solid objects

imperium

First of all let me say one thing I've noticed very often, that is the possibility to cross the objects and even shields, for example, you do not know how many times I've seen a drive through a tree or another unit, it happened to see the units that have completely crossed the goods of the merchants, especially Roman and ellenico.E not only in fact, I'm not just talking about various objects and easily without significant ... but also shields ... I happened to see us all and towards the inland. Example ..ad: spears, swords, etc. not to mention the arrows that should be part of parades or otherwise blocked by the shield, but shows no signs of arrows embedded or other weapons ... more realism ... I do not tell you is like 2 ROME TW but the basics perlomeno.Buone holidays and best wishes to all.

• Like 1

0 A.D. detects collisions by testing for intersections of simple (square / circular) two-dimensional hitboxes. As seen int simulation/data/pathfinder.xml, we only have three different choices for the radius: 0.8 for infantry and cavalry, 4 for rams and 12 for ships. Since the length and width of the obstruction are identical, this won't work well for non-circular / non-square models like ships.

Visual models overlapping can be addressed by increasing the size of the obstruction of the particular unit. But that causes more annoying pathfinding situations where the unit can't pass forest or straits. In case where units are blocked by other movable units, those could be pushed away (for example infantry could evade rams).

Due to the current performance being already too bad to keep up with the attempted ingame time ("performancelag") when too many obstructions exist, adding more complex shapes is not accomplishable without major rewrites.

• Like 2

Ships and chariots are awful. For the first, the game could be designed in a "Aoe 3 style" (low numbers of ships, but powerful). I agree that siege engines maybe shouldn't have box.

I've been thinking about trees lately. If they don't have a collision box? (Don't know if Delenda Est already do that). Wouldn't be a important performance improvement? (specially on some maps). Cliffs should do the blocking pathing feature.

My Italian classes are working to understand this guy, but not for reply him.

He say: this thing is hard to explain in few words, the engine cant do the realistic physics.

@elexis he wants you explain ( I'm not sure)  in details why the engine can't.

---------

you understand Spanish? I can understand mostly Italian. 

------

yes I  mean Elleni (Hellenes/ Helenos)

Performance. The thing is lagging already, adding more checks will make it much worse.

Also every unit must have a hitbox, otherwise units will walk through things like ghosts. Perhaps the hitboxes could become significantly smaller (for siege engines and ships, like 4 -> 2.5 or something).