local multiplayer lan, lost connexion.

vigen

Hello,

On opensuse Leap 42.2    0ad 0.0.21-3.1   and  data file 0.0.21-12.1.

Both machines run under openSUSE Leap 42.2.

My son and I encounter a worry of loss of connection during a part of game in network local of 0ad
For long weeks we play without problems, and there, saved the connection is lost. Port 20595 is correctly configured, I restarted the router, even made a reset, the rj45 cables properly connected.
I confess I no longer know or give a head ....
The game launches correctly, the loading phase is longer on the client machine.
Ports are properly open
And we lose connection
No web browser in background or other bandwidth consuming software.
Just after the loading phase a message of loss of connection with a counter in seconds appears, but the connection is made again after 4/6 seconds. But after a few minutes of play, the connection of the client machine is lost, and the client leaves the game through network interruption.
Do you have a possible solution?
Thank you in advance,
Regards,

Vigen.

Hello
Thank you for reviewing my problem :)

We are in local, the client and host machine, are connected by the modem in DHCP gateway.
We go through an access type 192.168.x.x
For several weeks no problems, no update since, nothing.

This starts with errors in the connections to the ping.
Then, after a certain amount of time, the client machine is disconnected.

A member (very nice) on IRC brought me on the track of the AI.

On a map, without AI, that with my son as an opponent, I no longer have connection problems.

Do you have a track to explore?

Regards,

Vigen.

Capture_d'écran_de_2016-12-26_21-47-08.png

Hardware infos :)

hardware: host :  Intel Xeon CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 8x 3.8GHz Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-K Graphics Card: NVIDIA GT 720 ssd  16 Go de RAM

hardware client :AMD FX 6100 ssd intel 8GB of RAM

My son and I have more and more, until today, play without problems with several AIs, sometimes a few slowdowns, but this excellent game is always playable.

There, without any updates, either the game, or the operating system, this network problem arises.
I would be surprised if I could only play with two AIs and my son, a total of four players, on a map of "normal" size.

But as soon as the game loads, we have errors of bad connection that we did not have. The AI, therefore, is not theoretically, active?

Vigen.

We tried this solution also :)
The only functional one is to no longer use the AI, which is not really a solution. It is above all the suddenness of the thing that is surprising.
I just try with images Manjaro, with 0ad to install.
Exactly the same symptom.
I play a network to another game, no worries either.
I hope to find the problem, because 0ad remains my favorite game :)

Well if it's really the AI, then it must be a performance problem. If you have more than 5 FPS and if the game isn't freezing every few seconds briefly but only showing network issues, then I suspect that the AI consumes too much performance on the other computer. Indeed a smaller mapsize (at most "normal", better "medium"), a map with less trees, less population (at most 8x150, better 8x100), less AI players should significantly help. If it's obvious that it isn't a performance bottleneck, then I'd doublecheck that it isn't a network issue (you could for example keep a "ping <ip-address>" running in terminal while the game is running).

It is important to note that rejoining games with AIs doesn't work correclty (it will trigger an Out of sync error, players end up in different game states). So only play multiplayergames via IP if you're sure you won't disconnect.

Also you are welcome to play games in the lobby with human enemies if none of it helps.

First, thank you for this clear and precise answer.
This allows me to better understand how the game works.
Indeed, I have more than 5 FPS, some freeze are present when moving a large number of units, but it is really very light.
Both machines have a correct hardware profile with a minimum of 8GB of ram and fairly recent / powerful processors.

What is more surprising is the sudden character of the thing.
Indeed, until two days, we could play without problems.
Suddenly, without updating, be system or game, the problem appears.

As soon as I can, I would do a test with your recommendations.
I would like to follow up on this post, if you do not mind.
Regards,

Vigen.

Edited by vigen

If the code is inherently slow, the fastest CPU won't help. Most of the players have 100% workload on one core.

What you could try are replaying games (Menu -> Tools & Options -> Replays) and check whether the old games are still 'performance-lag'-free while the new replays do lag. In that case it were confirmed that it's a performance (not network) issue and that it can be determined with the gamesettings.

Hello.

After several tests it appears that under version 0.19 there are no problems that appears. Not one.
As soon as 0.21 is installed, problems reappear.

We will be absent a few days, but as soon as I return, I try your solution :)
Thanks again for everything.

Regards;

Vigen.

But did you rule out that it aren't the new maps? It is unexpected that the performance-heavy change would be introduced in Alpha 20 or 21, while Alpha 19 was the one with a performance sensitive change (new pathfinder). Perhaps @mimo also got some idea whether there was some change that could have influenced petras performance.

Hi, I see this thread only now.

Not clear for me what the connection between AI and network could be. If i understand correctly, your test without AI is only two human players, while when you play with AI, you have two human players + some (how many) AIs. But did you already tried with three or four human players?

As elexis said, you can always try to replay one of the games with lag on the slowest pc: currently all ai computations are done locally on each pc, with very small contribution to the network traffic. So if no lag on replay, the ai should not be guilty. If on the other side, you also have such huge lags, could you upload your replay here so that we can try to reproduce it.

Good evening :)
For us either, the link, AI, and network, was not "obvious".
However, after many hours of testing, it emerges that.
Version 0.19 is not a problem.
The 0.21, suddenly, and without any apparent reasons, update the system, or update the game (or this bug statement) loss of connection, when an ai is selected. We have not yet tried the web option, we only use the local network.
The two machines used, have sufficient material resources.
Regards.
Vigen.

4 hours ago, vigen said:

The 0.21, suddenly, and without any apparent reasons, update the system, or update the game

That maybe the cache finally clearing data from 0.19 and refreshing it with the proper data for 0.21 the next time you update the game might be a good idea to delete the older versions data from the cache which is what those who use the development branch do after a new build at least that is what is recommended ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)

Hello and happy new year 2017,

Unfortunately, this can not be the track. We have tried a more radical method.
A fresh installation of a manjaro linux on both stations.
5 Minutes after the launch of version 0.21 same problem.
The only solution, which is not one, is to stay on 0.19 for now.
Regards,

Vigen.

@vigen Can you try:

As elexis said, you can always try to replay one of the games with lag on the slowest pc: currently all ai computations are done locally on each pc, with very small contribution to the network traffic. So if no lag on replay, the ai should not be guilty. If on the other side, you also have such huge lags, could you upload your replay here so that we can try to reproduce it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday my son and I tried to run a multiplayer game and got the out of sync as well.

We connect over Internet - (fiber on my end, and I think on the other side as well. - I get up to 50Mbps down and last time I checked ~78Mbps up - officially its 50/50 Mbps).

Today we tested more structurally, with 2 AI, then one, then none.  Each time we get an out of sync warning right at the start, but then the odd thing happens.

I can see his soldiers walking around in my town (same team), he can see mine, until at some point it becomes obvious that updates from me to him
and vice versa are not catching up anymore.

I will try later on with a smaller map.

Edited by Irthen Magor