickr or Wikipedia a good site for textures?

And I use blender to model my animals, so If you guys have an animal that wants to be made for 0ad, please let me know.

And I cant wait to work with you guys on this amazing project.

I think its worth the try to start making Content for this game.

My name is Lukamas, and I cant wait to get to know the other developers, and start working on 0ad.

And Make some mods.

Edited by lukamas

Both Flickr and Wikipedia clearly list the license of the images (every image has a different license on that site).

Normally, the license is pretty clear (it says CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, GPL, CC-0, CC-BY-NC, ...) in the license details. There are some we can use, and some we can't. In general, everything committed to the game should become CC-BY-SA, as we like to keep it simple.

• CC-0: This license doesn't put any restrictions on the file. So we can simply use it in game content that uses the CC-BY-SA license
  • CC-BY: Requires attribution (the original author should be placed in the contributors file), but it can also be used in CC-BY-SA content, so it's fine to use this, but just remember the authors
  • CC-BY-SA: This is the license we use for the game art. So it's fine to use files with this license, but again the original author should be attributed
  • CC-BY-NC: This license limits commercial usage (NC stands for Non-Commercial). This isn't usable in the game as we don't want to limit commercial usage (f.e. ad-supported gameplay videos).
  • CC-BY-ND: This license doesn't allow you to make derivations from it. So it's entirely unsuitable to base another piece of artwork on.
  • GPL: This is an old art license, it's pretty similar to CC-BY-SA, but not compatible with it. There isn't a lot of art left with that license, and we just want to keep things simple (with a single license for all artwork), so files with this license shouldn't be used.

Here's some more information about the CC licenses: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

If you have doubts about a file, just put a link to it here, and we can give some advise.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

As I read these "terms and use" text, according to this sentence, I would say it's possible to use them in 0 A.D :

You are permitted to:
B) incorporate the Photos in computer games and 3D models;

However, you are not allowed to resell or give away our photos as 'textures', texture packs, materials, clipart or any other product that competes with our website.

It's the end of the sentence that matters here.

PS : I'll contact the maintainer of textures.com for more details.

Edited by xanax