AI

balduin

The AI made a lot of progress from Alpha 20 to 21. Respect the AI is now kind of intelligent and very strong. It is now one of the best AI's I have seen in strategy game. But the problem with the AI is still that they show specific patterns and uses the same paths and tactics. In addition the AI on level medium and higher is faster in building economics, army and attacks very fast. The problem is the AI does not change their behavior once you are able to defend yourself the AI will run over and over into your towers, walls and other positions.

It would be nice if the fighting style of the different AI levels would differ. I would for example expect that AI level medium and hard would train more elite soldiers and make more use of siege engines.

Furthermore it would be nice to have AI characters. Stronghold for example has a couple of characters each of which has their own fighting style. Using this basic idea in 0 A.D. could mean to have:

- the Petra AI (attacks fast with a medium size army)

- the Bandit (who attacks constantly with small cavalry/infantry your weakest points with the goal to disrupt your economy and kill your citizen)

- the Economist (defensive, but has a lot of money and resources. He can easily replace any loss of him or his ally.)

- the General (takes time to attack, but if he attacks he attacks with a large army)

- the Lord (defensive player, which builds a castle and tower to defend his position)

What is your opinion on that?

• Like 2

I'm not an AI dev at all, but I'm following development a bit. There is some existing code about personality traits iirc (for example degree of agressiveness) and plans / ticket to extend to such characters that were suggested above.

The "lure the bot into your towers" phenomenon is a classic that is considered we are well aware of. It's not always easy to fix things in a performance efficient way, we have to check so many things as an AI.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The game is running really well for me but yeah AI should be more challenging. I like it to have a behavior of a methodical attack like an organized sieging with formation/s. Hope they can march in a very nice manner towards their target as one said like in Stronghold. They should attack nearby enemy unit instead of chasing the one unit who attack them initially. They only respond to attack if you totally block their way. In most game I press control then move so that my units will move to a location and fight any enemy units in their line of sight along the way.  The AI should behave the same thing. They should stop chasing if it's beyond their line of sight and go back. I've seen this in some PC games.

They should be able to save some units during a failed attack. If humans can have monks why the AI can't produce?!

Their attack shouldn't be distracted by some raid or harassment that their whole attacking armies will go back just to defend a simple raid. This is the worst AI behavior. 

The AIs waypoint is not good either. One time their massive army marches but noticed the lack of siege weapons and cavalry. I found out they are trying to go through a high rock maybe to avoid my advanced towers firing. Five siege rams and didn't see another 5 cavalry until I killed the 3 rams with my cavalry. Pulled out and they are still stuck. Came back with another set of cavalry and took out two more rams and then/there his cavalry broke through.