Enemy Teleporting?

bogs

I found something unusual going on, apparently the enemy civ (single player match) found a 'hole' in the map, and after forming up troops, magically appears just inside my cities area. I took some screens of it, but can't determine what else would be needed to help you out. I found nothing like it in the report tracking, but I also couldn't think of other ways it might be described(?)

EnemyStagedBeforeAppearing2_2017-02-19_11-57-19.png

EnemyPopsInAtCastle_2017-02-19_12-00-36.png

MatchAndMap_2017-02-19_12-02-11.png

temp.0adsave

Extending a bit, the idea of that map is to get rekt by gaia enemy waves that are spawned all 2-3min there while building up with taking treasures in the middle that spawn all 4 minutes. It's also explained by the on-screen text notification at the beginning.

A number of things are proposed to be added on that map in:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3102

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D145

Specifically with regards to your issue of those units appearing unexpectedly out of the blue, we (the players of that map) were wondering whether we could make the spawn points more obvious, for example with a big cross on the floor. But such a cross still woudln't indicate that enemies are coming from right there. Perhaps they could spawn behind a gate or something, but that might not work with 400 attackers. Ideas welcome.

First of all, thank you for all the responses, it makes a newbie feel welcomed !

9 hours ago, sphyrth said:

Could that be replicated in Alpha 21?

I really couldn't say, the version I used first was 15 on Lin.Mint 17. This version is 20.1 (Lin.Mint 18).

8 hours ago, elexis said:

Read the map description

Thank you, this was extremely helpful ! The way I've been playing the game was to have the maps chosen randomly, along with my AI opponent, I wasn't aware they had descriptions. Of course, going to the map manually, I now see this:

DescriptionOfMap.png

My bad, I've never manually chosen anything in starting the game, I had not guessed about this part of the game.

2 hours ago, elexis said:

Extending a bit, the idea of that map is to get rekt by gaia enemy waves that are spawned all 2-3min there while building up with taking treasures in the middle that spawn all 4 minutes. It's also explained by the on-screen text notification at the beginning.

A number of things are proposed to be added on that map in:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/3102

https://code.wildfiregames.com/D145

Specifically with regards to your issue of those units appearing unexpectedly out of the blue, we (the players of that map) were wondering whether we could make the spawn points more obvious, for example with a big cross on the floor. But such a cross still woudln't indicate that enemies are coming from right there. Perhaps they could spawn behind a gate or something, but that might not work with 400 attackers. Ideas welcome.

I read your post carefully, and did go to the two links you posted. I can't guarantee I understood all of it, but I did get that it is an intended part of the game. I must admit I never saw the on-screen note your talking about? but I am guessing I was probably distracted at the time.

Thank you so much for the fuller explanation of what is going on, I will certainly try to be more diligent before posting in the future ;)

• Like 1

> going to the map manually, I now see this

There is also the objectives window showing the map description if you click on the scroll icon in the top panel.

> never saw the on-screen note

At the beginning of the match, it should say "First wave attacks in 10 minutes" for that period

> spawn points more obvious

How about adding two indestructable, garrisoned wooden towers? The arrows being shot immediately indicate danger

2 hours ago, elexis said:

> going to the map manually, I now see this

There is also the objectives window showing the map description if you click on the scroll icon in the top panel.

> never saw the on-screen note

At the beginning of the match, it should say "First wave attacks in 10 minutes" for that period

> spawn points more obvious

How about adding two indestructable, garrisoned wooden towers? The arrows being shot immediately indicate danger

Again, extremely helpful, I never knew there was such a thing as indestructable towers of any kind. The beginning note I didn't see is, likely, because I was multitasking while waiting for the game to load, something I do often as I am usually playing the game as a distraction while doing something else.

In the future since I know this is now a possibility, I will check for, um, 'oddities' in the descriptions of things before reporting things I find strange ;)

Centurio, I may well update at some point, but I find sometimes I actually prefer regression to progression. For instance, in 15, units could destroy buildings, which I found interestingly enough, nice. The point of converting a building isn't lost on me, but having that building revert or destroy itself if you don't leave it garrisoned is something I'm trying to come to terms with.

I did read a lot of the discussion about that change, and I certainly understand (to a point) the arguments in favor of it. Of course, any oddities I found in much older builds I would never think to report, since they are of course long ago consigned to history of developement :)

Main Menu -> Learn How to Play -> Manual lists all hotkeys present in the game

Indestructable towers were just an idea, but not present in the game currently (The treasure seeking woman is invincible though). Lobby players favored the idea of only having a banner / waypoint flag at the spawn point, so not adding the tower :-/