Play against a random civilization

balduin

0 A.D. allows to let you play against a "Random" or a specific civilization. The "Random" option selects a enemy civilization (or your own), but you can ending up playing against the same civilization. It would be nice to have an option which allows to select "Random" civilization to play against which is not already selected by any other party. The goal is to have only "Unique" civics in a round. The option should maybe be called "Unique" or "Unique Random".

I'd prefer a civilization selection screen like https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19724-design-civillization-name/&do=findComment&comment=305418
allowing to chose multiple civilizations to be selected (one of them then chosen randomly).

Also giving the option of using a random civilization but not use the same civilization twice will require checks every time one player selects/deselects a civilization for some combinations will simply make chosing unique civilizations impossible (like all 4 players in a game select the same 3 civilizations to draw from). While this still is possible players civilization choices will interfer with other players likelyhood of getting a specific civilization which is IMO unwanted.

Another option would be to make it a game wide setting to only use random civilizations and try to avoid duplication.

However, to many settings for the game (for all players in that game) will make it harder to agree on game settings in a multiplayer game - which also should be considered.

In general I like that idea @balduin just that I like the "random from a preselected set" idea more ;)

• Like 1

I like the idea to choose randomly from a "preselected set". It is a great idea. You are right, mixing my "random unique" idea the the "random from a preseletected set" idea would crate conflicts. That is exactly the reason why I would not mix them. Instead I would offer "Random", "Random unique" and "Random from a preselected set". If you select "Random unique" the computer selects civics which are not already in the selected civic pool. This would always work, because the largest maps allow up to 6 players but there are 12 civics to choose from.

Let me explain the motivation I have regarding each option:

• "Random" - I have no idea what I want just select one and let my start the game
  • "Random unique" - I selected my civic, but I want to have any opponent
  • "Random from preseletected set" - I know which category I want to play against, but I can not decide which one of them to play.
  • Like 1

The current start game screen allows you to adjust settings fast by staying in the same window. The proposed choose fraction model window (popup) could change that and make the setting process of the start screen more lengthy, which could negatively affect the usability and user experience. However, being able to select by name and icon (shields) + the history information box is an big improvement for the usability and user experience.

choose-fractions.jpg