New maps for a22

17 hours ago, Imarok said:

Sure this will not annoy/disturb more than it helps? (I mean we also don't disable docks on maps without water) (Additionally this will make the persist map settings bug really annoying)

About disabled techs:

Since it's done from a triggerscript, it's unrelated to the gamesettings. There is a ticket for disabling docks on non-water maps. Play that map and click on storehouses and tell me that wooden tech icon is useful. I don't believe it, it always distracted me as seeing a clickable wood upgrade button intuitively means to me to click it (as one basically always has at least 26 units gathering, and at that point researching it (the first one) means that the gatherrate is increased further as when investing the same amount of wood into more wood gatherers (ignoring food cost)).

But good point, I forgot we could do it from the JSON file too. As with the rest of the map, I took inspiration from survival which also has the same code blob (and I'm expecting to add further code that will later have to be unified too).

About Sun Elevation:

On the previous version, the rotation is randomized while the inclination is fixed. I agree with lowering the sun elevation so that the shadows are deeper. That solves the issue of repetitive textures that became apparent by removing the overbrightness effect wowgetoffyourcellphone refered to. Guess we might still want to randomize the elevation so that we often have that nice effect while keeping mapgens unique on all ends.

Does it have to be random? Can just find 3 or 4 good lighting settings of consistent aesthetic and randomize between those. That way you know the map will always  look good.

You can do what you want to do with disabling techs and buildings, but I think you may open a can of snakes. For instance, you should disable the cartography tech then in non-team games -- 1v1 and locked-team free for alls. But what if there is a 1v1v2. Disable the tech for the first two player and not the last two. Got the code for that? :)  There are a lot of edge case like this, so if you want to be consistent, be prepared to go all the way, IMHO. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

Imho things should only be disabled, when you must not use them on this map (like the lighthouse on the map with the many tiny lakes). When things cannot be used on this map or wouldn't make sense for this map, it should be up to the player to realize that.

8 hours ago, elexis said:

I don't believe it, it always distracted me as seeing a clickable wood upgrade button intuitively means to me to click it (as one basically always has at least 26 units gathering, and at that point researching it (the first one) means that the gatherrate is increased further as when investing the same amount of wood into more wood gatherers (ignoring food cost)).

but as the map has no wood, you won't get 26 units gathering wood ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elexis said:

> Disable the tech for the first two player and not the last two

Could be done from a trigger script, not that hard actually. I don't like it, but the wooden tech was really bothering me when playing and removing it feels like polishing.

I understand. Just don't polish 1 map though, keep eye out for other cases too. 

On 26.2.2017 at 1:18 PM, Imarok said:

Imho things should only be disabled, when you must not use them on this map (like the lighthouse on the map with the many tiny lakes). When things cannot be used on this map or wouldn't make sense for this map, it should be up to the player to realize that.

but as the map has no wood, you won't get 26 units gathering wood ;)

Maybe smart people won't click the upgrade, but every newcomer does before understanding the map. It's been the case with survival. People building farmsteads despite fields being absent from the build list. Also building storehouses when there's not a single resource near them. If those buildings are missing from the list, they realize that they have to think differently. If they built it, they wasted almost half their initial wood (survival with low/medium res) and defeated themselves.

Even if people are aware that the building/tech is not useful, each time they see the entry they are reminded to by no means click on that thing. Sorry for my somewhat strong opinion. :-s

Removing docks from undockable maps doesn't have the same issue as the dock can't be placed anywhere, so its not possible to waste resources.

Do share the "meh who cares" argument for the vision tech, though not a strong opinion against it.

On 25.2.2017 at 10:00 AM, niektb said:

We could try something completely different too (like a sunrise, but notice that the settings below could and should be tweaked further):

2017-02-25_09_56_09-.png

Changing the tint is mostly noticeable around the edges of the water, here I changed the tint from gray to orange:

2017-02-25 09_58_41-Atlas - Scenario Editor - (untitled).png2017-02-25 09_58_59-Atlas - Scenario Editor - (untitled).png

In the most recent update of https://code.wildfiregames.com/D156:

• Add minimum distance 15 between wolf spawn points, so that two spawn points can't end up right besides each other, making it unfair for one player.
  • With a chance of 1/3, use exactly niektb's environment settings (besides a random sun angle and a random sun elevation that casts a significant shadow) suggested in https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/21519-new-maps-for-a22/#comment-327610
  • With a chance of 2/3 use a more randomized daylight environment setting (with a sun elevation that casts a significant shadow, but not as deep as we expect it on a sunrise/sunset time)
  • Use niektb's screenshot from the forum thread as a map preview

Deal?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2017 at 6:50 PM, soloooy0 said:

Is it possible to translate the map editor into Spanish?
On 3/1/2017 at 6:56 PM, elexis said:

Everything becomes translated on transifex, you just need an account there and can start http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Localization

@elexis are you sure about Atlas? I believe it wasn't localized in the initial localization system implementation, I didn't see any updates since then and can't find any related tickets/forum discussions.