More Factions Please!

sauerkrautpie

3 hours ago, Desophaeus said:

All of this talk about campaigns and their need for more factions, you guys are forgetting about the map settings.

Campaigns doesn't require the devs team inserting an additional faction. It's plausible that a map could have a pre-existing Greek faction tweaked to suit the specific scenario for a battle, and then another instance of the same Greek tweaked in a different way to reflect on the differing city-states for a different player/AI slot to occupy.

Adding Thebans wouldn't help the mix of factions we have now.

Still not understand your suggestion. 

• Like 1

@Lion.Kanzen
Let's just put it this way: "0 A.D. has too many 'redundant' factions. It's becoming a waste of space for more diversity."

5 Greek factions (3 Native and 2 Hellenized), and 2 Celtic Factions. Now you're considering another Greek Faction (Thebans)?

I personally have no problem with the current setup since this is where I learned about the diversity of the Greek City-states (starting from Spartan Hoplites, Athenian Navy, and Macedonian Foot Companions). So the redundancy didn't really catch on to me except for the too subtle differences in the architectural styles (I can't be bothered squinting my eyes on each faction's doric, ionic, and corinthian order of the buildings' columns... even if I like it. Good thing the Civic Centers have a much more obvious difference).

But I think the debate is only falling into two categories:
Add factions ASAP, or a little bit later?
Add distinct factions, or diversify already-existing ones?

If you Aimé for more relevant true factions around Mediterranean this my list.

1-Scythians

2-Numidians

3- Pontus Kingdom 

4- Thracians

5-Illyrians

6- Italiotes 

7- Teutons (with Cimbri) s ( early Germans in 0A.D).

8- Bactrians

9- Getae 

the other must be minifaction.

That phrase is absurdly "waste room form diversity". That guys really believe the room of faction will be limited?

that decision make because we're easy to implement. Split faction or not if they  didn't  split the faction what happen?

simply less factions in the rooster. LoL.

there was the desicion was made. 

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

6 hours ago, Palaiogos said:

Wait, slightly off topic, but can someone explain to me why we did not want to include the Epeirotes in this game? I think they should be a part of the game, as they were relevant to Rome's rise and the fall of the Hellenes.

Because this.

Inflexibility is just the temporary solution while the game is in Alpha. It's the team's firm decision not to add any faction until the game reaches Beta phase.

10 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Because this

No, feneur said this:

If anything it's the opposite I'd say, it's during the Alpha phase we can afford to be flexible. That said I would say that it is (i.e. at the moment, and depending on the people in the team and current opinions) the team's decision not to add any more factions for part one at all. But as with everything else it could change at a later date.

On 2017-02-28 at 8:11 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Yes Feneur said ever that, the team changes by the time, nothing is written in a stone.(nothing is absolute)

Well, the important part in reply to your comment was that if something as big as adding a new civilization is done it should not be done during the Beta phase but before it. I guess it would be one thing to add a well-developed faction from a mod in one of the first Beta releases, but certainly not to add a completely new faction during the Beta phase, and even if it's already developed in mod form I don't think it would be a good idea to add something during the Beta phase at all.

• Like 4

Well, still something missing here . You can't let it with mods, it's too early for leaving necessary things to mods. Especially in Alpha version, if there is a time, thats the time. 

I didn't mean new Greek factions or new Barbarian factions. We think the game's geography, we miss many factions like Scythians (or you can call Sarmatians, mostly same people), Numidians, China. Okay we didn't add China, but where are Scythians and Numidians? 

W0Z654.png 

As you can see, its from 500BC, there is Sarmatians, Berbers. Now we go fall of Empire of Alexander : 

M0yPNk.png

Also there is great civilizations like Armenia or Pontus. In a nutshell : At least you must add different cultures and civilizations. I say as a fan of this game, i am really bored. This factions i said, plays important roles in Rise of Roman Empire. 

I repeat it : It is too early for proposing mods! 

20 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Sarmatians and Scythians aren't same people.

Not same but their cultures are very very likes each other. And there is no Turkic-Persian culture in game, so one of them will be good. Also, why don't you add Armenia? Armenians are important civilization, they like Persians in culture topic

@sauerkrautpie I do agree with the need for more factions. The Helleno- centrism of the current game is a little too much. For some classicists, there is no need to go beyond the Mediterranean, but that just leaves all the rest of us wanting for more. There were indeed other powerful and relevant states, which would fit nicely in the current game. I don't think any faction should be removed though. Even if the team is able to add the Thebans (another Hellenic civ), I wouldn't object, as long as other more unique factions are also added. The Kingdom of Dacia for example, could represent both Dacia and Thrace, and would be a nice addition.

Maybe you'd care to check out this topic on the Kingdom of Kush, that I started several weeks ago. We've been working on a mod for the Kushites, a Sudanese Kingdom/Empire that fought wars with the Egyptians, Persians, Ptolemies and Romans. They're unique in terms of architecture, units, clothes… @LordGood has already done some really nice modeling work on buildings (houses, tower, barracks, drop-site, farm). You could get an idea of the minimum necessities for adding a civ (including information gathering). You can also contribute to this end. With hard work and dedication, maybe one day the Kushites can be added to the main game, but before that can even be discussed, we need to finish them first, and that will take a lot of work, as with any faction you'd consider adding. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, niektb said:

Hmm, I think Olmecs are a bit on the early side in our timeframe.

Also, how different are they from the Zapotecs? I think most people want to see factions from other cultures first that are completely different (you know, scythians or something)

The other culture the fans in my page ask are some Andinian from  Peru , Bolivia or Chile.

IMO factions that did not make war with each others should stay in the Mods. It maybe interesting to pit different factions from different worlds but just for fun or how could each faction fare against each other if they clash. I just couldn't imagine how the the Chinese could fight the Mayans and the factions from Europe. This is one of the reasons a lot of players commenting in some RTS games that why would Nations clash in a game when they never fought each other?! 

That's why I only play factions  that I think did war or any conflict with each other. I'm not good in history so sometimes I just group other factions that did not war each other into one team. 

Hope the Spartan Spartiates issue which could be produced by allies be implemented soon. And whether the Spartan ally is in the least difficulty its ally could still produce it. 

13 minutes ago, Servo said:

That's why I only play factions  that I think did war or any conflict with each other. I'm not good in history so sometimes I just group other factions that did not war each other into one team. 

Hope the Spartan Spartiates issue which could be produced by allies be implemented soon. And whether the Spartan ally is in the least difficulty its ally could still produce it. 

That's is great but the people wants experiment , play with new stuff. Mostly of requerimientos in this forums are , more faction, we want more factions.