Heightmap Help

Skhorn

Hi,

I had been experimenting with the heigtmaps, following this guide https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20786-palaxins-heightmap-guide/, but i'm struggling with the ocean-floor, as i cannot modify it to make it deeper in Atlas (Units can walk over it). As what i have read i need both topography and bathymetry to use the script that Palaxin provided to increase the ocean-floor.

This is my result

Spoiler

screenshot0003.png.d23be41d4c2111eeb71dddd40bca1615.thumb.png.f8a8b9a1ec3768f94215f88a00189533.png

The original image i used

Spoiler

mesita3.jpg.d881ebad673eed8242fa2c1d9767c5bb.jpg.dac8853b571c89b059500ac1437b459f.jpg

After several tries while croping, scaling and importing in atlas to see the results, this was the final

Spoiler

mesita.png.d56ee19bd8fe6debbb4abbb1b68436bb.png

So, how can accomplish a deeper ocean? Do i strictly need topography and bathymetry to accomplish this? Or there is another solution?

Edited by Skhorn

I guess that it all depends on how the image is generated the first time. When I followed Palaxin's guide, and merged it with the straightforward source from Skhorn, the water depth is not enough to make the ocean deep. I guess that either (1) settle with a land mass with lower mountains or (2) manually edit the ocean to give more depth.

9 minutes ago, shieldwolf23 said:

I guess that it all depends on how the image is generated the first time. When I followed Palaxin's guide, and merged it with the straightforward source from Skhorn, the water depth is not enough to make the ocean deep. I guess that either (1) settle with a land mass with lower mountains or (2) manually edit the ocean to give more depth.

Guess the idea is not to manually edit the map to get more ocean deep

@FeXoR - I followed the guide (beginner level) to the letter, and here's my result. You can see that the water level is shallow.

samples231.png.png

Here's what I did, using Brightness contrast

output levels - 5

All Channels - 100

then, gaussian blur - 4

The water would still be in the same level, but land would be higher. I can now edit the water level via Notepad++, and use 80 to finalize it.

samples3.png

Edited by shieldwolf23
  • Like 1

darn, i wanted to start mapping, but wraitii insistence about the 8-bit height map made me start to find a solution for that :bouncing: guess i will try to use your script or come up with one. 

I'm happy with the result i got after modyfing it (But i got my doubt about those mountains, more blur it will be), but i will give it a try to that 16-bit to 8-bit process and see what happens

Spoiler

screenshot0471.thumb.png.115175fe2066106dc2a3069661043f0a.png