Mauryan archer on elephant

Feldfeld

Why a mauryan player would make them ? Compared to horse archers from other civs, this unit is way slower despite having almost the same stats.

They got a little HP bonus but it is clearly not enough to make them worth it. Not only they are slow, but they can't be as massed as other horse archers because they're elephants and take more place. So their pathfinding is also difficult, and that makes them really weak against spearmen, or if they want to retreat it's also tricky anyway. They also can't collect ressources. No wonder i never see them in pro games. Also, I guess the "go berserk" in description is not implemented.

Will they be buffed in next alpha ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sphyrth said:

I thought that they were significantly faster than your usual cavalry.

If you speak about rate of fire, it is the same as others horse archers.

3 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

I can see some reason: for example if someone has only elephant stables :P

In previous releases it was the same unit as other cavalry archers.

EDIT: also many (most of) the people don't care too much about those little numbers things (more a stuff for lobby players) and will train the unit they want to see on the screen ;-)

Sure. My question wasn't well asked. 

I'm speaking about game balance so that's why i took the exemple of lobby players. To my mind they need a buff because they're clearly worse than horse archers from other civs.

12 minutes ago, Servo said:

Historically do they have unique abilities? I haven't played some civs except Greeks and Persian but noticed no horse archer can fire while moving like maybe Mongol horse archers?! Any civ who gets archer like this would become very interesting. 

Abilities aren't into the game.

Partian tactics aren't implemented yet.

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/2577

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

28 minutes ago, Feldfeld said:

We can also consider increasing their starting grade (instead of increasing base HP and armour, which still seem very logical to me), so they won't only be tank but also will deal more damage. It is just an idea.

this isn't a bad idea at all, by the way ranged units don't gain any attack damage more when they rank up, they gain range and maybe movement speed if i remember right. However, as any elephant unit, they have no techs aviable, making them even weaker for a phase 2 unit. I mean that in phase 2 blacksmith upgrades are aviable already, so, any civ with archer cavalry could potentially be in advantage already just unlocking 1 technology.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...