AI DiplomacyManager

jonbaer

In a situation where you are playing Last Man Standing w/ 1 human and 3 AI there is a break in DiplomacyManager which seems to do some pretty interesting things (or so I thought) ... the responses are listed below but much of this code seems to be just placeholder on events.DiplomacyChanged.  Being super interested in this aspect of the game I failed to find any previous discussion on it or subsequent development logs from git.  Is there one developer working on this or are these primarily for canned multiplayer responses and not for AI use?

answerAllyRequestMessages:

• I cannot accept your offer to be allies %(_player_)s.
  • I will not ally with you %(_player_)s, but I will consider a neutrality pact.
  • %(_player_)s, our previous alliance did not work out, so I must decline your offer.
  • I will accept your offer to become allies %(_player_)s. We will both benefit from this alliance.
  • I will ally with you %(_player_)s, but only if you send me a tribute of %(_amount_)s %(_resource_)s.
  • %(_player_)s, you must send me a tribute of %(_amount_)s %(_resource_)s for me to accept an alliance.
  • %(_player_)s, my offer still stands. I will ally with you if you send me a tribute of %(_amount_)s %(_resource_)s.

Might want to give those scripts some flavor in it.

I can't just let a rag-tag commander as an ally, %(_player_)s.

If you're really that desperate for an alliance, %(_player_)s, offer me (%_amount_)s% (_resource_).

Allies? Pfft. You can't even make a successful one last time!

No alliances with you, %(_player_)s. Get rekt!

21 minutes ago, sphyrth said:

That would be very funny, but that's exactly the kind of AI scripts I'm looking for.
"Have my 2 stone, but don't take my soul!"

"I'll be raiding (player X). You coming or what?"

There are a scenario in the primitive AoE I , is in Yamato campaing where the Ai ask for tribute or try to kill you.

the scenario is "Opression" 

so the ai say: "You traitorous  wretch!  Vengeance will be mine." When you change your stance to enemy.

when ask for tribute : Tribute 200 of gold or  will be destroyed.

after the tribute the ai says:  "you have made a wise choice-- together shall rule the world." 

• Like 1

Here are a few observations I have made when playing in this environment:

- Inside of the market when you obtain Cartography you can view resource counts / population - something pretty important on deciding best allies.

- When a random map starts (Alpine Lakes) for example, the geography layout can show who would be best allies.

- There might be another layout to the Diplomacy window which should list who is at war with who, this information is not clear at the moment.

- It would be great if you could "surrender" a structure to an ally or have the ability to build a true "embassy" type of situation where you could own/control territory inside of an ally, etc.

16 hours ago, jonbaer said:

- It would be great if you could "surrender" a structure to an ally or have the ability to build a true "embassy" type of situation where you could own/control territory inside of an ally, etc.

This is a good idea. But on the programming side, it could mess everything up. Alpha 21 had a Release Blocker that would make you train units that you you're not supposed to. In effect, you get to build things more than what your faction has.

> Inside of the market when you obtain Cartography you can view resource counts / population - something pretty important on deciding best allies.

Indeed, it's one of the most crucial elements in team gameplay already. Often players have 0 resources left of some type while allies are drowning in that resource. Communicating via chat is hard work. Even when a resource is short for all team members, they can more easily estimate whether they should send over even 100 resources of that type.

- There might be another layout to the Diplomacy window which should list who is at war with who, this information is not clear at the moment.

That isn't even clear if you're in observermode. Every player can have arbitrary diplomatic relatios to everyone else. Also the diplomatic stances aren't often applied. Sometimes there are enemies who act as friends by fighting the common foe. At other times there are allies building towers and fortresses close to the ally to prepare a preemptive strike.

The "giving buildings to an ally" part was ruled out, because it would allow cheating too easily and remove the territory restriction. There is a ticket for it.