0 A.D not using GPU properly

Potato

I have a i5 2500, 8gb ddr3 ram and a gtx 660.

I'm running a single player game with 3 bots on medium on the map Amazon (set to giant), when playing the game i get very low fps as in 3-5 but if i go to the options menu (while still running the game) i will get about 50-60.  But when in game I use about 5-10% gpu (I have a gtx660) and when in menu I use about 50-60% gpu. the whole time my cpu usage is around 30-50%.

I'm also running multiple Firefox tabs, Steam and Discord.

Help would be greatly appreciated. and if this has already been answered I'm sorry, I looked through the Forums and couldn't find anything.

Also I asked on your IRC but nobody responded and I cant sit in an IRC all day.

Thanks, I didn't see that in the IRC, you must have posted it once I left. So since it only uses 1 thread/ core my GPU is being bottle necked, if so that makes a lot of sense thank you again. I assume multi threaded/ core support will come eventually? although aren't you using an old engine, so is that possible?

Thanks
Potato

edit: just wanted to ask if using maps that didn't have any water would result in better performance or not, if not what is the best way to improve performance? I cant overclock to get the better single core performance (non-k), what should I do? also you probably don't need help with anything but maybe if you have computer issues or something I could try help with advice, as I want to help this project somehow but I am not a very good artist and do not know much programming, I could do multiplayer testing maybe? I have multiple other computers that are a few years old.

Thanks Again

Edited by Potato
wanted to ask about performance without starting another post

What is actually consuming each frame is pathfinding so the fewer number of movable units on the map the better try using a low population limit and the engine is entirely coded by the community.Multi  threading will come but slowly as it requires a complete re-factoring of the code base(thousands of lines) it's not a sexy task so most volunteers avoid it,the final result may be sexy but not the actual coding ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)   

2 hours ago, Potato said:

Thanks, I didn't see that in the IRC, you must have posted it once I left. So since it only uses 1 thread/ core my GPU is being bottle necked, if so that makes a lot of sense thank you again. I assume multi threaded/ core support will come eventually? although aren't you using an old engine, so is that possible?

Thanks
Potato

edit: just wanted to ask if using maps that didn't have any water would result in better performance or not, if not what is the best way to improve performance? I cant overclock to get the better single core performance (non-k), what should I do? also you probably don't need help with anything but maybe if you have computer issues or something I could try help with advice, as I want to help this project somehow but I am not a very good artist and do not know much programming, I could do multiplayer testing maybe? I have multiple other computers that are a few years old.

Thanks Again

Thank you Loki1950, I'm sorry but whatever coding and programming the pyrogenisis engine uses unless its very basic HTML then I will have next to nothing experience with it, so I wouldn't end up being able to help in that area though I would like to. If you need 0 A.D tested on different computers and Operating Systems I can run Virtual Machines but also a couple of Intel core 2 quad and duo machines as well as a computer that i hope to eventually run windows 95 on. If you can think of a way I can help, I will try if I can.

Also do I understand this right, that you have a desktop computer running Linux Mint 64 bit and an Acer laptop running windows 7 32 bit?

edit: realised that that is your monitor, if you are dual booting Linux Mint 64 bit with Windows 7 32 bit then you will have problems with your 8gb ram on Windows 7 as 32 bit operating systems only use up to 4gb of ram, meaning that it will ignore the other 4gb's making them useless when you run win 7 32 bit.

Edited by Potato
realised that acer S243HL K222HQL is a monitor

I haven't updated my sig in a while it's a HP Envy now dual booting Mint 18.0/Win10 both 64 bit with that 8GB ramB) most of the modding is actually done in JavaScript with all the heavy lifting C++ though getting 0AD to run with W95 might be tough the newer libraries(dll's in windows land) and all.And it's dual monitors great for working in blender(blender main/tutorial video secondary).You might find VM's not worth the effort for any game the graphics pipeline of VM's is not wide.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I've done a bit of blender before, I know what C++ is but never used it. I thought that this was an old engine that was constantly updated hmm. So I suppose you are right about the VM's and win95. What kind of java script are you using and what are you using it for? ( I still don't know JS though). But maybe I could help with blender? (very simple objects of course) and what do you use for textures?

uh I uploaded what I made a couple of years ago, don't laugh I know its only okay. would you like to implement my tie fighter into the game? I'm pretty sure the Athenian engineers were researching them back then.

tie fighter.mtl

tie fighter.obj

tie fighter.fbx

11 hours ago, Potato said:

I have a i5 2500, 8gb ddr3 ram and a gtx 660.

I'm running a single player game with 3 bots on medium on the map Amazon (set to giant), when playing the game i get very low fps as in 3-5 but if i go to the options menu (while still running the game) i will get about 50-60.  But when in game I use about 5-10% gpu (I have a gtx660) and when in menu I use about 50-60% gpu. the whole time my cpu usage is around 30-50%.

I'm also running multiple Firefox tabs, Steam and Discord.

Help would be greatly appreciated. and if this has already been answered I'm sorry, I looked through the Forums and couldn't find anything.

Also I asked on your IRC but nobody responded and I cant sit in an IRC all day.

The reason why the game is getting a higher framerate in the menu is because the game (simulation) will be paused while the menu is open in single-player mode. This means that the game can use all your CPU resources to render the game.

3 hours ago, Potato said:

What kind of java script are you using and what are you using it for? ( I still don't know JS though).

But maybe I could help with blender? (very simple objects of course) and what do you use for textures?

We use the SpiderMonkey engine (the same JS engine that firefox uses), and the majority of the game logic is written in JS (the user interface, the AI, ...). It is used because using C++ is more time consuming and difficult. If you want to contribute to art, it is a good idea to check out the art forums.

EDIT: regarding multi-threading, multi-threading the pathfinder is being worked on by @wraitii

Edited by echotangoecho
  • Like 1