===[TASK]===[SOUND]=== Contributing with sound design assets

tmm88

Greetings everyone

I am new to 0. A.D. community, but I would like to contribute to it with sound design assets. I am interested in contributing to music content. The way I think I can be a most valuable resource, is by creating midi compositions, that could be used for such a kind of game, and either someone provides me with sample libraries to run my midi files throughout, or I send the midi files, and then the good ones, someone will run them throughout the game sample libraries. My name is Tiago, I am 28, I have been professional musician for about 15yrs+ and I am working on a certain amount of both open source audio related projects (I.e.: supercollider and sonic pi, where I helped out with the documentation), and I am now trying to get into opensource sound design for videogames (like open arena and this game). I have extensive experience with tools like Sibelius, Finale, Ableton, Logic, MaxMSP, CSound, Supercollider, Pure Data, Kyma (although I don't have one, reason why I stick to Integra Live), etc.

Looking forward, kind regards

Tiago

• Like 1

Hello @tmm88,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for volunteering. First things first, do you have any example of your work ? 

This thread should likely be in :

https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/forum/306-applications-and-contributions/

The application form is in the first post here:

About sound files we have the flac files in the art repository  there http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/audio

We use the Vorbis ogg format for in game music. So you can sample your midi yourself, I don't think we have a sampler elsewhere.

You might want to contact @OmriLahav by Personal Mail (He usually answers faster there) you'll need @feneur approval to do so.

Hope to see you stick around, and looking forward to hearing from you.

I have seen OmriLahav feedback on the given forum thread. he actually mentions that it's great when people can record the instruments themselves, but when that is not the case, he's happy to look into midi files and scores. regarding, your question, my sound portfolio is not currently very organized. but you can check some examples of scores I did in the summer in imslp.org. https://imslp.org/wiki/As_I_Look_Towards_the_Margin,_I_see_a_Glimmer..._(Morgado,_Tiago_Morais) this is an example of a piece in the style of steve reich/Terry Riley, which is not perhaps what we are looking for here. in some cases things may turn to work. and then I have another file, which is more like modern classical (or pop much with influences of XVII and XIX century classical music - so, baroque, and romantic music), which you can listen here http://imslp.org/wiki/Sorrow_(Morgado,_Tiago_Morais) both examples were written very spontaneously and quickly, and I think I can easily come up with scores in the style of what you care looking for the game, and sending them to OmriLahav, just like he point's out in the given mail. looking forward, cheers. tiago

20 minutes ago, niektb said:

@tmm88: I have a few (nothing expensive) sample libraries at my disposal which could help with sketching out your arrangements (and in a better way than the midi synth in your linked website :P )

Can be nice improve town bell sound and attack alert, and text messages sound and defeated player sound. THat is the main.