Locking traders / merchants to single resource

jonbaer

Right now you have to partition your trade by % of each resource you wish to trade, are there any plans to make it so that you could actually lock a trader to a particular resource type?  I would imagine you could do this somehow by just extending the current trader / merchant ship to say "Metal Trader" or "Wood Trader", etc.  A few times I had a case where I wanted my longer routes to do metal but I didn't want to allocate it to 100%.  Does this make sense or has this been discussed under the Market before?

• Like 1

Originally, the only way to set the resource type on traders was to set it per trader. A newly created trader was always spawned with a default resource type (metal IIRC), and every trader had to be clicked once to change its resource type.

As a result, this was very unmanageable, as doing trading meant having to chase your traders all over the map to change their resources.

Mimo then implemented better trader management by automatically assigning a new resource based on a global distribution. But that meant it was incompatible with the old way (or at least quite hard to combine the two approaches).

Now the trade gives you a general expected distribution (the actual result still depends on a random selection), which is good enough for trading. If you want a more fine-grained control over the produced resources, you should use the resource-gathering units I guess.

• Like 3