===[COMMITTED]=== Mercenary Thureos Skirmisher portraits

fatherbushido

Actually, the portrait is committed. The templates just need updated to point to the new and correct portraits. Also, some multiple unit can use the same portrait, so look for that too.

I will go through the portraits tomorrow in the Public mod and  make sure the units are the right color.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

Ok! I will edit some templates.

Else I don't see portraits for Ptolemaic Mercenary Thureos Skirmisher (nor in DE github, nor in current svn). That one in green could be nice mace_infantry_javelinist.png

ah okay, the current public actor for this unit is using the mace infantry javelinist still? I might just mod the unit actor for more accuracy first before making the portrait and submit both here or to @Enrique.

• Like 1

@fatherbushido @Enrique

infantry_javelinist_b.xml

infantry_javelinist_e.xml

infantry_javelinist_a.xml

ptol_infantry_javelinist_merc.png

<Icon>units/ptol_infantry_javelinist_merc.png</Icon>

The thureophoroi (singular: thureophoros) were a type of infantry soldier, common in the 3rd to 1st century BCE, who carried a large oval shield called a thureos which had a type of metal strip boss and a central spine. They were armed with a long thrusting spear, javelins and a sword. They also usually wore an iron or bronze Macedonian helmet. The thureos was probably originally an adapted form of a Celtic shield. Thracian and Illyrian infantry probably adopted the shield before the Greeks. However it has been suggested that the thureos was brought to Greece after Pyrrhus of Epirus' campaigns in Italy, as his Oscan allies and Roman enemies used the scutum. Thureophoroi were a 3rd century development on the Peltast and wore no body armor, but did wear sturdy leather boots for quick movement. Thureophoroi could skirmish, as well as fight in a phalanx when necessary. They were often stationed on the flanks of the traditional pike phalanx as a flexible link between the heavier pikemen and the cavalry wings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elexis said:

(Aren't the green cloths in portrait a bit bright and oversaturated? Can't imagine cloths with that tone 2000 years ago. Looks good otherwise. Also wondering if the eagle symbol would have been put there if it were crossed by some thing on top it on the shield.)

Color not for realism, color for quick unit identification in UI. ;) :thumbup:

unit_portraits_colors.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, fatherbushido said:

@wowgetoffyourcellphone:

in DE, the Mauritanian archer (Cart) is a mercenary. Currently it isn't in public mod.

Do you feel it more a mercenary? Else could you provide us a blue version?

And the same for the Judean slingers (Ptol).

This is what I need, thanks. Minor oversights.