Introduction (Recording and languages opportunity)

TenLeftFingers

Hi,

I'm currently surrounded by Irish speakers (while I have a child in an Irish speaking school and know some of the teachers a little).

I also have friends in Greece (including language teachers) and other countries.

I worked as a musician/singer for ten years and have sold most recording equipment, but I have a Zoom H5 and good recording/editing software.

Let me know if I can help with voices.

• Like 3

Hi TenLeftFingers! Thanks for your interest.

It would be great to have your help on this topic, although plans are still a bit vague. We don't intent to use modern Irish but contributions to Greek would be appreciated.

I should post a number of updates about the unit voices soon (in a few weeks). Be sure that I'll ping you about it :)

Lion, ltms, thank you so much! Glad to hear you plan to use a more original Celtic language.

From Lion.Kanzen's link I see "Celts – Cyrmic – Basically Welsh, this is one of the only remaining Celtic tongues on the planet." and "Civilisations that do not need guides * Celts - kor.". If the issue is identifying the correct/most authentic language, I can talk to some academics about verifying authentic ancient Celtic. The native Irish speakers could possibly voice it then with direction. I could have several people do it to give you options. My sister worked with translators for some time so I will ask if she knows a few people that could give answers.

As for Greek, the plan is to visit there some time in mid-to-late 2017 and I can bring my microphone. I'll update the thread when I know the date :)

No pressure though, if you have a plan already then great. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may have the opportunity to record voices for iberian from basque people. The problem is I doubt we would have the necessary equipment to record with enough quality (I assume laptop mics and/or external cheap PC mics are just not enough), this cam be improved by software edition in some way or it's just mission impossible?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dade said:

I may have the opportunity to record voices for iberian from basque people. The problem is I doubt we would have the necessary equipment to record with enough quality (I assume laptop mics and/or external cheap PC mics are just not enough), this cam be improved by software edition in some way or it's just mission impossible?

That would be very nice! However yes, cheap PC mics are not enough and software edition won't help for this quality level. Do you know someone with some audio equipment, even something simple like a portable recorder? In the worst case, just record voices and it will be extremely helpful for other people trying to record hiqh quality ones. We would also be sure that the recorded sentences are proper Basque and we wouldn't worry about checking the quality of the translation itself :)

• Like 2

I have  this model.

IMG_3665.JPG

Beyerdynamic Opus 29S / Radio Shack 33-128: Another favorite. The just discontinued entry level Beyerdynamic. Replaced with the TG 30. For the last few years, the Opus 29S has been rebadged for Radio Shack as 33-128. Currently selling for $39.99. As the Opus, it sold for $49.99 and higher. I think it's a great deal. RS will run out of them soon. I'll be looking for them on clearance. Rugged construction. Beyerdynamic quality. Powder coated grill. Slightly metallic finish. 50 - 16,000 Hz frequency response. Compares to an SM57. Slightly hotter, with a comparatively flat frequency response curve. Comes with cord. 11.2 ounces...

Radio Shack stuff has become even worse, now that it's all made in China (Pyramid PA amps, etc.). Better products 25-30 years ago, when they were made in Japan and South Korea. I have a NIB American-made RS mic from 1971 arriving tomorrow (appears to be a Shure 568). The rebadged Beyerdynamic is the only good mic they have. The other one (33-3043) for the same price is crap. I'm thinking no one at his school would steal a mic with a Nady or RS label, but you never know. I had a RS 33-1070 stolen in the high school auditorium. I thought that was a little odd, given the fact there were several SM58's in close proximity. The school gave me $40. I put that towards a 58 that I owned for the next 27 years.

source about the info.

http://www.peavey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21597

I was lucky.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

http://www.performanceaudio.com/item/beyerdynamic-opus-29-s/20510/

Entry-level, dynamic microphone

Flat, wide range frequency response for uncoloured sound reproduction 

High gain-before-feedback

Excellent system isolation 

With On/Off switch 

Rugged construction (metal housing) 

Supplied with microphone clamp, XLR-XLR cable (5m) and touring bag

• Transducer type:  Dynamic
  • Operating principle: Pressure gradient 
  • Frequency response: : 
  • Close miking: 50 - 16,000 Hz
  • Distant miking (measured at 1 m): 100 - 14,000 Hz
  • Polar pattern:  Supercardioid
  • Rear attenuation at 1 kHz: > 15 dB at 125 
  • Open circuit voltage at 1 kHz: 2.4 mV/Pa
  • Nominal impedance: 600 Ω 
  • Load impedance: 1 kΩ 
  • Connection: 3-pin XLR male 
  • Dimensions: 
  • Length: 182 mm
  • Shaft diameter: 24/37 mm
  • Head diameter: 52 mm
  • Weight without cable: 320 g3
Edited by Lion.Kanzen

2 hours ago, Itms said:

record voices and it will be extremely helpful for other people trying to record hiqh quality ones. We would also be sure that the recorded sentences are proper Basque and we wouldn't worry about checking the quality of the translation itself :)

I can do if him help me to pronounce very well, the advantage now I have a friend is singer and have Protools console and a great profesional microphone. But... the bad new he is busy with their own business.

but I can still try with my old stuff.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:04 AM, Dade said:

@Dade another option could be to ask the Ubuntu community in your area if they can help.

• Like 1

@TenLeftFingers nice suggestion ty! :)

@Itms & @Lion.Kanzen while still looking for the equipment, I have been making questions. Translations from Voices Thread are correct, and they suggest me something about the battle cry which I actually can't remember (something they shout on stadium of Athletic de Bilbao). Moreover, they told me basque is read as written, meaning there are no particular pronunciation rules so far, except for Z pronounced as S (obviously read and talked by a Spanish speaking person, possibly with northern Spain accent).

I've done further searches and found this page with pronunciations of many languages including Euskera. For example, this is the page of irabazi (to victory!), but there are much more. This may be helpful in case I didn't get some proper equipment to record voices and/or they don't want to.

• Like 2

I Speak Spanish but I'm not from Spain.

what about that shout are cry by Athletic fans?

suggestion to recording.

get some time to capture enviroment sounds after record a voice session this way in edition the enviroment sound background will be removed.

drink whater before start

Vocalize before.

use diafragma to get good pitch, tone etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/16/2017 at 6:39 PM, GunChleoc said:

@TenLeftFingers Thanks for your offer of help!

Maybe some of your friends would enjoy working on the translation as well, to get Irish in the game? It is currently at 12%.

https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/0ad/language/ga/

I might be able to find some native speakers. But, I get a 403 for that link. I'm sure it was working when you posted, apologies for the delay.

16 minutes ago, GunChleoc said:

I guess that's Transifex blocking you, because you're not logged in. Public page of the project is: https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/public/

Go raibh míle maith agat!

Is it okay if I copy the untranslated words to a public spreadsheet? I'd like to encourage drive-by translators that way (who don't have accounts here) if possible and then copy the results across.

Áthas atá orm a dhéanamh!