Hotkeys for buildings?

Simpa

2 minutes ago, Simpa said:

Hang on..has this game been under developemen for 4 years + and still not hotkeys for buildings?

Closer to ten years which is quite common for any open source project all programming is done by volunteers so only easy or sexy things get done quickly and there are usually few volunteers so lots of work to do at any time hotkey expansion is not a priority with so many other issues to deal with much higher priority.

Enjoy the Choice :)     

2 minutes ago, Loki1950 said:

Closer to ten years which is quite common for any open source project all programming is done by volunteers so only easy or sexy things get done quickly and there are usually few volunteers so lots of work to do at any time hotkey expansion is not a priority with so many other issues to deal with much higher priority.

Enjoy the Choice :)     

darn, that's a lot of time :) I appreciate the time you guys put down on the game but please put up hotkeys on your schedule. I love competitive gameplay and pretty hard to be fast clicking on every building.

I actually think that the biggest issue in this case is that there is a need to come up with good hotkeys, and that probably requires re-thinking some existing hotkeys etc, so it's not just implementing the actual hotkeys doing the action which is probably not very difficult.

• Like 1

We already have more hotkeys than keys on the keyboard, some are UNUSED. But it's a good thing, because it allows players to chose which keys they want to use. The hotkeys need to become configurable in a new GUI dialog though, as few people go as far changing their config files.

After that, we should indeed add hotkeys for specific buildings in my opinion. It should be possible to assign B to barracks without having to fallback to the group hotkeys which have to be reset manually every game. We have to decide which entities will be available though and how they are going to be linked. There are hundreds of units and buildings available, so likely many useless choices. Which identifier would we use (without adding custom identifiers making the code ugly)? How do we avoid distinguishing the civ specific differences (barracks should work for all civs.) One option would be using the Identity.Classes or Identity.VisibleClasses information, but that also contains useless choices, like Village (for all village phase buildings) for example. Seems like we have to add a custom (sub)set of identifiers :/

• Like 2

4 hours ago, niektb said:

rotating the camera is not necessary

Not for me. I often prefer to align myself at the bottom of the map so that I can expand "upwards". I've also seen at least two Youtubers who like looking at the front of the buildings. Not to mention that there are maps (the ones with mountains for example) that kind of forces you to rotate the camera just to plunk down a building nicely without blocking your view.

• Like 1