The Kingdom of Kush: A proper introduction [Illustrated]

Sundiata

Anybody willing to contribute by translating it in any other language? How about a Slavic language, such as Belarusian, Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovenian, Bulgarian, Macedonian? Chinese and Japanese would be nice too.

17 minutes ago, niektb said:

IMHO I think it would better to first bother about creating something (that's worth) to translate before bothering about finding translators :) (though taking into account that the mod might be translated in the future isn't bad)

Believe me, the people wants their "Vikings" translated.

I think because most people here only have a limited amount of time to spend on this, by all means, if they feel they can make a contribution now, I think they should just do it when they have that time, even if it may only become relevant or useful later on. We just need to try to keep serious track of what has already been done, and what really needs doing.

Personally, I'm currently working full-time, just became uncle/god-father, have limited time before I go back to Ghana, and need to get so many things unrelated to 0 A.D. done, which really drain the amount of time I can spend on this [awesome] project. So anytime someone offers their help, opinion or contribution to this mod, however big or small, I get really excited :) Thank you @fabio and @Lion.Kanzen for your participation :) 

When I find some time, I will be providing a complete preliminary unit roster, as well as necessary lists of building and unit props.

On a side note, the homepage for Microsoft's Bing search engine features a beautiful new image everyday. On  25 / 05 / 2017, this image was a photograph of the Begrawiya Royal Necropolis at Meroe. A beautiful illustration of this history, slowly becoming part of the mainstream historical canon.

593b2835a194b_ScreenShot2017-05-25at16_00_59.thumb.png.76e98d561ba230bdc38c3e62319673df.png    

• Like 2

I agree with @Sundiata every contribution is valuable. Furthermore, I disagree with @niektb, because the reasons to translate the description before we even have the mod has a very simple motivation: attention. I want that people of all ages and background can understand what the Kushites Mod repository is about. Hopefully some of them will be interested in playing or even contributing to the modification.

32 minutes ago, balduin said:

I agree with @Sundiata every contribution is valuable. Furthermore, I disagree with @niektb, because the reasons to translate the description before we even have the mod has a very simple motivation: attention. I want that people of all ages and background can understand what the Kushites Mod repository is about. Hopefully some of them will be interested in playing or even contributing to the modification.

The repository only?

@balduin: of course you're free to set up a translation framework and trying to find people for that but I assure you that the best way to attract attention and contributors is by showing off that you can deliver quality content... There are so many startup mods/games that are trying to find people (go browse ModDB for instance and see how many unreleased mods there are), why would they feel attracted to contribute if you haven't produced anything except research documents? (but hey, that's just my advice, dismiss it if you have a different opinion :) )

@niektb In my opinion you over dramatize the translation of one single sentence. What we translated was: "The Kushite Mod introduces a brand new civilization to the Open Source real time strategy game: 0 A.D.". @Sundiata and I already translated that sentence in a few languages, simply because we can. @Lion.Kanzen and @fabio added two others. We write those translations into the README.md file and have above each translation the ISO 639-1 two letter language code. As you can see we are far away from setting up a translation framework.

I understand your point about the quality content. Doing the research is the first step to produce high quality content. However, we need people which will do the 3D models and sound, because neither @Sundiata nor I have those skills. But we want to offer artists information on what those models should/could look like. We want to make sure that artists and others can make small or big contributions depending on how much time they have. To get to the point we need to do research and structure the research results.  Additionally, we have to create a road map, define tasks, create a list of buildings and props we need. Both @Sundiata and I are working on those parts.

We are not trying to show off, but we are trying to keep in touch with the 0 A.D. community as well as communicating what we do or did to those who are interested. We do this through this forum topic and the Github repository. That is the necessary project management overhead.

• 4 weeks later...

Blue_Nile_Nomads.png

In the land of the Kushites, near the Blue Nile in Africa...

Your attempt at colonizing the area has been a disaster. On the brink of starvation, your colonists find themselves stranded with meager supplies in the middle of a salt flat. Pack up what you can and try to find a suitable place to colonize closer to fresh water and natural resources before it's too late.

Notes for Game Host: Start the map on a low resource setting and with some kind of ceasefire.

• Like 5

http://www.historytoday.com/raoul-mclaughlin/desert-legions-romans-africa

This article makes it clear that any scenarios or campaigns for the Kushites could involve at least 3 other factions already in the game. That's definitely a big item for the pro column.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1