Which are the differences/similarities between Bang Engine and Pyrogenesis?

Lion.Kanzen

I can't really comment any further from how pyrogenesis "looks" because that can change. Well, gameplay can change, features can change, and maybe even its concept of RTS can change... just like any other engine.

The only real difference I can point to is Open Source vs. Proprietary. People with Free Time vs. People who get paid.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Don't have some feature that the people thinks the illumination or graphic are similar?

Wtf Lion you've seen how the engine has been developed from different people and how art has evolved over time to get advantage of the changes. It was built from scratch. Also it was already pointed that the aoe engines were propietary so it isn't even possible to take stuff from it. I don't see any other similarities it could have other than art style legacy and rts camera. Almost all 3d games use dynamic lighting for example and that doesn't mean that one game is similar to another.

3 minutes ago, Enrique said:

Wtf Lion you've seen how the engine has been developed from different people and how art has evolved over time to get advantage of the changes. It was built from scratch. Also it was already pointed that the aoe engines were propietary so it isn't even possible to take stuff from it. I don't see any other similarities it could have other than art style legacy and rts camera. Almost all 3d games use dynamic lighting for example and that doesn't mean that one game is similar to another.

I'm not thinking in that way. About taking code from engine, you don't similitares is obviously but the people and says, things.

like:

• look like AOM.
  • its that AOE 3 mod?
  • its that AOE engine?

the RTS camera yeah can be, but I'm asking type brightness.

gaming common sense of realism?

My point is have a base when people say this. Even have some engine features, you asked some to technical forum, don't you?

so that things that I'm not expert I'm talking.

This video open my curiosity.

https://youtu.be/wyqnWN8XWPg

is style art?

the game don't uses isometric view, by default.

are textures same style?

for example EE1,and RoN for me aren't even similar but some little things, are familiar in Bang! Engine, now we have AOM Extended edition. They improved the engine.

Sonwe found together a answer for fans, even for trolls.

IMG_5067.PNG

IMG_5068.PNG

IMG_5069.PNG

Might I suggest reading through your questions a bit more before posting them? That should result in better questions that could even result in actual answers. Right now most of these just seem like a random bunch of words from which one could maybe derive some question if one spends more time than you did while asking it. Also caring about questions by people on a platform where the average attention span makes a Higgs boson's lifetime seem long is nice, but if you are only investing about as much time into relaying such questions you aren't going to get anything that resembles an answer. (Slightly unrelated, but you might also want to keep that pointless thread bumping and necro posting down. Actually adhering to the first part of your signature might do wonders.)

That said 3D RTS engines tend to look similar, especially if the art style is similar. Also the Age of Empires series is one of the bigger influences, so some similarity should be expected. But then comparing a few screenshots from a few historical 3D RTS games (more specifically buildings) will show quite some similarities. One of the reasons for that is having game entities look familiar to players new to that specific game, but not to the genre itself (compare barracks layouts which do tend to be U shaped). But anyone spending some time thinking about the whole issue should be able to deduce that those similarites are caused by the type of game being made, quite similar to FPS games really.

• Like 9

The simple truth is people just like to compare video games to one another. Breath of the Wild is like Horizon zero dawn, which is similar to Witcher 3, which itself is like Skyrim, which is... a clone of Pac-Man.

I've seen many of these 0 A.D. comparisons made on Youtube (and elsewhere) since I joined the team 7 years ago, and to be honest it's often an honor for us to be compared to some of the greats in the historic RTS gaming genre ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Palaiogos said:

I thought the question is: what are the technical differences between the 2 engines? Like what are things Bang can do that Pyrogenesis cannot, and vice versa?

Is valid too.

• both have particle(effect)  feature.
  • BANG! engine allow modification of the environment/terrain while playing (the meteor shower actually make crater in the ground and modifie the terrain).
  • BANG! engine that was a complete C-syntax Algol-like programming language, including variables and functions.( I'm not sure if are similar to us.
  • light bloom ( both engines)

we have light blooms and streaking, we have projected shadows, and we have real-time physics. We also had to deal with a lot of situations unique to an RTS game

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/03/23/aoe-iii-interview

http://procedural-generation.tumblr.com/post/135473164191/age-of-mythology-when-ensemble-studios-made-their

Edited by Lion.Kanzen