Play with no opponent

buster987

I very much enjoy building a little civilization but don't like the war/fighting aspect so much.

Can I play 0ad alone?  With no other team/opponent/enemy?   I wouldn't mind building along side someone else on the map...might be nice to visit them!   But without the need to worry about dying all the time.

Thanks
mike

If you want to keep an opponent on the map to fight eventually you can set the AI difficulty to Sandbox (then it will not attack you). I think you could do that, and then set the victory condition to Wonder and you could still win the game when you want without having to fight (though I'm not 100% sure the AI won't build a wonder eventually, someone else will have to tell you about that).

If you just want to build and don't worry about another player (and don't care about winning after you've built up your civilization), just use the developer controls (Alt+D to bring up), select Reveal Map, then Control all units, and then delete all the opponents units. That will give you a win dialog, but you can just select no and continue building as much as you like (I don't know how well it works with saved games, but at least for a single play session it should work fine, and there's no harm in testing -- apart from lost time I guess).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeta1127 said:

Isn't there also a sandbox mode for Petra that prevents the AI from doing much of anything?

Unless I'm mistaken that means that the AI will build up its civilization, but will not set out to attack you. Any units you send near it will still be attacked though.

On 2/22/2017 at 6:00 AM, feneur said:

Just realized there is the option to, if you choose to play on a random map, choose to only have one player on the map, yourself.

Not all maps allow this I think.  I tried picking a map but didn't see a means to change the number of players at all.  Maybe I'm looking right past it?

1 hour ago, buster987 said:

Not all maps allow this I think.  I tried picking a map but didn't see a means to change the number of players at all.  Maybe I'm looking right past it?

It's only for random maps, change the first dropdown list (Map type) to be random rather than scenario or skirmish (These maps are handmade, so they come with the players they were made to feature. Random maps are put together by the game from a script and based on the settings you choose, so they are more flexible.)

9 hours ago, buster987 said:

I was building away on my city and some dudes came over the hill and attacked me....not sure what else to say about it.

That should not be possible if there is no AI assigned. Did you set every AI player to unassigned? Also, when changing the map settings (number of players, etc.) I've noticed that the AI difficultly is often reset to medium; it's best to set the AI difficultly after choosing all other settings, or to just double check right before starting a match. (I'm not sure which options reset the AI difficulty when changed.)

That will be an uneventful match as the AI will not build or train anything. They will only fight back with the nine or so starting units if you get too close. It's good for city-building though.

Edited by WhiteTreePaladin

Am I missing something or couldn't you just do what I always end up doing these days ... setting the team of yourself and the AI to the same team (ie: Team 1) - I normally end up doing this w/ 3 AIs (but mainly for research purposes as I am studying dynamic planning).  But I think what I am waiting for is the DiplomacyManager to improve (so that it will give you a reason to end up in war and begin fighting - but also shift to Neutral / Ally).

So I think you could just set yourself and AI to same team and in the Options panel select "Teams Locked" (instead of default Last Man Standing) and you will be in co-op w/ AI.